That "News" Thread

Started by Gabi, January 22, 2007, 05:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on February 03, 2007, 05:50:07 PM
QuoteNews: I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. 

Well, all of the "Burt" quotes I'm assuming are from Tremors, and related sequels. But I've been wrong before.

I know for a fact that the "What's wrong with boot-blacking? We like it very much!" is from "Prince of Space.

(And the fact that I know that means I really, really need a life...)

DING DING, we have a winner! :3

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on February 03, 2007, 08:19:58 PMOh, fine, you win.  :<

Yes, I do win.

QuoteNews: Thank you superluser, for destroying my childhood dreams.  :cry

`swhat I do best.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Supercheese

I noticed that one remark said "American Football". I approve of this, as I watched a football match just a little while ago where Arsenal drew Middlesbrough.

superluser

I approve of anything that makes than lousy game that they're playing today more difficult to discuss.

Maybe they'll stop playing it, then.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 08:09:03 PM
Actually not.  The measure of the total amount of matter contained within an object is mass, and what comes out of a nuclear blast has less mass than what goes in.

Since it's being converted into photons, it's no longer matter.  Only fermions and a few bosons have mass.  I could get into the proof that photons don't have mass, but it's rather boring.

... which is utterly irrelevant, since I didn't claim that the mass remained constant.

I claimed that the sum of the system (when accounting for energy = mass * c^2) was constant. Some of the m is turned into e, in various forms, but the sum total is constant.

And yes, much of that is photons, which have negligible mass, at best (it's still a bit uncertain, last I checked - theory states no mass, but that's still unconfirmed, when you get into extremely high energy states, etc)

In fact, stating that "the mass goes down" is pretty much exactly what I said.

Now, according to the theories, it's possible to take energy and turn it back into mass, somehow, but we haven't figured out how, yet. If we could, you could, theoretically, take a nuclear explosion and turn it into a, erm, unspecified mass of gold.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for such technology, though. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 04, 2007, 08:02:27 AM... which is utterly irrelevant, since I didn't claim that the mass remained constant.

I claimed that the sum of the system (when accounting for energy = mass * c^2) was constant. Some of the m is turned into e, in various forms, but the sum total is constant.

You're winding me up on purpose, aren't you?

The matter is gone.  It's been converted into energy.  You can convert it back to matter again, but it's not matter just then.  And we do know how to do that.  For example, an electron can interact with a muon neutrino to form a muon and an electron neutrino.  There is more mass, and therefore more matter.

It's just that we don't know of any efficient way to do this synthetically.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 04, 2007, 08:02:27 AMAnd yes, much of that is photons, which have negligible mass, at best (it's still a bit uncertain, last I checked - theory states no mass, but that's still unconfirmed, when you get into extremely high energy states, etc)

Photons do not have mass.  We can prove this by looking at the equations for a photon's momentum.

p=h/λ (1)
p=γmv (2)
p=mv (3)

That second one should be a giveaway, since gamma is infinite at v=c.  But let's look at the non-relativistic version (3).  An observer moving away from the source of the photon sees a red shift, which changes the wavelength.  If the wavelength changes, then so does the momentum (1).  And since the momentum changes, but the velocity stays the same, the only thing left to change is the mass.  And mass cannot change like that.  There is such a concept as relativistic mass, but that is simply its invariant mass multiplied by the Lorentz factor (γ).

See also this article.

Aridas

IT DOESN'T MATTER. STOP WASTING ENERGY OR I'LL KICK YOUR MASS.

:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

As Aridas suggests, we're boring everyone else. So we should probably drop it here.

Plus, on review, I think you were right after all, and I was misreading what you were saying.... :-)

Aridas

D:

I put all that effort into "it" for it to be missed?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, I laughed. Just not very much. :-)

RJ

I found a new movie to quote >:3

superluser

QuoteNews: To the last, I will grapple with thee.

I would have expected the more traditional ``from hell's heart I stab at thee!''

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 04, 2007, 08:47:09 PMI put all that effort into "it" for it to be missed?

I thought you should have gone with ¡No Mass! ¡No Mass!  And anyways, I think I was the one who first suggested that it would be boring.

xHaZxMaTx

Huzzah for Family Guy quotes.

TheGreyRonin

What happened to the "Wrath Of Khan" quotes?

(Oh God, just shoot me now....)

RJ

The secret squirrel changes the quotes every day or so.

Aridas

Secret squirrel? YOU MEAN THERE'S ANOTHER?!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Stygian

...In other news, that "News" message is misspelled. Can see now why it got taken off.

The proper way to say it is: "Vi ber om ursäkt för felen med nyheterna. De ansvariga har blivit sparkade."

Which directly translates very well and clearly to: "We ask about apologization for faults (pluralis definite form) with news (again, pluralis definite. Swedish doesn't have a "the", you see). Those responsible (pluralis, becomes definite in junction with "de") have been kicked (which suggests the ass, and means "sacked" in Swedish).

Thank you for letting me be of service.

ITOS

It was more fun with the wrong translation. :P
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Xuzaf D

QuoteNo, you idiot, the song is not called "Teenage Wasteland". Stop using LimeWire.
Man... the number of times people get that wrong without the use of LimeWire...

Eibborn

AGPHLAZZBIT NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS <3<3

....Forgive me. :mowignore
/kicks the internet over

RJ

Quote from: Eibbor_N on February 13, 2007, 04:00:34 PM
AGPHLAZZBIT NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS <3<3

....Forgive me. :mowignore

:) Eheheheheee...

Alan Garou

Kudos! I love that movie! I can sing every single song in it from memory. I'm creepy like that.  :)

xHaZxMaTx

That makes sense.  Danny Elfamn's a creepy guy.

bill

Danny Elfman likes tritones. He is truly a great man.

xHaZxMaTx

He also likes little girls. :<

bill

But... but... the tritones!  :U

xHaZxMaTx

What's with you and tri-tones, anyway? :/

Stygian

Boog

Nightmare before christmas posts. Kinda obligated to remark on the unfathomable awesomeness thereof. Woa-oh, woa-oh...