That "News" Thread

Started by Gabi, January 22, 2007, 05:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

llearch n'n'daCorna

I blame Darkmoon, myself.

But then, so does everyone. Failing him, I'd be pointing my finger accusingly at RJ.

Kasarn

I think it was Amber with the rope in the kitchen!

bill

Quote from: Gabi on January 22, 2007, 11:55:47 AM
Who, then? Bill?
As much as I like messing with news, it wasn't me. Though the style sounds like me... I think I've been set up! D:

Gabi

Who will solve the news mystery now? Do we have a detective among us?

Darkmoon

Definitely wasn't me. I was trying to figure out how the hell Gabi got power, actually. ;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Gabi

Me? Heh. I'm flattered, but I'm not into hacking. That can get you fame, hate and fear, but not true respect. I'd much rather have the latter.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Gabi

For a broad enough definition of 'here', yes, I was.

Azlan

Quote from: Gabi on January 22, 2007, 06:01:25 PM
Me? Heh. I'm flattered, but I'm not into hacking. That can get you fame, hate and fear, but not true respect. I'd much rather have the latter.

I'd much rather have the fame, hate and fear.  I have the hate in massive abundance, no fame yet, and a fair amount of fear.  I'm doing okay so far, but I'd like to trade in some of this hate for fame.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

superluser

Quote from: The News TickerBlame Bill
Quote from: The News TickerI stole all your candy! What're you gonna do about it?!

OK.  This is getting strange.  To the News hacker, might I suggest ``Did I not instruct that news box 5 was to be left empty?''

Edit: You know, I did notice that llearch never actually denied doing it...

Edit edit:

QuoteI'm watching you, superluser. Don't think I'm not.

I am sorely tempted to start cyber-stripping, but that would creep me out.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Azlan

The identity of the news "hacker" is not important, nor are they themselves... its just a cute little play thing.

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on January 22, 2007, 10:53:09 PMThe identity of the news "hacker" is not important, nor are they themselves... its just a cute little play thing.

Well, Clue isn't important, either.  Fun, though.

(Once llearch put up there that he wasn't doing it, it became pretty obvious who it was.  That and I totally missed when he said ``...I told you she was here....''  I figured he meant Damaris, since she hadn't been mentioned.)

Ah, well.  I do hope that I've caused some mental anguish by making you imagine Patrick McGoohan naked.  I'd add ``It's a Man's Life Taking Your Clothes off in Public,'' but that might be over the top.

llearch n'n'daCorna

As the saying goes, "I'm not alone in this mess"

I did some, but not all, of the "hacking" - but, as Azlan suggests, 'twas all in fun...

Azlan

QuoteVi be om ursäkt för felen inne om nyheter. Den här ansvarig har blitt plundra.

What exactly does this mean?  Isn't there a rule on this type of thing... good fun or not, rules are rules.

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on January 24, 2007, 07:05:42 PM
QuoteVi be om ursäkt för felen inne om nyheter. Den här ansvarig har blitt plundra.

What exactly does this mean?  Isn't there a rule on this type of thing... good fun or not, rules are rules.

Well, it's not in the forum.  Technically it's a little above the forum.

Personally, I'm waiting for the llamas.  ;)

Sid

Feel free, Tiger (if you actually meant me... but without quotes saying otherwise, I'll just assume you meant my post just above yours - and why are the disclaimers often longer than the actual message, anyway?) :P

And Azlan... a quick and random Google search for "nyheter" points to Swedish. :erk

Lemme see if I can puzzle this one out with the help of the Phoenix Oracle Internet.
Vi - we
be om ursäkt - apologize
för - for/to/of/by/[some more]
felen - mistake/fault
inne - in/inside
om - of/about/by/round/about/again/...
nyheter - news
Den - he/she/it/the
här - here/host/army
ansvarig - responsible/answerable/liable
har - have
blitt - [not directly in an online dictionary, so it may be a conjugated verb. I guess it's the equivalent of "been"]
plundra - rob/loot/plunder

So in the end, I guess it's just the Swedish version of the English News: "We apologize for the fault in the news. Those responsible have been sacked."

And tsk tsk tsk. Silly Azlan! Rules are just for the non-Admins! :rolleyes
:boogie

Aridas

It sounds very babelfishy, what with the wrong word usage on the end that doesn't go with the intended meaning of "sacked".

bill

That's called laziness. Not to imply that I did it, of course.  :B

Alan Garou

Why is the news hacker targeting me? And why did the forum not let me post the word "sacked" until I tricked it with the Edit feature?

bill

You couldn't post "Sacked"? What did it tell you?

superluser

Quote from: Alan Garou on January 24, 2007, 09:39:16 PMWhy is the news hacker targeting me?

You were talking about me.  And that's a no no.  I guess.  Er.

As to why s/he is targeting me, well, I'll just leave that to your imagination.  It won't be as interesting as the truth, though.

(P.S. I don't know why everyone's so up in arms about my use of the term `hacker.'  I certainly didn't mean to imply that there was a |33+ HAXX0R, just that someone was hacking the news, in the same sense that putting a car on top of the MIT dome is hacking the MIT dome.)

Azlan

A real hacker here, really now.  This is not high profile enough.  There's no status or bragging rights for breaking in here and messing with the news.

Aridas

besides, it's not hacking if you already have permissions... but it is damn annoying.

Azlan

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 24, 2007, 10:48:01 PM
besides, it's not hacking if you already have permissions... but it is damn annoying.

That depends on the point of view... some administration/moderation here might be hack jobs though...  >:3

Gabi

Quote from: Sid on January 24, 2007, 07:36:41 PM
And tsk tsk tsk. Silly Azlan! Rules are just for the non-Admins! :rolleyes
I hope that's not true. I hate double standards. If the rules are not for everyone, then there can hardly be a good reason for them to be rules.

[Edit: "Those who were supposed to sack those who needed to be sacked have also been sacked"?... Oookay...]

llearch n'n'daCorna

As I see it, the only exceptions admins have are those required to actually do the job.

eg, spamming or double posting in the course of duties, etc.

And, also as I see it, one can bend rules if one is amusing. This particular case, the translation was also posted, so it's kinda borderline. And it's funny, which gives it a little slack.

... I'll admit that I may have a strange sense of humour. :-)

Darkmoon

There was a translation posted. Case closed.

Here's a llama, there's a llama...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...