HATEHATEHATEHATEWARNERBROS.....

Started by Teroniss, January 15, 2007, 09:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

I just saw Warner Bros. ad for the new Thundercats show, and all i can say is "KILLKILLKILL*clawhand*MAIMMAIMMAIM.

Theyre doing the damn show in Americanized-anime style and making them teenagers........

Brunhidden

Quote from: Teroniss on January 15, 2007, 09:14:57 PM
Theyre doing the damn show in Americanized-anime style and making them teenagers........

ya know, somehow that makes perfect sense.

can anyone tell me that despite working for a newspaper i actually get most of my news here?

QuoteThat is so sad on a variety of levels
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

xHaZxMaTx

So it's like Teen Titans all over again?

Teroniss

They can have Teen Titans, I was never a big DC fan. But now raping my damned childhood with a spiky lead pipe by making this one........

The only thing that could be worse then this would be if Disney remade Rescue Rangers into an anime-style show

Manawolf

Note to network execs, you do not need to try and make your characters younger in some stupid ploy to attract more fans.  Frankly kids don't care what age the characters are, and you're only alienated old fans with these gimmicks.

And Teen Titans were originally teenagers (hence the name), so it was less of a stretch.  To be honest, the comics had them looking a lot older than teenagers, but then again, I liked Starfire's "Peg Bundy" hairstyle.

Angel

Quote from: Teroniss on January 15, 2007, 09:14:57 PM
I just saw Warner Bros. ad for the new Thundercats show, and all i can say is "KILLKILLKILL*clawhand*MAIMMAIMMAIM.

:erk  :erk  :erk

.... :dface ......

>:O

Now that my face has reacted appropriately...

WHAT THE BLEEDING HELL DO THEY THINK THEY'RE DOING!?!? TEENAGE ANIME THUNDERCATS!?!?!?! I MEAN, GRAH! DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE ANIME-FIED IN ORDER TO BE COOL?! CAN'T AMERICAN ANIMATORS HAVE ONE ORIGINAL IDEA?! FIRST THE LOONEY TUNES, AND NOW THIS!! WHAT'S NEXT, THE FREAKING MUPPETS?!?!? THEY'RE DESTROYING NOT ONLY THE HUMBLE BUT AWESOME BEGINNINGS OF AMERICAN ANIMATION, BUT MURDERING EVERY LAST BIT OF CREATIVITY ABOUT ANIME!!! THOSE STUPID, NARROW-MINDED, STEREOTYPING, OVERGREEDY LEMMINGS!!!!!!  :tantrum  :boom

(breathe, breathe, breathe)

OK, I'm done.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Teroniss

This whole, americanized-anime crap is just getting old....They do it with everything now. X-men, DC, He-Man, Transformers, and now Thundercats. These people are slowly sucking away the soul of good old television......

Brunhidden

i actually liked X-men evolution, not for any kind of story continutity but because it had a bit of a fun feel to a serious endeavor.

keep in mind with all this that anything as crappy as theyre trying to do will undoubtedly either fail after only one season or supprise us all and be somewhat good. essentially they get what they put into it, and a lot of it will depend on what writers they get.

you dont think theres any chance that anyone could revive the rankin bass style of animation again? movies like the last unicorn, flight of dragons, the animated version of the hobbit, thundercats, thundercats less popular cousin silverhawks, and so fourth...well, they all were something special in a way that completely ignored common sense. maybe the art style was more whimsical or something, i dunno.

QuoteIn the event of a crash please feel free to scream like an idiot and run in circles.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Manawolf

I feel that some of the American animators are to blame, thinking back to a few godawful cartoons played alongside anime shows on Saturday mornings.  Due to the quality, the anime shows seemed to do better than the American shows.  So the execs got it into their tiny brains that the kids liked anime more, and not the fact that the shows they were making were simply horrible to begin with.  They could give a congratulatory boot to their heads for the rampant censoring they do along with the gimmicks they try to throw into their shows.  So many good American shows were lost because of these things, stuff like The Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, and just about every cartoon classic that's been raped thanks to an anime'd rehash, from the Batman Animated Series, to Transformers.

It is a bleak time for cartoons to say the least.

superluser

Prefatory note:  I am an American, and I can attest that quite a few of us hate, hate *hate* the crap that's coming out of the studios today.  And not because of the whole ``culture war/Liberal Hollywood'' BS.  We hate it because it's bad (and the stuff that we do like tends to be the stuff that the culture warriors decry).

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on January 15, 2007, 10:24:50 PMyou dont think theres any chance that anyone could revive the rankin bass style of animation again?

The one thing that you have to remember about Rankin-Bass, as well as a lot of feature-length animation from that time period was that they were very heavy on the recycling of animation.  That would not fly today.

Klasky-Csupo was probably one of the leaders in eliminating a lot of that animation recycling.  The Simpsons (when they were with KC) reused very little animation, and now that pretty much everything is digital ink and paint (Ugh!), you're expected to not reuse any animation.

If you were to do a Rankin-Bass style feature today, it would probably cost 2-3 times as much (even adjusting for inflation), and take twice as long to do it.

Now, I would *love* to see another Rankin-Bass style film.  I'm just not sure that you could finance it.

A style that I would also give a few teeth for would be the old 1920's era semi-cubist, with woodcut-style shading style.

Of course, I can't draw, and I don't even seem to be able to learn how to draw, so...

On a tangent, I presume that you've heard about the (now-cancelled) live-action version of The Last Unicorn?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Blazehawk

:( My inner child died a little, I think.

*goes to play Dragon's Lair to revive it*  :sword

Teroniss

On a tangent, I presume that you've heard about the (now-cancelled) live-action version of The Last Unicorn?

You presume correct sir. Actually, I was disappointed to hear that one was cancelled. I was reading through some of the production notes on that one, and it looked like it might have been decent.

superluser

Quote from: Teroniss on January 15, 2007, 11:44:02 PM
QuoteOn a tangent, I presume that you've heard about the (now-cancelled) live-action version of The Last Unicorn?
You presume correct sir. Actually, I was disappointed to hear that one was cancelled. I was reading through some of the production notes on that one, and it looked like it might have been decent.

It would have starred Christopher Lee as King Haggard (he previously starred in both the English and German versions of the Rankin-Bass version), which would have been great.  Unfortunately, it appears that Peter S. Beagle was not affiliated with the film.  :<

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

I persume a angered inner child intervention is viewed soon

Distracting

My inner child is just really sad and trying to cut it's wrists with a shaving razor. Poor, misguided, uneducated inner child...

"THUNDERCATS! HO!"

That's how it went, right?

Vidar

More bad news: the new setting is a modern city, and each of the thundercats gets a musical instrument: they're a rock-band this time instead of the last survivors of a cat-like race stranded on pre-historic earth.
Also, Snarf is the leader instead of Lion-o. SNARF! The comic-relief character! The leader!
>:O 'A'  :cry
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Turnsky

wow, so not surprised.

let's face it folks, Warner bros lost the plot the moment Freakazoid and animaniacs went off the air.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Quote from: Vidar on January 16, 2007, 04:02:47 AM
More bad news: the new setting is a modern city, and each of the thundercats gets a musical instrument: they're a rock-band this time instead of the last survivors of a cat-like race stranded on pre-historic earth.
Also, Snarf is the leader instead of Lion-o. SNARF! The comic-relief character! The leader!
>:O 'A'  :cry

:shifty.... Them ---->  :analprobe <----- Me

RJ

And I was sad enough when I saw they had gotten rid of all the fantasy from My Little Pony... The unicorns and flying ponies were awesome! Why did they get rid of them?!   :cry

Toric

Snarf is the leader of the Thundercats............. Borrowing a quote from O Brother Where Art Thou, "that don't make no sense!" He was Lion-o's friggin' nanny for crying out loud! Oh well, seems like they're stealing every ratings-boost gimmick that has ever existed in cartooning. I'll just sit back and laugh when they combine the powers of their instruments to form the Thundertank and the robear-burbles look like mutant Pikachu clones. .....Actually, if those two both happen, I'll weep.
Yap by Silver.

Aridas

Well, they haven't done anything right since cancelling... or whatever they did.. those older shows.

vulpesweasel

truly sad...you know, to be honest this doesn't surprise me at all. The big television companies are corrupting what was once good TV into this sad attempt at good shows. Look at Disney for god's sake, you hardly ever see Mickey mouse anymore, it's all those teen shows like lizzie mcguire or whatever...pathetic. As much as I would expect then to ruin what was once a good show, i would NEVER expect something good like Thundercats...pretty soon Mickey mouse will probably be turned anime as well...we're all doomed.

Aridas

But you know what? it still exists because people actually like that crap.

Zedd

Yes we know Ari but seriously...Why would they spend time and time not really reserch the leader was orignaly Jaga not Snarf!  Thats what happens when devlopers only skim not actruely watch!

RushFox

Quote from: vulpesweasel on January 16, 2007, 05:45:59 PM
truly sad...you know, to be honest this doesn't surprise me at all. The big television companies are corrupting what was once good TV into this sad attempt at good shows. Look at Disney for god's sake, you hardly ever see Mickey mouse anymore, it's all those teen shows like lizzie mcguire or whatever...pathetic. As much as I would expect then to ruin what was once a good show, i would NEVER expect something good like Thundercats...pretty soon Mickey mouse will probably be turned anime as well...we're all doomed.

Actually...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f8/23/2fcb820dd7a0afda345ce010._AA240_.L.jpg

I actually viewed this while working at Sam's Club. Not only is it bad 3D, but it has a "Dora The Explorer" rip-off plot. Sorry about that.

As for this show, I'll stick to my DVD's. Nothing can taint them...  >(

Manawolf

Okay, seriously, did these guys not notice how bad Sonic Underground did?  Maybe not, that show got buried in the desert alongside ET soon after it appeared on TV.

Toric

Ugh.... I remember Sonic Underground. That's actually the first thing that came to mind upon reading this thread, well, after Loonatics of course. Sonic and his two sibs somehow solved the problem in each episode with the power of rock, and his little bro could literally cause earthquakes with his drumset. EARTHQUAKES! WITH DRUMS! Again, ugh.....

I gave the new TMNT a chance because they did at least somewhat keep the spirit of the original animated cartoon (though I really had to suspend my disbelief in the episode with the intergalactic ninja that challenged Leo to a ninja-duel), but this'll be probably too much.
Yap by Silver.

Teroniss

Its crap like this that cause me to contemplate murder each and every day, and not violent movies or video games that all these crazy lawyers keep trying convince people of......

Afterall, how can violent video games compare to old money hungry CEO farts that decide, "Hey, theres a cartoon we havent destroyed yet, lets grab it and rape the older generation's childhood some more."

RJ

Oh geez, I remember Sonic Underground too. I hated it. I must have been pretty young, yet I still knew it was illogical and lame.

Does anyone remember Biker Mice from Mars? *headdesks*

Aridas

Toric: More believable than any other cartoon i'd know. don't hate it because it's a new formula. That's reserved for the "other" sonic cartoon