Why People Believe Americans are Stupid

Started by xHaZxMaTx, January 06, 2007, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

Valynth

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 06, 2007, 11:25:21 PM
This is older than the Pope.

So is stupidity which we've been trying to erradicate.  Strangely the Pope's power has declined as we've gotten smarter....  Does anyone else see a connection here?

Anyway, what do they expect just asking random Americans about stuff that they will probably never deal with and therefore never care about?  It's a rare few Americans who actually care about the world outside our borders, mainly because the rest of the world outside our borders are so incompetant that they need us to bail them out half the time (we export HOW MUCH of the world's food right now?).  Seriously, we're probably the only country who's poor are the fat ones.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

bill

There are stupid people in America. Amazingly enough, there are also stupid people in Belgium. And in every other country in the world (except Norway). Stupidity is everywhere. In massive numbers. The stupidity meter is broken.

Dakata

I think it's funny how an old guy didn't know how many world wars there are.

LOL DUMBASS

Manawolf

You know they never actually show people who actually got it right with these things.  Seriously, was this in New York.  Ugh, if their public schools are assigned numbers, you know something is wrong.

Kasarn

Yeah, the Chaser do political satire and social commentary. They sometimes take things out of context... or just make up the context...

*pimps site*
http://www.chaser.com.au

Episodes 22-28 from last year's The Chaser's War on Everything are available for free
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/war/vodcast/

If you turn on the Triple J stream right now you can listen to the fill-in show Bloody Sunday with Chris and Craig from the Chaser. They're currently talking about Wikipedia and how their corrections to their own pages were reverted.

superluser

On the other hand, it could be like this: When was the Treaty of Adrianople?

Oh, and for all the intelligent Americans out there, how many seats in the US Senate?  What about 50 years ago?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Aridas

It didn't really help that that map that they wanted people to point things out on was a fake map that had misleading names on it. It's very much possible there was someone there who actually knew but was fooled by the fake map.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 07, 2007, 12:36:39 AMIt's very much possible there was someone there who actually knew but was fooled by the fake map.

Dude, the fake name was on the country of Australia.  It's a friggin' continent.  At the very least, you should know what continent the country you want to invade is in.

Or was that supposed to be sarcasm?

P.S. I get most of my news via the radio, so I can't for the life of me remember what John Howard looks like.

Aridas

Well, you can believe me when I say I'm no good at maps. That doesn't make me stupid, that just means I have a terrible memory for maps. Speaking of this video though, sometimes a few of the questions seem purposely vague, making them difficult to understand as it is, to be taken out of context by us. ("Do you support the president's stance on Kyrgyzstan?")

Kasarn

People will say anything when you stick a camera in front of them.

superluser

By the way, does anyone know what map projection they're using in that?  It's clearly not Mercator.  New Zealand is below Australia, for example.

Aridas

And besides, just watch a show like "Street Smarts", I don't really care where you're from, people everywhere are hideously undereducated in any subject.

Brunhidden

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 06, 2007, 11:36:41 PM
There are stupid people in America. Amazingly enough, there are also stupid people in Belgium. And in every other country in the world (except Norway). Stupidity is everywhere. In massive numbers. The stupidity meter is broken.

How did you know i was planning to move to norway? yeah, chances are they wont let me in, but im thinking if i change my name to Hraffn and claim in a berzerker baker. think theyd buy it?

anyways, you have to remember two things with this vidio.

1- stupid people are a minority everywhere, however they are a hgihly visible minority. the ease at which the thunderously stupid seem to locate cameras and coordinate thier actions to overlap with other idiots is eerie in its level of planning.

2- the point of this film is to prove americans are stupid, so any example of random person on the street who actually got a question mostly right was thrown on the trash. so estimate this film of a few minutes in length took about two hours of interviews and only the REALLY stupid lines made it in.

also, as a side note, if your interviewing people abot trivia....try and make sure you speak in an accent they understand. it took me like three minutes to figure out he was trying to say 'hiroshima' and 'nagasaki' but merely mangled the names so bad it sounded like a french comedy duo.

QuoteI hope you brought enough stupid for the rest of the class.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kasarn

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on January 07, 2007, 02:13:01 AM
also, as a side note, if your interviewing people abot trivia....try and make sure you speak in an accent they understand. it took me like three minutes to figure out he was trying to say 'hiroshima' and 'nagasaki' but merely mangled the names so bad it sounded like a french comedy duo.

It's not their problem that they are Australian, it's yours.

superluser

Quote from: Kasarn on January 07, 2007, 02:26:32 AMIt's not their problem that they are Australian, it's yours.

Well, to be fair, it's an Australian accent on Japanese words.  And he does butcher them pretty badly.  Unfortunately, it's butchered in a way that should be recognizable to most Americans.

P.S.  Oddly enough, KFC's parent company is indeed based in Kentucky, though until 1997, it was based in New York.

P.P.S. Which state does Pace Picante Sauce come from?

Eibborn

I just wonder how many intelligent responses they received. Certainly a lot more than the ridiculous responses that they showed.

Howeverrrr.... Has anyone seen 'Talking to Americans?' It's more of the same, really. Just from a different source.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo
All the other countries get together and gossip about America behind it's back.  >:3
/kicks the internet over

xHaZxMaTx

I met a guy on the train while I was in Canada who told me about that video. :lol

Zedd

Meh as funny may be but all these show just blow monkeyshit.....Sides I rather watch paint dry off my own house and answer odvious stupid questions that doesnt take a twenty cented brain of a human cant answer anyhow if you want to ask stupid people...Ask other than americans....Ask people about shit about things about their own crap insteded...Some people probley wont rember that...Thank you... :chainsaw

LionHeart

Quote from: superluser on January 07, 2007, 12:41:57 AM
...I get most of my news via the radio, so I can't for the life of me remember what John Howard looks like.

Kinda like this:

Sorry, wrong pic:

...am I the only one who sees the resemblance?
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

RJ

OH NOES IT'S JOHN HOWARD! D:

And yes, we are relatively sure that it's actually his eyebrows that run the country, not him.

Kasarn

I thought George W. Bush ran our country nowadays. We should, like, make him the Governor-General. I'm pretty sure the Queen wouldn't have a problem with it :E

Aridas

Quote from: Zedd on January 07, 2007, 05:41:14 AM
Meh as funny may be but all these show just blow monkeyshit.....Sides I rather watch paint dry off my own house and answer odvious stupid questions that doesnt take a twenty cented brain of a human cant answer anyhow if you want to ask stupid people...Ask other than americans....Ask people about shit about things about their own crap insteded...Some people probley wont rember that...Thank you... :chainsaw
Someone's got issues >.>

Sid

Only managed to watch half the video before my internal Stupid-o-meter exploded. Yes, they of course only pick the dumbest examples, but "How many sides does a triangle have?" and the map on which FRANCE is its own continent close to the south pole... ouch... xD
Maybe not exactly objective or representative, but still highly entertaining :D
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

OK.  Now this is a trick question, so think carefully.  What is the capital of Australia?

Alan Garou

Every person is an idiot, and every person is insane. Some are just more obvious.

fesworks

Quote from: superluser on January 07, 2007, 01:01:19 PM
OK.  Now this is a trick question, so think carefully.  What is the capital of Australia?

Well, googling it returns "Canberra" in the first few posts.

Sydny is the biggest city, I believe.

other than looking it up, no freaking way I'd know that, much like capitals of the states, I could also care less about their capitals... why learn what you can look up? Especially if you'll most likely never travel to there? All I need to know is about where I live as far as where things are. The Capital of Minnesota is St. Paul. People who live here are idiots if they say Minneapolis, which is the bigger city... collectively they are know as the "Twin Cities". Duluth is up north on Lake Superior, that is another major city, and the main roadways are I94, I35, State Highway 55, and U.S. Highway 10. I live in St. Cloud which is a big city in an of itself, but I think most other bigger cities make fun of us as a "wannabe" big city.