How the world will end

Started by Zedd, December 04, 2006, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight

I'm as much up for the next doomsday asteroid as the next pessimist, but that was retardedly overblown, for serious, guys.

llearch n'n'daCorna

+++ Out of cheese error +++ +++ Please reboot universe and try again +++
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

The world will end when god rips one front of a lighter

komissarmakarov

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on December 04, 2006, 07:25:32 PM
Hey, sometimes when the end is coming you just have to sit back and laugh.
Thanks http://www.exitmundi.nl/ :3

Damn, you beat me to it! :rolleyes

Great site, that :mwaha

Dakata

Quote from: Zedd on December 07, 2006, 08:50:09 PM
The world will end when god rips one front of a lighter
No, Zedd, That's how God made the universe. :<

DON'T YOU WATCH FAMILY GUY? D:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z82lm5oGQ

Zedd

*farts in Daks genreal dirrection*

Brunhidden

im supprised not a one of theese ideas has anything to do with loki leading an army of flaming giants to smash everything, a wolf eating the sun, and armies of the damned sailing on ships made of toenail clippings (dont forget, prolong doomsday by trimming the toenails of your dearly departed before burial)

ahem, one of the most realistic doomsdays (and what happened after, 'doomsday' happens in the first third of the book) ive ever heard of was detailed in "hammerfall" by larry niven. set in the late 70s or the early 80s it depicts a large comet (COMET. NOT METEOR, NOT ASTEROID. COMMET) named after the man who discovered it (tim hamner) and everyone was excited that it would pass very close to earth so scientists could study it. during the hype jhonny carson had tim on his show and made the slip of calling it the 'hammer' and after that everyone flipped and caught was was called 'hammer fever' by running for the hills and buying all kinds of survival gear.

the scientists kepts saying it was a million to one chance of hitting the earth, it was close in astrinomical terms, but wouldnt even come as close as five times the distance to the moon. they then set up a joint mission between apollo and soyuz (this was back in the time of the USSR) to study it and send back data

the data said chances were a thousand to one of it hitting

then a hundred to one

they were relaying a warning to NASA when half the comet broke into giant chunks of ice filled with rocks the size of small hills, and the chunks struck the earth.  normally it would be considered that theese were fairly small items to hit the earth, and mostly water ice and not rock. the problem is the speed of the impact, insanely fast they spend less then two seconds in the atmosphere so they dont slow at all, obviously most of them ipact water. the heat produced was only about one fifth of the heat produced by the world in a year (coal, gas, buffalo chips, space hearers, everything) but it would be released in under five minutes.

the seas boil, the astronauts could see bare land in the middle of oceans where the chunks hit, and thats all they could see due to the clouds that arose. megatsunami eight times as tall as any recorded slammed every seacost, and in the following days would bounce to repeat thier trips five times. for four weeks a deiluge of warm muddy salt rain washed all the crops away and soured the ground for years to come. earthquakes shake everywhere and the entire ring of fire explodes as pent up energy from the fault lines are unleased.

most of europe that isnt mountants is in ruins, england dosent even have a clue there were ever building there, china and russia nuke each other. north africa, japan, southeast asia, every island in the world, and more then half of australia dont even show up on a map anymore while the middleast breaks into a war that will be fought with knives when the bullets run out

an ice age comes, the months of perpetual cloud cover reflect most of the suns light into space, the resulting snowfall will continue to do the same for centuries.

all that happens in the first third of the book, the rest is about how the survivors (it follows several individuals, including tim hamner, the senetor of california, a colnol, a gang leader, a sex offender, a nuclear engeneer, a hippie postman, a diabetic scientist, and a TV doccumentary maker all make the list) make thier way through the post apocalyptic world, realising how dependant they were on civilisation and how the hammer only ended CIVILISATION while it was people who would be the end of the world.  theft is the least of the sins of man, when gas runs out and half the country is underwater a little thing like a division of the US army turned cannibal is barely on the top five thigns to worry about.

now, dosent that make zombies seem like something thats 'doable'?

oh yes, scientists have found theres a really big asteroid headed for earth,. it wont be here for over twenty five years but theyve already have ideas on how to stop it from coliding with the earth. the scenario is theres a line where on one side itll pass harmlessly and miss the earth by a few million miles, on the other side it gets sucked into our toiletbowl of gravity and nails us. this particular asteroid is ONE mile inside the line, so we only have to move the sucker about a mile or so in one dirrection to be completely safe.

QuoteAll the destruction and might of Nature cannot hold a candle to Man
[/glow]
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Hey burn...Thanks for sharring that...Havent seen you in awhile

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on December 05, 2006, 02:39:36 PM
I agree with Aisha.  The world will never really end untill it's completely destroyed, blown to tiny bits.  The world may end as we know it, the human race may become extinct, but something else will survive, even if it's an amoeba.  It will adapt, multiply, evolve, and over millions of years, it will probably develop into some sort of sentient being.

actually, even then the world will not cease to exist, if I remember correctly. the bits would eventually reform into the planet unless they're blown really far apart. at least, that's what I read somewhere. some site about ways to actually end the earth, and not just erase all human life.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Valynth

Alright, here's the absolute end of the world:  Sun grows to a big red giant, earth as we know is destroyed by this is simple process, but I'll continue.  The sun then collapses in on itself and ethier explodes or implodes.  and bam, thats the COMPLETE destruction of the earth.  And the only way to achieve COMPLETE destruction.  All this other crap is just about the fall of man.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Piffle. Time it right, you could bounce the moon into the earth, shifting the earth's orbit into decaying into the sun.

Sure, it'd take some nukes on the other side of the moon to do it, but it could well be done.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 23, 2006, 10:31:08 AM
Piffle. Time it right, you could bounce the moon into the earth, shifting the earth's orbit into decaying into the sun.

Sure, it'd take some nukes on the other side of the moon to do it, but it could well be done.

or a god with a pool cue..

there are so many ways of ending human life on earth.. including some fantasmical methods.. i'll leave that to the imagination, however.. just bear in mind you don't have to kill a single person to wipe out the human race..  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..