2006-12-02: News flash - Devin is a smartarse!

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, December 01, 2006, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meech

Abel is a magic user at this point.  I am curious to know how powerful he is.  Can he hold his own against a Paladin?  I'm not sure if Devon knows that Abel can use magic.  I don't believe that he does know.  I think that they may all be surprised to find out that Abel is the most powerful one among them.  He is currently very inexperienced at fighting, but he has been using magic since he started school in Zinvth.  I say that something goes wrong and Abel ends up blasting his way out of there. 

Far Reaching Speculation: The real monster will show up and there will be one heck of a fight.  Abel's magic will save the day.  All will live and become good friends.  In the end, Abel's head wings will pop out and ruin everything.  Abel is sad because his new friends now hate him.

EDIT:  What if the monster turns out to be Abel's creature parent? (not likely)

Roureem Egas

Quote from: superluser on December 02, 2006, 12:11:52 AM
Quote from: Alondro on December 02, 2006, 12:00:41 AM
Devin wouldn't automatically conclude that Abel's a cubi, because the angel race has wings too.  And then there's the parental-magic-exposure-side-effect thing.   

Glory, on the other hand, might have a sense for such things.  We shall see just how much she can detect.   :3

Well, isn't Devin a paladin or some such, too?  ``I took a vow to protect all beings, regardless of how I feel about them personally''?  Couldn't he know or sense it in Abel?

You don't have to be a paladin to agree with their ideals, you know. :3

Zaon

I think something similar to when his mom and him were playing when he was young before the talk with the princable
It has all of the settings and everything
all we need isthe griffala XD

superluser

Quote from: Roureem Egas on December 02, 2006, 12:22:50 AM
Quote from: superluser on December 02, 2006, 12:11:52 AMWell, isn't Devin a paladin or some such, too?  ``I took a vow to protect all beings, regardless of how I feel about them personally''?  Couldn't he know or sense it in Abel?

No, but it would explain why he hates Glory--especially if he were ejected from the ranks of paladin, but still forced to follow his vow.

You know, I just noticed something else.  Abel's braid seems to be covering his clan marking.  If that's possible, wouldn't it be a trivial matter for all `cubi to simply shapeshift a flap over the area of the body where the marking is, thus making the marking effectively disappear?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Roureem Egas

Quote from: superluser on December 02, 2006, 12:29:24 AM
Quote from: Roureem Egas on December 02, 2006, 12:22:50 AM
Quote from: superluser on December 02, 2006, 12:11:52 AMWell, isn't Devin a paladin or some such, too?  ``I took a vow to protect all beings, regardless of how I feel about them personally''?  Couldn't he know or sense it in Abel?

No, but it would explain why he hates Glory--especially if he were ejected from the ranks of paladin, but still forced to follow his vow.

You know, I just noticed something else.  Abel's braid seems to be covering his clan marking.  If that's possible, wouldn't it be a trivial matter for all `cubi to simply shapeshift a flap over the area of the body where the marking is, thus making the marking effectively disappear?

Quote tunnel! :U

Well anyway, paladins are held to a high standard of conduct and it's very difficult to get to that sort of position. Especially if we were to touch upon D&D for this, as there are restrictions on paladins. Devin could just as likely not choose to be a paladin because he humbles himself for no one.

RJ

I was half-expecting Abel's headwings to suddenly pop out...  :giggle

Zedd

Quote from: RJ on December 02, 2006, 01:04:39 AM
I was half-expecting Abel's headwings to suddenly pop out...  :giggle

When were you expering mine to appear?

Psaakyrn

Just for a note: I think she's thinking that Devin's an Angel. (and coincidentl coincidently she's looking for Night Angels, so...)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Stygian

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 02, 2006, 12:14:15 AM
Glory knows more than she's telling. That backless shirt, after all, exposes his clan symbol nicely. A quick glimpse and experienced eye might be all it takes to peg a Cubi youngster.

And would she know? These people seem to be a bit on the uninformed and not so mindful side...

Mock AV

Zaon

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 02, 2006, 01:22:41 AM
Just for a note: I think she's thinking that Devin's an Angel. (and coincidentl coincidently she's looking for Night Angels, so...)
:wtf :youfail
it is stated that the night angels are vampires
besides why would she think devin is an angel when he doesn't even have wings
she probley thinks abel is a demon of some sort cause of his bat like wings.

Manawolf

By the sounds of it, Night Angels are different from Vampires (More likely stronger, or perhaps don't have as many weaknesses, perhaps merely vulnerability in sunlight instead of complete annihilation).

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Stygian on December 02, 2006, 01:25:43 AM
And would she know? These people seem to be a bit on the uninformed and not so mindful side...

Oh? From what I hear, paladin's can be quite racist. Just a thought...but perhaps she might be familiar with the markings of dangerous creatures, or other undesirables? Certainly possible. One never knows...

Zaon

Quote from: Manawolf on December 02, 2006, 02:02:20 AM
By the sounds of it, Night Angels are different from Vampires (More likely stronger, or perhaps don't have as many weaknesses, perhaps merely vulnerability in sunlight instead of complete annihilation).
um...If 'night angels' and vampires are the same then I doubt the weaknesses would be different
the night angels could be straounger but they would still have the weaknesses since accourding to Glory it wasn't that big of a deal

Stygian

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 02, 2006, 03:15:14 AM
Quote from: Stygian on December 02, 2006, 01:25:43 AM

Oh? From what I hear, paladin's can be quite racist. Just a thought...but perhaps she might be familiar with the markings of dangerous creatures, or other undesirables? Certainly possible. One never knows...

Well, I have as of yet to encounter a truly intelligent paladin. And them being racists only supports this.

e_voyager

i have to agree she did walk blindly into that one but then Devon is trying to tick her off and as we know he's known able for a while
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: Meech on December 02, 2006, 12:18:36 AM
Abel is a magic user at this point.  I am curious to know how powerful he is.  Can he hold his own against a Paladin?  I?m not sure if Devon knows that Abel can use magic.

He's a librarian not a fighter.  He almost certainly knows a handful of useful defensive spells, fireball and suchlike but I doubt he could hold his own against five others if he suddenly has an attack of the headwings.  Which is unlikely by the way, since he hasn't shown any signs of headaches like Dan did.  The funeral might have given him the emotional influx he needs to send him on his way, but I still don't think he's ready yet.

QuoteFar Reaching Speculation: The real monster will show up and there will be one heck of a fight.  Abel's magic will save the day.  All will live and become good friends.  In the end, Abel's head wings will pop out and ruin everything.  Abel is sad because his new friends now hate him.
I still say Xander is a 'cubi himself.  His comment about the tattoos is interesting, but that could just be him testing Abel to see what he knows.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Weren't Dan's headaches because of too much emotion, not headwings? I got confused at that point...

Gornemant

Weleho Rogan

I actually think that Devin referring to Glory as an uppity paladin might be because Glory isn't fond of Devin's smart-assness? I mean, YOU people were not fond of it when it was targeted at Abel.  Glory's cold attitude towards Devin might be jsut the fact, that Devin does seem to piss people off. Not me though, I think Devin's a cool guy.

Also, it is yet to be proven that Paladins are any more racist than any other adventurer is  :mowwink

DigitalMan

If night angels and vampires were the same thing, I think Glory would've known that and not gone to begin with. Apparently, frightened villagers in the dark can't tell them apart, which is reasonable.

I'm not so sure Devin said what he did in Abel's defense; I think he was more just being an asshole to Glory. Which is still awesome.

Sid

Ahhh, Devin's so good at being mean xD
Edit: And Glory's expression in the last panel is priceless :D

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 02, 2006, 04:48:39 AM
Weren't Dan's headaches because of too much emotion, not headwings? I got confused at that point...

Going by memory alone since I don't have the time to double-check things right now:
I believe Dan has two headache-phases. One is during the arc where we learn he's an Incubus (he shows Merlitz a potion that's supposed to help against the headache), and the other one is at the beginning of the SAIA arc, where his headaches are much worse. First one is where he gets his headwings (and the title says that the wings were the reason for the headache), second one is where he got emotional overload. Or at least that's the way things look like right now.
:boogie

Aridas

Oh, so he had TWO reasons for a headache. Ow. Thanks for the clearup though.

On topic: I'm wondering why Devin hasn't been killed yet with this kind of attitude towards armed parties.

Akisohida

This is probably the one time you will hear Dev say 'Gosh and golly!' people. Enjoy it whilst you can. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jack McSlay

I think night angels are nothing but EMO angels  >:3
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Aridas

Night angels: That's not fair :crying

I'm interested to find out exactly what a night angel is, actually... They're apparently similar to a vampire in some way if they can be mistaken so easily...

Faerie Alex

Maybe it was a group that had never seen a vampire, but had some myth about night-angels and thought that's what they were.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Sid

Quote from: modelincard on December 02, 2006, 09:17:41 AM
Maybe it was a group that had never seen a vampire, but had some myth about night-angels and thought that's what they were.

See? This is what wild speculation leads to! Inconvenienced and grumpy adventurers! Let this be a lesson to all you(/us) speculating forumites! :P
:boogie

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 02, 2006, 04:19:13 AMI still say Xander is a 'cubi himself.  His comment about the tattoos is interesting, but that could just be him testing Abel to see what he knows.

Now do you mean that Xander is one of the `cubi, or that one has impersonated Xander?  Both are interesting.

His comments do make it sound like a ham-handed way of telegraphing his findings to Devin...

Just wait until it's revealed that Xander has no sister.  (after all, why would he not know what his sister looks like?)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Shakal

"This may sound odd... But are you aware of the condition of your third party member?"

Abel's 'condition'? He's pregnant?