Need some help trying to remember some old cartoon

Started by Aridas, October 13, 2006, 12:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

I'm not 100% sure of my memories, since it was pretty vague and I must've watched only one episode in my childhood before not ever seeing that channel at the same time again, but I know this for sure: It had something to do with a monkey. The monkey might've had a staff too, but that's probably just mixing with my memories of Dragon Ball. I also think this monkey went around with a few other people or something too... But as I said, I really don't remember a thing. I just remember a general idea of what the thing looked like... There's also the possibility it might've been imported from another country other than the ones in north america. I'm sorry I can't think of any more details but it's faded more over the years as I keep neglecting to bring it up somewhere.

insanekaosx

About how many years ago was this?

It could be Saiyuki, almost-monkey-kid with staffthing Son Goku...

Roureem Egas

Sounds like a televised version of Journey to the West. Can't help much beyond that, sorry.

I remember watching another show like that, except it was an animated cartoon version that showed on Sunday NOONS. I remember this much because of that, and because I liked the flute (or some other wind instrument) music at the ending. I think the show was called "Monkey Magic." Wikipedia wasn't that helpful since I tried looking for it before, mainly 'cause I want that song so bad.

Manawolf

Monkey Magic, that could have been it.  Animation was DBZ-esque, would be around the same time as your childhood.

Roureem Egas

It probably is, then. Aridas isn't that much older than me, I remember a show like that, so it's probably the one.

Manawolf

They cut the show short, too.  Man I hate the sour note they left us on.  It's like Monster Rancher just when Mu gets back all his power.

BS, just BS.

Aridas

Quote from: Manawolf on October 13, 2006, 12:20:33 AM
Monkey Magic, that could have been it. Animation was DBZ-esque, would be around the same time as your childhood.
I tried looking for that once, but I couldn't find it. I tried again and boom, that's GOTTA be it. There really isn't anything else that comes to mind, and it seems like the right time of creation too. Thanks.

Manawolf

I managed to catch nearly episode that made it stateside.  A bit dumb, but not every cartoon is a winner.  The stuff that's graced 4Kids is evidence enough of that.

Zedd

Manawolf

Live Action?  The one I know used a mix of 2D and 3D animation.  Think they even made a video game based off it, though I hardly heard a peep about it aside from the commercials.

Aridas

Quote from: Zedd on October 13, 2006, 02:07:00 AM
Monkey magic was live action..Even Gigator...
You're thinking about "Monkey". The theme song was Monkey Magic though, so I miiiiight forgive you. After you *search search* suffer this: http://www.eviltrailmix.com/animutation/monkey.swf

Alondro

Quote from: Manawolf on October 13, 2006, 12:27:32 AM
They cut the show short, too.  Man I hate the sour note they left us on.  It's like Monster Rancher just when Mu gets back all his power.

BS, just BS.

Heh, they actually did finish the show.  I saw the ending.  Tiger, Suezo, Hare, Mocci, and Golem all die.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Manawolf

They still had it jumping around like crazy and I missed it...and you've just gone beyond bitchdom.

Gareeku

Quote from: Alondro on October 13, 2006, 09:27:57 AM
Quote from: Manawolf on October 13, 2006, 12:27:32 AM

BS, just BS.

Heh, they actually did finish the show.  I saw the ending.  Tiger, Suezo, Hare, Mocci, and Golem all die.   >:3

Tiger, Suezo, Hare, Moochi and Golem are in fact the Phoenix. They merge together to form it and fight Mu. Mu then comes to the realisation that neither he nor the phoenix will win the fight i.e it will be an eternal struggle. Therefore, he decides to kill himself and take the Phoenix with him. Genki, meanwhile, is transported back to his home dimension. Ending up in an alleyway, Genki then sees the monsters and Holly as a vision. Seeing this and hearing their words of comfort, he becomes happy again, and runs off home.

I'm pretty certain that's how it went. It's been a while since i last saw it though.

Manawolf

Well, it sounds better than Wolf's Rain's ending.

Tiger_T

Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

GabrielsThoughts

Cartoon Shows with monkeys in them that I can remember...

Mighty Max

Captian Simian and the space monkeys

Ape Force(?)

Caddilacs and Dinosaurs

Teen Titans

Super robot monkey team hyperforce go

Kong

Forgive me if i've missed any.

Edit: I almost forgot about "monkey" a short spinoff of Dexter's Labratory that only had about 4 episodes. and of course the dragon ball series.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aridas

you're a bit late, adding shows that don't fit the rest of the criteria, and i have to ask where you think there's a monkey in mighty max >.>

GabrielsThoughts

I'm sorry, I meant talking monkeys.. Mighty max has a whole tribe of talking gorrillas in one episode and I remembered it because it was the first episode I ever saw Max's mom.

EDIT: and in the final four episodes Max teams up with the monkey King Son Goku...the real one or something to fight the skull master type guy.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jim Halisstrad

Heh, this thread reminds me of Marsupilami....
Had to look up how to spell it XD

Aridas

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 18, 2006, 10:59:40 PM
I'm sorry, I meant talking monkeys.. Mighty max has a whole tribe of talking gorrillas in one episode and I remembered it because it was the first episode I ever saw Max's mom.

EDIT: and in the final four episodes Max teams up with the monkey King Son Goku...the real one or something to fight the skull master type guy.
I just remember the last episode or something being SPOILER Max going one-on-one against skullmaster, only to have time reverse and for him to start all over again. Not that he had a problem with that.