[Xer Chapter 16]

Started by Starcat5, June 09, 2024, 11:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starcat5

16-01 - "Theseus Complex" is a short story by Tresko

...inspired by the "Ship of Theseus" thought experiment.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Infranscia

Trying to find the short story, and only the 4th chapter is coming up for me. =/c

Come to think, I've heard of that thought experiment, though.  ...Through Yandere Simulator of all places. :U

So with that bit of info in mind, I think I get the idea, now. =)  I've seen it come up in some horror-esque and philosophical stories, even with human characters. XD

...Would still be nice to find the first three chapters of the story, though. =(
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Infranscia on June 17, 2024, 12:27:51 AMTrying to find the short story, and only the 4th chapter is coming up for me. =/c

The other chapters are tagged as mature, so you must be logged into FA to see them and have mature enabled in global settings.  In addition you may have to widen the FA search to 'all time' since it's now more than 5 years old.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Chairtastic

The Ship of Theseus is such a nice philosophical discussion because there's so many ways to take it.  I'm fond of the interpretation that the ship stops being the ship of Theseus when Theseus leaves it -- the object's identity is transient and allows it to change.  Being the ship of Theseus is just a job that can be started and finished.

If Jakob were to die, be resurrected in an android body, all while his original body is made into an undead vessel for another soul -- I would say that the corpse isn't his body anymore.  It's the undead's.  The title, the body of Jakob can only be claimed by the body he's currently occupying.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Chairtastic on June 17, 2024, 09:13:14 AMIf Jakob were to die, be resurrected in an android body, all while his original body is made into an undead vessel for another soul -- I would say that the corpse isn't his body anymore.  It's the undead's.  The title, the body of Jakob can only be claimed by the body he's currently occupying.

I would agree with that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E