2022-04-20 [DMFA #2074] - The Adventurer Files

Started by Tapewolf, April 20, 2022, 07:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Given that many Taun are adventurers, and that they have the ulterior motive of protecting the 'Cubi race, it's not that surprising that they might exfiltrate information to their clan for security reasons.  Though I am curious as to what method they're using.  Furrae has photocopiers, but I'm assuming they're doing something more discreet and magical here.

Where it could get interesting is whether Dan is a paid up guild member, an independent or what.  Because he could well be exceeding his clearance if he's an active guild member.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

Simplest way is that some guilds in the network are run by Taun cubi, either directly or through agents.  They work to steer adventurers to deserving targets, away from undeserving cubi and other victims and learn about their enemy at the same time.

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 20, 2022, 07:48:34 AM
Where it could get interesting is whether Dan is a paid up guild member, an independent or what.  Because he could well be exceeding his clearance if he's an active guild member.
He's also the appointed and recognized representative of Clan Cyra, so it's even more complex because he may be exceeding his clearance as a guild member, but similarly has a right to know where his father is, and has a duty as a representative to look out for the interests of his clan. For sure, there is a conflict of interest, but he doesn't have much choice but to navigate it as best he can by trying to find his father, look out for the interests of his clan, and try not to engage in actions that will unnecessarily harm guild members. That is literally all that he can do.

joshofspam

Quote from: PhycoKrusk on April 20, 2022, 02:11:34 PM
He's also the appointed and recognized representative of Clan Cyra, so it's even more complex because he may be exceeding his clearance as a guild member, but similarly has a right to know where his father is, and has a duty as a representative to look out for the interests of his clan. For sure, there is a conflict of interest, but he doesn't have much choice but to navigate it as best he can by trying to find his father, look out for the interests of his clan, and try not to engage in actions that will unnecessarily harm guild members. That is literally all that he can do.

It does bring up another question, when you think about the dragon smear campaign against the cubi and other creatures of the past.

How much are the dragons also interwoven with the Adventurer guilds? I'd imagine a lot of Adventurers were tricked or sent into the meat grinder to fight in their wars and shadow games to hunt the cubi's. I'd imagine that burned up a whole lot of bridges with the Adventurers guilds and the dragon elders.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

It occurs to me that most friends Dan make in SAIA will be Intergenerational Friendship (warning, TV tropes link), I meant Arry is over 400 years old. Not sure how much that will matter though, given the maturity level of your average cubi.

Has their been anything mentioned about the age range of students there?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Merlin

Though I am curious as to what method they're using.  Furrae has photocopiers, but I'm assuming they're doing something more discreet and magical here.

can cubi wings be used like a portable printing press. they're shapeshifters. inquiring minds demand an answer

Tuyu

Quote from: Merlin on April 20, 2022, 07:40:05 PM
Though I am curious as to what method they're using.  Furrae has photocopiers, but I'm assuming they're doing something more discreet and magical here.

can cubi wings be used like a portable printing press. they're shapeshifters. inquiring minds demand an answer
Cubi have wings of silly putty? :D

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: joshofspam on April 20, 2022, 04:31:42 PM
It does bring up another question, when you think about the dragon smear campaign against the cubi and other creatures of the past.

How much are the dragons also interwoven with the Adventurer guilds? I'd imagine a lot of Adventurers were tricked or sent into the meat grinder to fight in their wars and shadow games to hunt the cubi's. I'd imagine that burned up a whole lot of bridges with the Adventurers guilds and the dragon elders.
If there is one thing that we should have learned by now, it is that creatures are the ones who actually run the show of all societies, including being societies (with the possible exception of the Twink Territories, because it seems pretty clear that nobody runs the show there), and the presence of technology is the only reason why beings are not chattel.

Which similarly means that Jyrras is the literal lynchpin that holds up the entire system, so it's hardly any wonder that each of them will seek to get him in their good graces (and also why Biggs had the absolutely correct idea to go to him directly and say that, "No one ultimately is going to look out for us or anyone we love except for us, and moves are being made already, so we'd better figure something out fast.").

Rithm Alfortele

Quote from: joshofspam on April 20, 2022, 04:31:42 PM
Quote from: PhycoKrusk on April 20, 2022, 02:11:34 PM

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the current leader of the adventurer's guild directly and secretly works for the dragons, maybe even that *specific* dragon.

Though to be honest, I feel like dragon slayers are rare in this setting, precisely because dragons tend to be of a "disproportionate retribution" mindset.

Like, not all of them, obviously, but considering higher-ranked dragons take the deaths of even a lower-ranked dragon as a personal offense to them, I imagine a being killing even the lowest-ranked dragon would probably result in their entire city/town/village being burnt to the ground along with their own life being forfeit.  The higher the rank, it seems, the more direct and thorough the destruction is.

And as we've seen, should anyone other than a dragon kill a higher-ranked dragon, the price to pay is genocide.