10-2-06

Started by GabrielsThoughts, October 01, 2006, 11:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Garou

Quote from: Dakata on October 02, 2006, 05:44:30 PM
Shrug* Dan -does- look kinda pretty in the latest comic. Is he wearing make-up? :B
Didn't I already point this out?
Quote from: Alan Garou on October 02, 2006, 09:20:42 AM
I notice that Dan is already wearing mascara.
Also, I just had the insane idea that Matilda might show up and see through  :mowdan ielle's charade. Yet another entry on my Impending Doom list

List of Impending Doom
1)  Danielle plus Biggs equals attempted marriage #2
2) Mab getting angry when it hurts to hug the porcupine
3) Dan finding out Pyroduck is a dragon
4) Jyrras finding out Lorenda is responsible for the S. Wilder book getting published
5) Fa'lina showing up at the interview to "correct" Dan(ielle) for skipping class
6) Pyroduck crashing Biggs's wedding party
7) Matilda showing up and recognizing Dan(ielle)
8) Alexsi beating up Dan(ielle) for impersonating her

And the possibilities go on and on...

Yay! My first first post on page post!  :B Wait, now I'm confused

Aridas

Quote from: FireKatKid on October 02, 2006, 05:54:52 PM
It's a good thing we have Abel, the guy who has physically and mentally harmed Dan, as well as caused him much much strees, to guard Dan. We wouldn't want the slight annoyance known as Pyroduck to do anything. :bored
Of course not  D:

Quote from: Alan Garou on October 02, 2006, 06:24:23 PM
5) Fa'lina showing up at the interview to "correct" Dan(ielle) for skipping class
But isn't he homeschooled?  D:

e_voyager

Dan is trapped. even if he pulls this off flawlessly his sister will still hurt him for impersonating her as a matter of principle.  poor poor dan he can't win for losing. sight i know the feeling.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Caswin

Am I the only reader of El Goonish Shive?  I'm not saying he came up with it, but any such fan should be able to recognize that little exclamation...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

e_voyager

what is that? i have never heard of it before.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Alondro

*thinks the knife ABel's using is a Progressive Knife... yup, watching Evangelion again...*   :mowdizzy
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 02, 2006, 05:20:25 PM
What surprises me is Abel's choice of weapon.  Firstly that kind of attack will be very messy in just the sort of way that is known to freak Abel out, and secondly, he doesn't need the knife.
As Amber pointed out when Abel offered to break Merl's neck, in a full attack Abel would have just taken his head clean off with his tentacles.  He was bluffing then, does that mean that the knife is just for show here as well?

If, per Demo 101, dragon hide is impenetrable a tentacle attack wouldn't do much good. Perhaps he needed the tentacles to immobilize Pyro so he can get an eye shot with the knife.  If you can't cut any area with skin on it an eye shot would probably be the only chance he had.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Miaka

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on October 02, 2006, 10:16:07 AM
I seem to be the only one who recalls Miaka's art about half way down the first page...  I think that might explain where the 'Za?' came from, no?
hubuduhwha? I kinda doubt Amber would have used something I drew as anything in her comic. :sweatdrop

EGS was my other thought, and the fact that it is and can be a very common exclamation.

Zedd

Hmm but seriously everyone seems to get along

ChaoSynergy

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on October 02, 2006, 08:30:10 PM
If, per Demo 101, dragon hide is impenetrable a tentacle attack wouldn't do much good. Perhaps he needed the tentacles to immobilize Pyro so he can get an eye shot with the knife.  If you can't cut any area with skin on it an eye shot would probably be the only chance he had.

Yes, but does the Dragon Hide aspect carry over when said dragon is transmogriphied into a furre?  Besides, it's the scales of a dragon which give it it's resiliency to weapons - the hide itself is just flesh, and easily cut (as one may have seen from the Dragonheart movies or Bilbo Baggins vs. Smaug the Dragon).

'Sides, tentacles may not be able to penetrate dragon scales, but everything tears under sufficient stress.  Probably wouldn't be too hard for a Cubi to rip something to pieces.

Alan Garou

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 02, 2006, 06:55:31 PM
Quote from: FireKatKid on October 02, 2006, 05:54:52 PM
It's a good thing we have Abel, the guy who has physically and mentally harmed Dan, as well as caused him much much strees, to guard Dan. We wouldn't want the slight annoyance known as Pyroduck to do anything. :bored
Of course not  D:

Quote from: Alan Garou on October 02, 2006, 06:24:23 PM
But isn't he homeschooled?  D:
Well, yes, but why would the Great Fa'Lina bother with being consistent or rational? It's below her. Besides, she told him to come back or she'd rip his (her?) spine out.

Quote from: Caswin on October 02, 2006, 07:44:56 PM
Am I the only reader of El Goonish Shive?  I'm not saying he came up with it, but any such fan should be able to recognize that little exclamation...
Actually, I am an avid reader, and I did not recognize that exclamation.

Quote from: e_voyager on October 02, 2006, 06:59:27 PM
Dan is trapped. even if he pulls this off flawlessly his sister will still hurt him for impersonating her as a matter of principle.  poor poor dan he can't win for losing. sight i know the feeling.
Ah, yes. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll now add it to the List of Impending Doom

Aridas

Quote from: Alan Garou on October 02, 2006, 09:16:23 PM
Well, yes, but why would the Great Fa'Lina bother with being consistent or rational? It's below her. Besides, she told him to come back or she'd rip his (her?) spine out.

...'cause you're the only one saying she wouldn't?

Alan Garou

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 02, 2006, 09:23:21 PM

Please, let's not start a pointless argument. This forum has seen more than enough. Also, it cite these examples of her irrationality:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_590.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_491.php
I rest my case.

e_voyager

while this is true  http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_599.php i don't think that Dan's grace period has expired quite yet.

Aridas

Quote from: Alan Garou on October 02, 2006, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 02, 2006, 09:23:21 PM

Please, let's not start a pointless argument. This forum has seen more than enough. Also, it cite these examples of her irrationality:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_590.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_491.php
I rest my case.
That one goes in the opposite direction you're taking it.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Caswin on October 02, 2006, 07:44:56 PM
Am I the only reader of El Goonish Shive?  I'm not saying he came up with it, but any such fan should be able to recognize that little exclamation...

I'll admit I used to read it like a million years ago, long  before it got stupid... or maybe I just got smarter.

Anyway, I think I've seen Amber sporting an EGS style avatar a while back durring the first apperence of the banana phone incident, I just assumed Amber was friends with the author of EGS.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on October 02, 2006, 09:12:44 PM

Yes, but does the Dragon Hide aspect carry over when said dragon is transmogriphied into a furre?  Besides, it's the scales of a dragon which give it it's resiliency to weapons - the hide itself is just flesh, and easily cut (as one may have seen from the Dragonheart movies or Bilbo Baggins vs. Smaug the Dragon).
I've seen this discussed, but don't recall seeing it secified by Amber... What is the apparent species of Pyro's non-dragon form?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Aridas

e_voyager

is spices really all that important? is there not enough divisions in our world or in this case theirs?

Aridas

spices aren't important! a steak is just as good without them!

Manawolf

If something wasn't good enough to be eaten without spices, I see little point of eating it in the first place (unless the seasonings are the all encompassing ketchup, salt and butter).

Zedd

e_voyager

lol i was too tied when i uses the spell checker. species is what i ment

Magic

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 02, 2006, 05:20:25 PM
What surprises me is Abel's choice of weapon.  Firstly that kind of attack will be very messy in just the sort of way that is known to freak Abel out, and secondly, he doesn't need the knife.
As Amber pointed out when Abel offered to break Merl's neck, in a full attack Abel would have just taken his head clean off with his tentacles.  He was bluffing then, does that mean that the knife is just for show here as well?

If, per Demo 101, dragon hide is impenetrable a tentacle attack wouldn't do much good. Perhaps he needed the tentacles to immobilize Pyro so he can get an eye shot with the knife.  If you can't cut any area with skin on it an eye shot would probably be the only chance he had.

Eyeshot with the tentacles is possible, too. You're asking/answering the wrong question-- it's whether or not it's worth it (or if Abel is even capable of-- read on) to concentrate long enough to strike with your tentacles and leave yourself vulnerable in the meantime.

The pseudolimbs are an extension of brainwave patterns (subconscious http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_385.php, remember?); concentration, willpower are the key factors. At some point, I did a brief explanation on the subject of controlling the subconscious, reflexes (Pavlovian conditioning), for a roleplay post in the SAIA RP. I don't believe the post containing the information is still there, with what the forum move.

Mostly dealt with the description of how the perfect process of controlling the tentacles should be, as much as I can recall. The Doctor Ink was teaching Metamorphosis class.

Anyway, at this point, Abel can't concentrate on anything but killing the dragon. (Going back to my original statement.) This is still an extensively mental, and not a physical, task. (It borders on reflex, but not quite. That's still only training the conscious mind. Training the subconscious is a more complicated process as it is an intelligence within an intelligence.) He doesn't work well under pressure, if you've noticed.

But I realize that all that is overanalyzing the whole thing.

Simply and finally, to the original query, it might be that he wants to do -something- about the dragon now, and regret about his fear later. (After all, he has a few moments before Pyroduck has recovered enough from the blow to change back into a dragon.) He even attempted to use a wooden crate earlier, what's stopping him from taking out (again) at least one of the blades he had out earlier and using that?

Addendum:
The original query is also misdirected-- if he shouldn't want to use a dagger, why did he take out his swords earlier?

The whole thing about most of the comic discussion that amuses me is although we keep asking why, the inevitable answer is "Why not?"
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Zedd

Doctor...You...Deservie a giant pizza pie for that...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ink on October 03, 2006, 04:27:12 AM
Anyway, at this point, Abel can't concentrate on anything but killing the dragon. (Going back to my original statement.) This is still an extensively mental, and not a physical, task. (It borders on reflex, but not quite. That's still only training the conscious mind. Training the subconscious is a more complicated process as it is an intelligence within an intelligence.) He doesn't work well under pressure, if you've noticed.

So what you're saying is that Abel is only able to do traditional 'cubi combat in controlled conditions,  e.g. training and will fall apart in a real situation?

Quote from: Ink on October 03, 2006, 04:27:12 AM
The original query is also misdirected-- if he shouldn't want to use a dagger, why did he take out his swords earlier?

Because it might have been a bluff?

QuoteThe whole thing about most of the comic discussion that amuses me is although we keep asking why, the inevitable answer is "Why not?"[/i]

Because asking questions is the only way to learn  >:3

If, per Demo 101, dragon hide is impenetrable a tentacle attack wouldn't do much good.

Depends how impenetrable.  A properly-trained 'cubi can cut through rocks.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aldoun

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2006, 04:56:34 AM
A properly-trained 'cubi can cut through rocks.

And there's some pretty though rocks out there, jade in particular. If you use a steel sledgehammer on a jade rock it'll bounce as if made of rubber.

ShiningShadow

But as I see it right now the tranformation training will begin. See dan in various disguises and coming out wrong in all of them. Till finally he is Alexsi then you know what he get stuck that way. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO if Amber has a say about that possibility. But all in all Abel gotta to calm down on this situation with Pyro and they should talk it out whatever it is that making Abel all angry and trying to put the smackdown on Pyro................

ChaoSynergy

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 03, 2006, 12:38:01 AM
I've seen this discussed, but don't recall seeing it secified by Amber... What is the apparent species of Pyro's non-dragon form?

From the looks of it, seems to be a bear.

Alondro

*Charles struggles along, wriggling in a straitjacket*  It's a Progressive Knife, I tell you!  Abel is a clone of Adam... Adam is Dan!  That's why he wants to protect him!  Dragons are spawned from Lilith!  *squirms*  He's trying to prevent Third Impact from destroying Furrae!  Do you see?  DO YOU SEE!!?!?!   Jyrras is Gendo Ikari!  He's trying to betray the Creature Council... which is SEELE!!  It all makes sense!  Hee hee hee... hAH HA HA HA!!!  *is clonked with a club*

*Charline tosses aside broken club*  Ok, back to the loony bin with you.  *sighs*  This is what happens when you watch the entire series and End of Evangelion in one night.   :rolleyes 

Ah yes, Ink.  Inducing a self-awareness within the subconscious is tricky, but once you get hold of it, it does become quite easy to control.  The true potential is unlocked when one accomplishes a complete merger between the two and all the pathways function in unity. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif