2020-05-29 [DMFA #1991] Reassurance failure

Started by MT Hazard, May 29, 2020, 11:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Well, your knowledge of cubi could be better, but you were doing well with your bedside manner until that last part.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

I'm slightly surprised this hasn't happened before, given the damage Cyra's had done to her and the fact that Destania has been through this in the past.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tuyu

I have a concern--that her 'we' does not include Cyra or the other guests.

InhumanInterest

Can confirm from personal experience that living in environments like that completely inures you to how horrible and catastrophic some events can be.

Naldru

Never ask an engineer what's the worst that can happen.  You won't sleep for a week. 

Also, the vast number of things that can happen in a submarine tend to result in submariners having a rather strange sense of humor.  There was an example with the research submarine Trieste.  There was a US Navy submarine officer and a civilian researcher as the crew during a dive.  As they were descending past a hundred feet or so, there was a huge crunching noise.  Looking at the expression on the civilian's face, the officer said "Don't worry, it's nothing.  And if it was something, we'd be dead and there's nothing that we could do about it.  So stop worrying."  I once worked with a veteran who had been aboard submarines and I repeated the story.  His response was that it sounded like the kind of joke you would hear aboard a submarine.

By the way, it was probably a half empty can of something that had  been used in maintenance.  I don't know if you've ever had the demonstration in high school physics where a tin can is filled with steam, had the cap screwed tight, and then allowed to cool.  It provides a very satisfying crunch, and that's with just one atmosphere.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

InhumanInterest

Funny enough that was actually what my personal experience was, submarine service.

And that is very much our sense of humor. Training on submarine rescue procedures is basically one long session of joking about how all this rescue talk is lovely but if the sub floods then we're dead. Only with much more profanity.

Naldru

Of course, even if you are sure that you are going to do, you keep working to resolve the situation and never give up.  https://natureworks.com.au/product/never-ever-give-up-figurine-stork-eating-frog/
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.