2020-03-23 [DMFA #1978] Conflicting information

Started by MT Hazard, March 23, 2020, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Poor Dan, wanting to keep the happy memories of his mother, but increasing realising she is/was a terrible person.

[Fixed date - TW]
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

InhumanInterest

At least he didn't go to the "hot for teacher" memory/thought

YawnPB

Was she actually good?  Was she pretending to be good? Was she pretending and then actually was good till something triggered a relapse into evil?

These answers and more next time, same mow time, same mow channel :batman
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Dard

I think the answer became clear by the way she mentioned to Biggs that Alexsi is compromised by her relationship to a dragon.

e_voyager

My question is did she change only to relapse when her husband Daniel father was kidnapped? Also maybe he can show his grandma his sister and father.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

AzureEdge

Maybe she went off the deep end again when she realized she doesn't have long to live. I mean look at her hair, that is THE Anime Mom Hairstyle. No one survives that.

LordViking

To give some credit to Dan's memories, it did seem that Destania had changed, actually changed or convinced herself that she had, enough that a true phoenix oracle proclaimed her previous life to be over.

My guess is that either she relapsed into her old habits and mindset when Edward was kidnapped, or went over the edge completely in her revenge plot on anyone and anything that may have wronged her. It'll be interesting to see if she can still pull out of this or if she and Dan end up on opposite sides.

berkinix

Just wanted to take the time to appreciate this unshaded version of the comic. I'm absolutely digging it. Really helps Amber's line-work shine through! I really like how she depicts distance and depth with that alone.

Radagast

Quote from: LordViking on March 25, 2020, 09:25:42 AM
To give some credit to Dan's memories, it did seem that Destania had changed, actually changed or convinced herself that she had, enough that a true phoenix oracle proclaimed her previous life to be over.

I'm not sure that "changed" is the proper word.  People put on different faces based on circumstances.  To borrow from other works for a moment, Kingpin might be an unrepentant mobster and one of Daredevil and Spiderman's greatest foes, but he also adores his wife and son and wouldn't spare a second thought about moving heaven and earth for them. 

The Destania we see in Dan's flashbacks is not terribly different from the one we saw from those when she and Aniz were together (perhaps unsurprisingly, considering that Ed and Aniz bear some similarity), so it's not improbable that that's her 'happy family' face.  Moreover, Biggs dropped a line a while back suggesting that her recent actions are attributable to the dragons kidnapping Edward to get to her.  And considering their role in Aniz breaking up with her, that throws a few levels of insult to the injury.  And you only need to ask Abel how well she takes even perceived insults...

Point being, Destania didn't necessarily change, but that doesn't mean that the Destania Dan remembered was a lie.  It's very possible that Destania showed Dan and Edward a side of herself that most others didn't even know about. 
Hand me my snorkel!  I'm diving back into the archives!

FairWage22

Someone made the Kingpin analogy:

The *best* part I remember about Wilson Fisk is that while he views himself as the King of his people, he will do nearly anything for them if it's within his power to do so.

He'll also reward betrayal and disobedience with the same vigor.

But he typically does/did (depending on the reality) it intelligently. 

It was part of the reason that he could be a sympathetic character even if he did horrific things -- or had people do horrific things for him.

He was also a man of some morals, which completely flummoxed several heroes who confronted him when he walked them through *why* he was doing something.

Contrast this with the emotional status of even an above-average 'cubi, who have to fight to maintain control of their emotions at times.
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.