2019-10-18 [DMFA #1949] Yours vs Ours

Started by Tapewolf, October 18, 2019, 04:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I always worried that it was a little trite doing that, where the immature 'Cubi is still thinking of themselves as a Being.  Now Dan has done that too, I am happy.

I am a little unsure about whether Aary is saying that Beings are better at filmmaking, or prejudiced against Creatures whatever they try to do.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

InhumanInterest

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2019, 04:43:43 AM
I am a little unsure about whether Aary is saying that Beings are better at filmmaking, or prejudiced against Creatures whatever they try to do.

I think more the prejudice angle. She's saying that if a creature makes a film for the public it will inevitably be sandwiched between propaganda about how creatures are dangerous.

Though for me the most important part is that the 'introducing your S.O. to your family' is going off without a hitch so far. (hands are jungle gyms  :mowhappy )

Prroul

Cyra is thinking long term. Petty squabbles about points of view? Probably healthy for Dan to start thinking about, but what is REALLY important is making sure the SO has a favorable first impression because... BABIES!!!

I seem to recall somewhere that a kid being 'cubi or not from a mixed pairing will depend on the power level of the 'cubi to the 'other', and I'm assuming that Blue volcano Mythos are pretty high on the power scale. So Cyra is probably also, while making a good first impression on the future daughter of pretty much her whole clan besides Des and Dan, getting a feel for her power level to make sure Dan's got enough oomph to ensure that it turns out 'cubi.

And also, somewhere under all the machinations and plotting, rediscovering the wonder of simple enjoyment of another sentient being's company. I mean, it's been HOW long since her only company has been Des?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2019, 04:43:43 AM
I always worried that it was a little trite doing that, where the immature 'Cubi is still thinking of themselves as a Being.  Now Dan has done that too, I am happy.

Dan is 25 years old. Even if he didn't have negative feeling towards creatures because of his profession and culture, he's thought of himself as a being for a decade and a half, it going to be a while before his self image includes the label 'creature'.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 18, 2019, 10:23:47 AM
Dan is 25 years old. Even if he didn't have negative feeling towards creatures because of his profession and culture, he's thought of himself as a being for a decade and a half, it going to be a while before his self image includes the label 'creature'.

Indeed, there's going to be a lot of inertia.  Also, Aary was brought up as a 'Cubi, and Dan was left to fend for himself.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2019, 11:08:14 AM
Also, Aary was brought up as a 'Cubi, and Dan was left to fend for himself.

Yep. When Dan does get a chance to talk to his mother there is one question he could ask to wrong foot her
"Do you even love me and dad at all?"

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Hoodoo

I am beginning to wonder if Arry has some sort of interest in Dan she's not admitting to. She's giving him a surprising amount of attention considering Cyra is right in front of her - a living triwing with huge importance to her clan she's probably wanted to meet quite badly for a very long time.

It'd be at least somewhat similar to how she reacted to her interest in Abel back in the side story.

Or it could simply be because she has no ability to resist racial political discussion.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hoodoo on October 18, 2019, 12:25:33 PM
I am beginning to wonder if Arry has some sort of interest in Dan she's not admitting to. She's giving him a surprising amount of attention considering Cyra is right in front of her - a living triwing with huge importance to her clan she's probably wanted to meet quite badly for a very long time.

'Cubi attention span isn't going to help there, I think.  Remember how Pyroduck derailed her completely by asking her how awesome 'Cubi are...

Wanderer

I'm confused by Arry's comment. It seems to me like beings would be the ones saying "creatures are dangerous and shouldn't be trusted."

ZacAttac21

Well, Matilda's certainly making a good first impression as a potential granddaughter-in-law. (She's so cute!) :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wanderer on October 18, 2019, 05:38:55 PM
I'm confused by Arry's comment. It seems to me like beings would be the ones saying "creatures are dangerous and shouldn't be trusted."

It reads a lot like she's saying Creatures are so violent that they can't even make a nature documentary without committing an atrocity, but that's a really weird thing for her to say.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 18, 2019, 06:28:47 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on October 18, 2019, 05:38:55 PM

It reads a lot like she's saying Creatures are so violent that they can't even make a nature documentary without committing an atrocity, but that's a really weird thing for her to say.

I'm fairly certain she's saying that if a cubi made something from their historical point of view for public viewing where cubi don't predominantly live then it would inevitably be surrounded by more things that say that they're dangerous due to cubi prejudice and that it's not that way for beings. However, Aary seems to have a misunderstanding about beings because she doesn't seem to know that beings hate each other just as much as they hate everyone else so they likely get that kind of treatment from their own depending on where they live anyway. Cubi aren't the only ones who can be discriminated against Aary :P
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Merlin

is this the Matilda appreciation thread?
if not, get in line people

Tuyu

Relative to Cyra, Mattie is just about the size of those little yellow lizards from her story.

YawnPB

A large portion of the creature races seem to establish their "strength" by who/what they destroy.  It's even a bit of a "defence" in that keeping others scared prevents them from going after yours.  It's an old pattern we even see in animals, be scary or least appear to be more trouble to mess with than it's worth.  The value of life is very low, and empathy is  punished/scorned as "weakness". 

In some cases individuals are starting to question this perhaps even DP in trying to teach Regina differently than how he was taught.  We saw that Kria has misgivings about this path as well but ultimately followed it because this is how it is done.  Matilda has made a definite break from her peoples ways, maybe more could be civilized but leaving their old ways behind is going to be difficult task. 

On the topic of Matilda she's probably the closest she's had to a kid using their parent as a jungle gym in ages.  It would be nice to see if she did eventually marry Dan and have kids.  Though if it happens a dirge may need to be composed for Amber's wrist and hand. 

Hopefully this time I won't need to edit this for spelling and grammar <.<
Lurkus Wallflowerus

YBlu

Quote from: Jonah21 on October 18, 2019, 06:00:53 PM
Well, Matilda's certainly making a good first impression as a potential granddaughter-in-law. (She's so cute!) :3

I know right? I'm so glad Dan took her with him. - She gives the whole situation a very fun dynamic.

Jasae Bushae

I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/