2019/10/02 [Key 25] - Elsewhere

Started by Tapewolf, October 02, 2019, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, that's interesting.  Either that took a long time, or Key is now in a different time-zone.  (Or possibly even a different world.)
Where it gets really confusing is the Key-like figure seen in the previous page, who is in the same apparent time-of-day as Key was before looking into the amulet.  Though this might simply indicate a time-jump of some kind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Does... does LaRaGa even have time zones...?
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on October 02, 2019, 10:15:32 AM
Does... does LaRaGa even have time zones...?

Well, according to setting page, the stars work differently, but otherwise it's a planetary system with a sun and moon.  The planet is drawn as a sphere on that page, and the sun rises and sets.
On p.78 of Way Back Home, we get to see a world map showing multiple continents, so unless it's like Ultima 9 where the world could fit inside a large playing field, you'll have the sun rising and setting at different absolute times.
Now they may or may not have designated different time zones in the geopolitical sense, since they do definitely have teleportation and possibly instantanious communcations, but that's not the point.  What I'm getting at is that Key may have woken up somewhere with 6 hours time difference.

Puyon

The whole sun and moon thing gets weird when we remember Colfer set up a territory of eternal night that always has a moon over it regardless of the time everywhere else and that Dark and Light powers control how long the moon or sun hangs over a given place.

I get what you're getting at but now this has returned me to the confused state of "it can be night in two opposite places of the globe and the moon will be seen in both of them" and also both the sun and moon can rise and set. Sorry to get off topic here. LaRaGa is just weird as hell.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on October 02, 2019, 02:21:26 PM
The whole sun and moon thing gets weird when we remember Colfer set up a territory of eternal night that always has a moon over it regardless of the time everywhere else and that Dark and Light powers control how long the moon or sun hangs over a given place.

I get what you're getting at but now this has returned me to the confused state of "it can be night in two opposite places of the globe and the moon will be seen in both of them" and also both the sun and moon can rise and set. Sorry to get off topic here. LaRaGa is just weird as hell.

That is a good point, but most of those you can do simply by photon manipulation.  In Colfer's case, you'd need to redirect the light that should be falling on her realm, and take it instead from an area where the sun isn't.  You could move the apparent position of the sun and moon with something akin to gravitational lensing.