2019-09-06 [DMFA#1940] The Birds and the Arthropods

Started by Rafe, September 06, 2019, 01:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

I have to say, I've been into SciFi/Fantasy for a long time, and with all the symbiotic creatures out there, I never remember it being a sexual relationship between the symbiant and their host. Hard to believe no one has thought of it before. Maybe this is a first for Amber.

I'm wondering whether Callig might have been the source for the groan Dan heard (or perhaps sensed telepathically). It's not quite clear how he's communicating.
Rafe

HaDDea

Amber has created the most adorable Lophiiformes ever.

techmaster-glitch

...Okay, upon acquisition of this knowledge, I had to immediately go back and find every page I can remember where these mythos appeared.

First appearance I can recall is back when Mab went to the moon looking for cakes. If I recall correctly in the discussion of that comic at the time, those things -were- noticed, but some speculated them as being actually part of the mythos' spacesuit backpack/lifesupport.

Only other appearances I am aware of are - all - the - recent comics with Dan & co visiting Cyra, and of them their backs are only barely visible in the second and fourth strips.

Interestingly, we never saw those 'tails' before (in the ones I've linked) or we might have guessed. Sneaky Ambaaargh, sneaky. |P

If anyone remembers any other appearances I have forgotten, please link!

EDIT: Also, I do wanna know more about these mythos now, including the details of their lifecycle! xD

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 06, 2019, 02:14:27 PM
First appearance I can recall is back when Mab went to the moon looking for cakes. If I recall correctly in the discussion of that comic at the time, those things -were- noticed, but some speculated them as being actually part of the mythos' spacesuit backpack/lifesupport.

I'm pretty sure Mab said then that they were the males.  But it's nice to see that confirmed in canon, because things like that are subject to change until they appear in-comic.

QuoteEDIT: Also, I do wanna know more about these mythos now, including the details of their lifecycle! xD
When the 430-year-old empath says "Nooo!" you know it's going to be bad...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhyNot?

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 28, 2012, 03:09:31 AM

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 27, 2012, 11:33:42 AM
Hmm, I am curious what those backpacks are for... Jetpacks maybe?

It's the males of their species.  c:

And here I thought that would be an esoteric fact that only I would remember, nice to see it's still a thing now they're more than a one off.

Cassi-kun

I'm reminded of the Trill from Star Trek, symbiotically attached to each other... Though the Trill and their symbiotes are separate species.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Cassi-kun on September 06, 2019, 06:15:04 PM
I'm reminded of the Trill from Star Trek, symbiotically attached to each other... Though the Trill and their symbiotes are separate species.

That and I'm pretty sure the Trill symbiotes didn't mate with their hosts.

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: Rafe on September 06, 2019, 01:03:55 PM
I have to say, I've been into SciFi/Fantasy for a long time, and with all the symbiotic creatures out there, I never remember it being a sexual relationship between the symbiant and their host. Hard to believe no one has thought of it before. Maybe this is a first for Amber.

I'm wondering whether Callig might have been the source for the groan Dan heard (or perhaps sensed telepathically). It's not quite clear how he's communicating.

Angler fish made cute... Definitely keeps the ferret theme of cute until angry.

Aurum Lupus

This reminds me of the symbiotes from Stargate SG-1, especially the symbiote relationship in that resistance movement of the Goa'uld.
Sincerely Aurum Lupus

Merlin

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on September 06, 2019, 07:15:05 PM

Dax reeeeaaaaally wanted to bone Jadzia, if that counts

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Aurum Lupus on September 06, 2019, 09:06:24 PM
This reminds me of the symbiotes from Stargate SG-1, especially the symbiote relationship in that resistance movement of the Goa'uld.

The Tok'ra?

Rafe

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 06, 2019, 02:14:27 PM
...Interestingly, we never saw those 'tails' before (in the ones I've linked) or we might have guessed. Sneaky Ambaaargh, sneaky. |P

If there's any images of these mythos without "tails", one could always assume that they hadn't been paired with a symbiant yet.

And I guarantee that this symbiant/host relationship has been there from the beginning. This is Amber we're talking about. I've never seen anyone who figures out all the ideas and tiny details from the minute she creates something the way she does.
Rafe

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Merlin on September 06, 2019, 11:54:58 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on September 06, 2019, 07:15:05 PM

Dax reeeeaaaaally wanted to bone Jadzia, if that counts
Curzon, yes
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

MT Hazard

That groan of frustration was all the readers who didn't want a scene change before we found out who the mystery creepy person was.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic)