2019-07-19 [DMFA #1931] The future begins with you!

Started by Tapewolf, July 19, 2019, 04:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, that's simultaneously sad and heartwarming.  Sad that she's written off Dee and also sad that she was planning to off herself (Not sure the mythos would have been too happy about that either), but also nice that Dan has reinvigorated her and given her new purpose.
Assuming he survives Destania's plans and Hizell's attentions, of course.

And yeah, maybe Dan should say that they're having a private chat... I'm slightly surprised Aary hasn't picked up on that.

EDIT: The implication that Destania is being propped up solely by Cyra is interesting.  I'd kind of assumed that she'd just start to age again, but it sounds more like she'd snap into... well, dust, like a piece of elastic that's been stretched and let go.  Presumably that also means that if Hizell did kill her, he wouldn't get a trophy because she'd just disintegrate.
(Also something to keep in mind for Project Future if Daryil attempts to extend the life of his favourites)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Reminds me of Adam Monroe that guy with regeneration powers from Heros, when he had his powers stolen you'd expect him to just stop healing quickly and start ageing again, nope, pile of dust time.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alondro

Turning into a pile of dust instantly implies that it's NOT merely eternal youth, it's some sort of temporal displacement... your matter is somehow set outside of spacetime, while still able to interact with it... and for some reason all the entropy accumulates, violating all sorts of physics rules... which isn't really that great as a power since preventing your cells from aging and hyper-activating regeneration is MUCH easier! 

Heck, we're getting close to being able to do it now that we know most of what contributes to aging and stem cell depletion. 

Side effect:  likely gonna get cancer a lot until we nail down how to keep the apoptotic pathway functional for making cells oncogenic mutations self-destruct, which is what happens with most proto-cancer cells.  Cancer means a cell escaped programmed cell death and also got a pro-cell-division mutation.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ProfesseurRenard

That is an interesting detail. Off-topic, I see Matilda's eye is doing its own thing again.

Tuyu

I always thought the way it worked for Matilda is that her lower eyes work together normally for binocular vision and her third eye is independent, so she often looks in the opposite direction with it.

I assume Aary knows what's going on, even if the conversation is kept private from her; so why the shrug?  Maybe the effects of awkward silences are tasty.

MT Hazard

I'm impressed with the detail Amber has put into Cyra facial expressions, even without visible pupils her feelings are conveyed very well, particularly her sad smile.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rafe

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 19, 2019, 05:24:42 AM
Reminds me of Adam Monroe that guy with regeneration powers from Heros, when he had his powers stolen you'd expect him to just stop healing quickly and start ageing again, nope, pile of dust time.

The "pile of dust" thing, but more than that, Cyra's attitude towards her past makes me think more of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. In Wilde's novel, Gray starts out as an innocent youth, but gradually becomes a violent and destructive man. His outward appearance is attractive and charming, and he seems never to age. It turns out that he possesses a picture of himself that started out as a flattering likeness, but has been turning older and uglier with every evil thing he does.

In the end, perhaps like Cyra, he finally realizes the awful things he has done, and decides to end his existence. He stabs the picture with a knife and screams. When the room is opened, the picture is in it's original pristine condition, but the only thing left of Dorian Gray that can be identified are the rings he was wearing. 
Rafe

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Rafe on July 21, 2019, 07:14:31 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on July 19, 2019, 05:24:42 AM

The "pile of dust" thing, but more than that, Cyra's attitude towards her past makes me think more of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. In Wilde's novel, Gray starts out as an innocent youth, but gradually becomes a violent and destructive man. His outward appearance is attractive and charming, and he seems never to age. It turns out that he possesses a picture of himself that started out as a flattering likeness, but has been turning older and uglier with every evil thing he does.

In the end, perhaps like Cyra, he finally realizes the awful things he has done, and decides to end his existence. He stabs the picture with a knife and screams. When the room is opened, the picture is in it's original pristine condition, but the only thing left of Dorian Gray that can be identified are the rings he was wearing.

I'd been thinking of Dorian Grey as well, and I hadn't even read the book.

rwstyles

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2019, 04:44:54 AM

He has been seen in the future comic strip, after the "Destania incident".

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: rwstyles on July 26, 2019, 02:21:19 AM

Let's hope Amber doesn't plan on invalidating that.

Titanium Dragon

Quote from: rwstyles on July 26, 2019, 02:21:19 AM

What future comic strip was this?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on July 26, 2019, 05:30:19 AM
What future comic strip was this?

http://projectfuturecomic.com/strip.php?strip=130

...but I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in a fanfic series I wrote myself, as a guide to the future of DMFA...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E