2019/05/10 [Fall 66] Better luck next time

Started by Tapewolf, May 10, 2019, 08:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

While Altair does seem to have more than his fair share of power, he does seem to be running things smoothly, so maybe don't rock that boat.

Also, if 'reborn' is as in reincarnation as someone else, I'm kind of not seeing the incentive.  In fact, to me that gives a perverse incentive to not pay your dues so you keep existing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2019, 08:19:30 AM
Also, if 'reborn' is as in reincarnation as someone else, I'm kind of not seeing the incentive.  In fact, to me that gives a perverse incentive to not pay your dues so you keep existing.

Unless purgatory sucks enough that you want to stop existing...

Tapewolf

Quote from: CubiKitsune on May 10, 2019, 11:28:06 AM

Well, the Kiborns seem to be happy enough camping out in purgatory.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2019, 11:37:18 AM
Quote from: CubiKitsune on May 10, 2019, 11:28:06 AM

Well, the Kiborns seem to be happy enough camping out in purgatory.

I get the impression that they're too stubbornly fixated on seeing their curse defeated to move on.

Puyon

I can see the Kiborns not wanting to leave because they want to see Loki succeed/wait for her to be the last one to join them.

The only others who stayed in Purgatory were people with mind bogglingly high debts to pay, being Mana and Zamil.

My bet... is that Purgatory is extraordinarily boring. You can meet a lot of people there, sure, but they won't be in high spirits (heh) being that they just died and all. Some may wait around for a bit, sure, but I think the incentive to being reborn as a new person is kinda like... well, even if it's not you being born, your soul is giving life to someone new. You're letting them live by giving them your soul. Kinda like organ donations.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on May 10, 2019, 03:17:29 PM
My bet... is that Purgatory is extraordinarily boring. You can meet a lot of people there, sure, but they won't be in high spirits (heh) being that they just died and all.

https://bobdrake.bandcamp.com/track/afterlife-revolution
"The current situation in the afterlife sounds eternally boring.  Don't you think that it's time we changed things?  We need an afterlife revolution!"

QuoteSome may wait around for a bit, sure, but I think the incentive to being reborn as a new person is kinda like... well, even if it's not you being born, your soul is giving life to someone new. You're letting them live by giving them your soul. Kinda like organ donations.

Strangely I'm less than enthused about that prospect for a character who's suffered enough in his original form...

I can see the Kiborns not wanting to leave because they want to see Loki succeed/wait for her to be the last one to join them.

Well, that's going to make for a fun reunion if they all get broken down for parts afterwards.
That said, the whole earthly reincarnation concept breaks down if you have a a population boom and there are more people alive than dead.

EDIT: 'The Silver Wolf' by Alice Borshardt had quite an interesting middle ground, in that you could stay in the gardens of the dead as long as you wanted, and reincarnate when you got bored.  But when you returned to the gardens afterwards, you remembered all your incarnations, i.e. each lifetime added to the sum of your existence, rather than replacing it.