2018-12-07 [DMFA 1885] Careful what you wish for

Started by Tapewolf, December 07, 2018, 05:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

For those keeping track, Wildy's boon can be added to the list.  We can probably assume that their mother was not resurrected as Biggs' boon, though...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

If she were, Biggs would have needed to keep it secret in the years since then, which seems a deeply cruel
decision for someone in mourning to make. He may be conniving but to keep his mother's new life a secret from the others - especially if he'd asked for that at such an emotional time - would be a tremendous betrayal.

It's possible that Biggs, not Dan, is the one whose boon remains unused. However it seems more likely to me that Biggs wished for power, and Dan is still the last.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Drakkenmensch

As much as she desires her mom back at that point in time, my impression is that Biggs (Bridget at that time) has proven far too intelligent to wish for some thing as short-sighted as a parent returned to life and made a grander wish to prevent other beings from losing loved ones: the means to overthrow the system where heritage makes you an unchallenged apex predator.

Cassi-kun

With the power to have overthrown Owona - especially against even Dee's expectations - is thus far the strongest evidence that Biggs wished for power. While leading the Twink Territories itself is a feat, to take down a Clan Leader, and apparently undetected in doing so, requires immense resources and refined competence.

keybounce

Wildy: Ice Cream
Bridget/Biggs: Take down the system
Fa'Lina: The school
Jyrras: Get rid of my bracelets of protection +oo
Dan: ???

AzureEdge

You know, we should probably be thankful Wildy used her wish for Ice Cream. Who knows what kinda wish she woulda made when she was older.

Grey Wolf

I hate to be that person, but could we please avoid referring to Biggs as "she" or "Bridget"? Bee, maybe.

Speaking as a trans person, most of us have been our gender all of our lives, even before we were aware of it. Some trans people have a different experience in that they feel they "started" as one gender and "became" another, and I don't want to invalidate that. Maybe that's Biggs's experience. But we also know he doesn't like his dead name being used.

It might seem silly arguing about how a fictional character ought to be referred to, but I see it both as practice for speaking about real-life trans people and a sign of respect for trans people's identities in general.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: AzureEdge on December 08, 2018, 02:55:20 AM
You know, we should probably be thankful Wildy used her wish for Ice Cream. Who knows what kinda wish she woulda made when she was older.

I can see her cursing someone like this but worse...

Lying Foo

"Since we were kids."  Huh.  I think that rules out Fa'lina being one of the five friends... the fifth must be Alexsi, then.

I wonder... is he going to choose the obvious over bringing his mother back to life?  It doesn't seem to be the state he's in.  Or was it, as a lot of people here have implicitly suggested, a side perk of getting the power to reshape the world?  If so, he must be much more powerful than he lets on... what else can he do?!
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Viking ZX

It's possible Bridgette's boon may also have something to do with becoming Briggs. Part and parcel, perhaps.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Lying Foo on December 08, 2018, 05:19:42 PM
"Since we were kids."  Huh.  I think that rules out Fa'lina being one of the five friends... the fifth must be Alexsi, then.
I've come to believe that Mab exists out of linear time, but in context, Alexsi does make more sense than Fa'Lina. But Jy didn't know Dan until they were older than that, and was still granted a boon. So my new theory is that Dan's boon will be related to the extremely unsubtle not-quite-confirmation that Fa'Lina did receive a boon from Mab.

Eboreg

Quote from: Lying Foo on December 08, 2018, 05:19:42 PM

Faeries have been known to fake their death before only to show up several hundreds/thousands of years later. Fa'lina strongly implied that she knew Mab from a previous "life".
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on December 09, 2018, 09:17:53 AM
Faeries have been known to fake their death before only to show up several hundreds/thousands of years later. Fa'lina strongly implied that she knew Mab from a previous "life".

Indeed.  I think Mab had dealings with Fa'Lina before reverting to childhood in order to grow up with and influence some of the main cast.  Mab is certainly old enough to have witnessed linear friends age and die since she pointed out that Rose isn't.
The fact that she's not necessarily bound to linear time also stands, but it looks like she's been doing that anyway or she'd be a bit more certain about whether her plan is going to work.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E