2018-04-16 [DMFA#1831] - Party Foul

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, April 16, 2018, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ooo, Quoar. That's just _mean_.

Much respect, Ambaargh, for adding a snide side to our power player, here.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gelpi

Though Quoar didn't really do anything to protect Abel either.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Gelpi on April 16, 2018, 05:18:22 PM
Though Quoar didn’t really do anything to protect Abel either.

This. ^

Maril

I think that may actually be the point.  I think Quoar knew full well that Abel would get attacked before the party and sent him that invitation specifically to call out Piflak at this party.  He's wounded her pride.  He wounded the pride of the clan leader whose affinity is pride.  So now she's going to act.  He didn't protect Abel on purpose.  Whatever it is Piflak is going to do in retaliation for this was Quoar's goal.  Abel is just a tool being used in his plan.  Which is frankly a dick move. 

Given that Quoar's affinity is love but his clan has a lot of symbology for duality, I'm guessing that this implies there's a lot more to Quoar than meets the eye.  He's either someone with a split personality, one being a loving bard, the other being a dick trickster, or he's just super sneaky and has some plot to stop the next dragon-cubi war from being started by Destania.  Probably the latter.  But man Abel just keeps getting shit on by other people's plans.  When is he going to get to be involved in a plan where he just gets cupcakes and a nap? 

Hoodoo

Considering that she had already claimed to destroy anyone who came between them, I'm going to guess it's -very- likely this is a plot to get her to do something rash.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Maril on April 16, 2018, 09:34:02 PM

I think that may actually be the point.  I think Quoar knew full well that Abel would get attacked before the party and sent him that invitation specifically to call out Piflak at this party.  He's wounded her pride.  He wounded the pride of the clan leader whose affinity is pride.  So now she's going to act.  He didn't protect Abel on purpose.  Whatever it is Piflak is going to do in retaliation for this was Quoar's goal.  Abel is just a tool being used in his plan.  Which is frankly a dick move. 

Given that Quoar's affinity is love but his clan has a lot of symbology for duality, I'm guessing that this implies there's a lot more to Quoar than meets the eye.  He's either someone with a split personality, one being a loving bard, the other being a dick trickster, or he's just super sneaky and has some plot to stop the next dragon-cubi war from being started by Destania.  Probably the latter.  But man Abel just keeps getting shit on by other people's plans.  When is he going to get to be involved in a plan where he just gets cupcakes and a nap?

It's also likely that Quoar didn't anticipate the attack and that this is a retaliatory action being done as a strategic move after the fact. I mean how do you anticipate that Hizel would be personally stalking a single cubi especially one who is usually secretive and uses agents? Quoar may not be able to act alone and this is how he retaliates to such acts by powerful beings especially those of a draconic nature. Rallying allies with clever words is something bards tend to do after all.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Dard

I also think that Quoar did not anticipate the attack on Abel.
Although I still wonder what exactly his motivation was to bring Abel to Piflak's party, I get the feeling that what he is doing now is just improvise: Now that something bad has happened to Abel he is using that to get Piflak personally involved in the whole mess.
I mean, he just said something that hurt her pride, and pride is IIFC Piflak's affinity. She will probably act on it.

Tapewolf

I'm going to wait and see how this pans out before rushing to judgement.  We know practically nothing about him compared to Piflak, whom we've seen in action for a while now.  Besides, Piflak's intentions towards Quoar were a bit self-serving anyway, so this might just be a 'touché' moment.

I'm not convinced he knew this would happen.  The prime opportunity for attacking Abel was the fact that he went out to the nightclub and then went to a graveyard in the middle of the night.  You'd have to predict both those things AND that Hizell would be tracking him closely enough to assault him there.  Had Abel stayed put in Lost Lake until the party, things would likely have gone to plan for Quoar (but less so for Biggs and Destania).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gelpi

I know that I tend to forget that Falina is the only clan leader with a degree of clairvoyance (while she's at the academy) and it's most likely not something that any of the other clan leaders possess with the exception of Zezzuva since her clan specializes in information gathering. Piflak still doesn't know who killed her own clan member let alone know that Abel was going to be attacked.  The only way I can see her being totally responsible is if Miss Priss was assigned to never let Abel out of her sight and possibly could have warped him out of danger.  But having a warp aci up your butt all day every day would get old quick as Abel demonstrated.
Though we can pretty much all agree that Abel basically had a target on his back since he left SAIA. 

Shakal

Quote from: Gelpi on April 17, 2018, 09:35:22 AM
I know that I tend to forget that Falina is the only clan leader with a degree of clairvoyance (while she's at the academy) and it's most likely not something that any of the other clan leaders possess with the exception of Zezzuva since her clan specializes in information gathering. Piflak still doesn't know who killed her own clan member let alone know that Abel was going to be attacked.  The only way I can see her being totally responsible is if Miss Priss was assigned to never let Abel out of her sight and possibly could have warped him out of danger.  But having a warp aci up your butt all day every day would get old quick as Abel demonstrated.
Though we can pretty much all agree that Abel basically had a target on his back since he left SAIA.

I don't think the backhanded comment from Quoar was because he really expected Piflak to be directly protecting Abel, this is all about Pride/status/influence. In theory having an invitation to Piflak's party should have been like wearing Fey Bangles, in that "Don't mess with them for now, or you'll anger Piflak and you KNOW how powerful she is!" And no this isn't an actual thing that would happen, as unlike Fey Bangles the invite list for Piflak's parties isn't something that's clear and evident anyways. But that doesn't mean that Quoar pointing out that her being (completely reasonably) unable to prevent one of her invited guests from being too injured to arrive isn't a shot straight at her Pride. And as this is the Clan Leader of Pride, that's a knife that cuts deep.

The attack on Abel had NOTHING to do with Piflak. With three sentences, Quoar MADE it an insult and attack on Piflak.

Be wary of a talented bard, for they can topple nations with but the spoken word.

Shakal

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 17, 2018, 05:31:26 AM
I'm going to wait and see how this pans out before rushing to judgement.  We know practically nothing about him compared to Piflak, whom we've seen in action for a while now.  Besides, Piflak's intentions towards Quoar were a bit self-serving anyway, so this might just be a 'touché' moment.

I'm not convinced he knew this would happen.  The prime opportunity for attacking Abel was the fact that he went out to the nightclub and then went to a graveyard in the middle of the night.  You'd have to predict both those things AND that Hizell would be tracking him closely enough to assault him there.  Had Abel stayed put in Lost Lake until the party, things would likely have gone to plan for Quoar (but less so for Biggs and Destania).

I personally don't think Quoar anticipated the attack, as you point out it takes a lot of correct guesses and a couple prophetic leaps to get Abel and Hizell into that graveyard together. On the other hand, Improv is one of the key fundamentals of being an entertainer. He didn't get to meet Abel, but he can still make all this work out in his favor.

Prroul

Meddle ye not in the affairs of Bards, for they are crafty, and your name can be made to scan to 'Brave Sir Robin'.

I am also seeing this as a 'plan B', although not a 'plan CM (Complete Mess)'... yet at least. He got her interested in Abel's life, when before she wasn't. I'm betting he's working on support for a move against Hizel, and this is yet another stitch in that weave.

Arcblade

As a reminder, this is apparently an example of Piflak's revenge.  Should be interesting.  :3

Howl

Arcblade

Yes, yes, I've been a lurker for years, and the first thing I get on posting something constructive is snark.  Charming.  Well, it's changed, so hope you're happy.

Dard

Quote from: Arcblade on April 19, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
As a reminder, this is apparently an example of Piflak's revenge.  Should be interesting.  :3
Considering recent events, the following page is also noteworthy.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Arcblade on April 22, 2018, 11:55:03 AM
Yes, yes, I've been a lurker for years, and the first thing I get on posting something constructive is snark.  Charming.  Well, it's changed, so hope you're happy.

You expected otherwise? You can't have been reading the posts by the moderators very well...

(btw, photobucket shows a huge placer image, like full-page size, when you're linking off-site. You might not see that, but we all do...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Howl

Yeah, I was taking a shot at the avatar being a giant broken Photobucket thing. Probably could've just said "Your avatar is broken.", but the past is where it is.