2017-12-04 [DMFA # 1803] Colours of mourning

Started by MT Hazard, December 04, 2017, 06:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Where we learn that black wings in mourning is a tradition, not just the choice of one clan leader.

Curiously Piflak is the only character I've seen with pads on her hands.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 04, 2017, 06:36:33 AM
Where we learn that black wings in mourning is a tradition, not just the choice of one clan leader.

This is indeed curious.  Jakob and co originally had paw-pads in Project Future since it seemed like a sensible idea for them to grip things with.  But no DMFA character has ever had them so they kind of faded away.  Now we have Piflak and I'm wondering how it all hangs together.

As for the black wings, presumably that tends to be done in private or among other 'Cubi since if you're pretending to be some other Creature, having your wings suddenly change colour might raise a few awkward questions.  I'll have to remember this for future stuff - I think there's only a couple of places where I should really consider going back and adding black wings.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 04, 2017, 06:55:02 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on December 04, 2017, 06:36:33 AM

This is indeed curious.  Jakob and co originally had paw-pads in Project Future since it seemed like a sensible idea for them to grip things with.  But no DMFA character has ever had them so they kind of faded away.  Now we have Piflak and I'm wondering how it all hangs together.

As for the black wings, presumably that tends to be done in private or among other 'Cubi since if you're pretending to be some other Creature, having your wings suddenly change colour might raise a few awkward questions.  I'll have to remember this for future stuff - I think there's only a couple of places where I should really consider going back and adding black wings.

I don't know, magic is common enough I'd think changing the colors of one's wings is up there with other cosmetic magics so wouldn't be that suspicious.  The only thing you might have to worry about is if you're trying to conceal you're a cubi and people know that they change wings to black as a sign of mourning, unless other non-cubi are known to do so as well.

Grey Wolf

Well, white is also a color of mourning in some cultures...
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

AzureEdge

Well, that explains the leader of that one Clan that has members inquiring about Abel since, if I remember right, her wings have been Black ever since Siar died. Thought it was part of some overly dramatic thing she was doing. Turns out it is actually a part of Cubi Culture for her to have done that, she just never stopped.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AzureEdge on December 04, 2017, 09:35:32 AM
Well, that explains the leader of that one Clan that has members inquiring about Abel since, if I remember right, her wings have been Black ever since Siar died. Thought it was part of some overly dramatic thing she was doing. Turns out it is actually a part of Cubi Culture for her to have done that, she just never stopped.

Seme is the despair clan leader, so she's likely to go in for that in a bigger way than many.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WarenRose

The subject of mourning kinda hits close to home right now, I just lost my fiance to cancer a few weeks ago( thank you everyone for your warm thoughts). I mostly wanted to thank Amber for her comic strip, in a way it has helped me maintain a sense of 'normalcy' in my life.

ZacAttac21

Cassi-kun

I like how Abyss went with anime-angel type wings.

And I notice that Piflak said "most," so wonder what the clans who don't turn their wings black do instead, if they do anything particular at all.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Puyon

Y'know, I was wondering about Piflak's hands and how they're padded. I've seen padded paws on the feet of certain characters, but never the hands. By the way, have you ever seen raccoon paws? They're much less padded paws and more like straight up hands.

Also... Somehow I didn't catch the color change in the wings between last appearance and now...
...By Puyon

Akktari

Quote from: WarenRose on December 04, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
The subject of mourning kinda hits close to home right now, I just lost my fiance to cancer a few weeks ago( thank you everyone for your warm thoughts). I mostly wanted to thank Amber for her comic strip, in a way it has helped me maintain a sense of 'normalcy' in my life.

I'm so sorry to hear. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also noticed that the color of Piflak's pads changed color. In strip #1389, when her wings were black, her pads are white/cream color. Wonder why...?
Memory like Dory.

Akisohida

I have a face for livestreaming video games...which I do! :D

Poor Abyss..I kinda wand to learn more of her species, but something tells me they get kind of grabby. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Akisohida on December 05, 2017, 12:31:53 AMPoor Abyss..I kinda wand to learn more of her species, but something tells me they get kind of grabby. :)
I wonder if it's at least partially because of the tendency to grow into their clan's affiliation, too.

And I see now that the page is shaded, she's pink and sparkly too!
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Angel

Note to self: update will so that everyone has to wear magical-girl looking white/pink sparklies to my funeral.

Also, love Abyss's memory of the fellow she's mourning. XD
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

AzureEdge

Oh yeah. I just remembered. It is said an outfit worn to a Piflak party is sure to make the designer famous. I wonder just how much further it would go with Piflak herself saying she loves the outfit and one of her children or grandchildren or so on being from an important fashion magazine hearing this.