2017-12-01 [DMFA # 1802] Boys in blue

Started by MT Hazard, December 01, 2017, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Nice to see some Blue mountain mythos who managed to survive being exiled, their resistance to charm magic helps in that job I imagine.

Chuck that pretender to the curb boys, he has no place in this cannon.  :mowwink
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Dard

It just occured to me: How would Dimanika look like to Dan when he sees her now?

Right that moment I would guess Matilda. I mean, he just saw a couple of Blue Mountain mythoi, which are apparently quite rare outside their natural habitat. It would be logical for Dan to think about her right now.

Later, when the inevitable confrontation with Regina is going on, I guess to him there would be two Reginas. I mean, once he laid eye on her, I doubt he would be able to think about anyone else!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on December 01, 2017, 09:29:52 AM
It just occured to me: How would Dimanika look like to Dan when he sees her now?

As a mouse with a lollipop, I think.  That effect is a one-off when you first meet her, as far as I know.

Yay, Daryil did make it!  For those wondering, he got into the habit of wearing long gloves to cover his clan mark.  Which was on one of his wrists prior to the big power-up.

The rant includes the following note:
"a lot of their comic is based on the hopeful speculation I am not going to kill off the entire Cubi race by the end of this series.
As an aside, there is a small chance I may kill off the entire cubi race at the end of this series. If only to spare myself starting
a new comic  due to being strangled to death with recording tape by an angry British man."

Hopefully we won't have to do the 'Alternate timeline' dance...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2017, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: Dard on December 01, 2017, 09:29:52 AM

As a mouse with a lollipop, I think.  That effect is a one-off when you first meet her, as far as I know.
Nah, remember Mink? After Dan ran into Didi, Mink saw her as another Dan until she introduced herself. And had clearly been introduced before.

QuoteYay, Daryil did make it!  For those wondering, he got into the habit of wearing long gloves to cover his clan mark.  Which was on one of his wrists prior to the big power-up.

The rant includes the following note:
"a lot of their comic is based on the hopeful speculation I am not going to kill off the entire Cubi race by the end of this series.
As an aside, there is a small chance I may kill off the entire cubi race at the end of this series. If only to spare myself starting
a new comic  due to being strangled to death with recording tape by an angry British man."

Hopefully we won't have to do the 'Alternate timeline' dance...
Eh, I've always seen Project Future as an 'alternate timeline' of DMFA, simply because that way there's no continuity discontinuity if things diverge.

I almost wonder if the bouncer's names were an intentional reference to... naaaaah.

Poor Daryil, he can never seem to get a break.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on December 01, 2017, 10:14:36 AM
Nah, remember Mink? After Dan ran into Didi, Mink saw her as another Dan until she introduced herself. And had clearly been introduced before.

That's true.  I'm just going by 1417: "Whenever someone first sees you, you look like whoever they were just thinking about?"
...but I suppose that might mean that this happens every time someone bumps into her.

AzureEdge

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2017, 10:23:25 AM
Quote from: Prroul on December 01, 2017, 10:14:36 AM

That's true.  I'm just going by 1417: "Whenever someone first sees you, you look like whoever they were just thinking about?"
...but I suppose that might mean that this happens every time someone bumps into her.
Or it could just be Mink being Mink with how distracted he gets he might honestly forget all about Dimanika at times and thus trigger that specific effect.

Akisohida

You know...My brain likes making problems, so part of me pictures this happening:

Dan: Are Zig & Zag your actual names?

Zig: Nope. Our real names are hard for people to pronounce, so we use those. We're not brothers, either.

Zag: Yeah. It would be weird for two siblings to be banished. Though I do have a sister who was banished years ago; Matilda.

Dan:  :erk GottaGoBye!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Cassi-kun

My brain stalled out for a moment seeing more of Matila's people.

I wonder if this page is too fourth-wall-breaking to be considered canon either

Quote from: Prroul on December 01, 2017, 10:14:36 AMEh, I've always seen Project Future as an 'alternate timeline' of DMFA
I've always considered my own continuity as being "slightly sideways" from DMFA proper
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on December 01, 2017, 10:14:36 AMEh, I've always seen Project Future as an 'alternate timeline' of DMFA

Quote from: Cassi-kun on December 01, 2017, 11:37:45 AM
I've always considered my own continuity as being "slightly sideways" from DMFA proper

The official description on the PF website is "Bear in mind that this strip will probably not match DMFA canon 100% - it might be best to consider it one of several possible futures."
As a rule I've done my best to make it DMFA-compatible, and just skirt around any differences in the hopes nobody will notice.

ZacAttac21

This just made my day. xD

And if you consider the multiverse theory, he's totally canon!

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2017, 11:45:55 AM
As a rule I've done my best to make it DMFA-compatible, and just skirt around any differences in the hopes nobody will notice.
I've gone back to edit things on a few occasions, such as removing SAIA from future characters' lives, or having to specify what my Owona Cubi chose to do after her death. It helps that my continuity is still very loose at this point.

Raskahn

Quote from: CubiKitsune on December 01, 2017, 12:27:31 PM
This just made my day. xD

And if you consider the multiverse theory, he's totally canon!

And mine!  :boogie

Eagle0600

Quote from: Akisohida on December 01, 2017, 11:17:00 AM
Zag: Yeah. It would be weird for two siblings to be banished. Though I do have a sister who was banished years ago; Matilda.

Unfortunately unlikely to happen. Her original name wasn't "Matilda," it's "Kissriss," and there's another problem which I won't spoil if you want to read Matilda's story.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Bweeheehee. Well done, Ambaargh. Stick it to that angry British man. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Akisohida

Quote from: Eagle0600 on December 01, 2017, 03:36:10 PM
Quote from: Akisohida on December 01, 2017, 11:17:00 AM

Unfortunately unlikely to happen. Her original name wasn't "Matilda," it's "Kissriss," and there's another problem which I won't spoil if you want to read Matilda's story.

Huh..yeah, that was written while I was in a bad patch of life, so I never read it all until just now :)

Still...I wonder how Matilda would react to other exiles? I mean, they probably would not be from the same clan, but I can wonder.
Like, what if they made their own clan, outside of the Blue Volcano? Not a real family unit, but friends, you know? A clan in name only. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tuyu

Quote from: Akisohida on December 01, 2017, 10:35:10 PM
Still...I wonder how Matilda would react to other exiles? I mean, they probably would not be from the same clan, but I can wonder.
Like, what if they made their own clan, outside of the Blue Volcano? Not a real family unit, but friends, you know? A clan in name only. :)
This is why I woot'd when I saw those guys. Given Mattie's conversations with Dan, it seems unlikely she knows of any other of her kind who've survived. And given Dan's going to visit Mattie...connections...

Angel

(smiling forever)

(it will never stop)

(seriously call a doctor)
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

katasev

Just throwing this out there as speculation, but.... who says Zig and Zag are exiles? Matilda's talk show was from over a hundred years ago. So that scientific expedition that rescued her happened over 100 years ago. So after Matilda, and after seeing her reaction to real food (along with the subsequent knowledge that her kind CAN eat real food and survive without the crystals, though it requires careful adjustment and not instantly jumping into pancake death) who's to say that further scientific explorations armed with this very important information didn't travel to the mountains and set up friendly relations? Maybe Zig and Zag were more similar to Matilda's brother than we know, and chose to leave the mountain voluntarily rather than live with duels and crystals.

Cassi-kun

There's also the fact that they're taking orders from a female, so they must have been out of the volcano for a while.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on December 02, 2017, 03:15:34 PM
There's also the fact that they're taking orders from a female, so they must have been out of the volcano for a while.

For all we know they're descended from exiles, in which case they'd never have even seen the volcano, and could have been raised in a very different culture.

ZacAttac21

A female who could kick their asses, mind you.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: CubiKitsune on December 02, 2017, 05:34:56 PM

A female who could kick their asses, mind you.
I can imagine how shocking that would be XD

The One Guy

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 02, 2017, 03:48:07 PM

For all we know they're descended from exiles, in which case they'd never have even seen the volcano, and could have been raised in a very different culture.
I got the impression girls didn't typically get exiled (the only reason Matilda did was because she got the punishment of a male), thus there's no one for exiles to breed with.  These two certainly don't look like half-breeds, though I suppose it's entirely possible they're cubi.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: The One Guy on December 02, 2017, 07:54:53 PMThese two certainly don't look like half-breeds, though I suppose it's entirely possible they're cubi.
I think if they were Cubi, they'd at least have their back wings out like Dan.

It's also possible that their race is powerful enough to stomp out the (visible) characteristics of their mother's race.

Alternatively, an exiled male could have brought his wife with him.

Tuyu

Quote from: katasev on December 02, 2017, 04:23:50 AM
Just throwing this out there as speculation, but.... who says Zig and Zag are exiles? Matilda's talk show was from over a hundred years ago.
At one point in his conversations with Matilda, Dan mentioned that he'd fought blue volcano mythos (or that he'd heard about them, I forget). From that conversation, they don't seem to have any additional connection with the outside world in the present. Of course, that's a very narrow window of information.

katasev

Quote from: Tuyu on December 03, 2017, 02:47:19 AM
Quote from: katasev on December 02, 2017, 04:23:50 AM
Just throwing this out there as speculation, but.... who says Zig and Zag are exiles? Matilda's talk show was from over a hundred years ago.
At one point in his conversations with Matilda, Dan mentioned that he'd fought blue volcano mythos (or that he'd heard about them, I forget). From that conversation, they don't seem to have any additional connection with the outside world in the present. Of course, that's a very narrow window of information.

Found it! Fought, apparently. And though he mentions that they were vicious (and Matilda herself admits that her species is known for being vicious in the page just prior) it might not be too uncommon for them to venture forth?
Though perhaps he traveled there, though I can't think of why he would. (And in 645, Jyrras calls her Ms. Kissriss, so I guess she kept her original name as a surname! I'm not sure if I remembered that detail, either.)

Matilda does say at the end of her bonus arc that the blue Mythos who are considered so aggressive and territorial are the ones who are starving and confused about that, having never had anything but combat with which to resolve their problems, but as I had said when that arc first aired, it's probably not really such a bad thing for most folk to be cautious of beings who are very strong, very combat-oriented, and who have been kicked out of the mountain for fratricide. Because as far as we saw, killing other males is a normal part of their society, so long as it's in a proper and appropriate duel. The only way (that we were shown, anyway, there may be other unforgivable sins) to get kicked out is to literally murder your own brother - and I seriously doubt there are all that many stories like Matilda's in that group.

Approached by scientists or whatnot while they're still within the mountain and not in danger of starving, when it's clear the other group just wants to communicate, I bet at least a couple would be interested in outworld travel. I'm sure plenty aren't, because change is hard and the life you know often seems better than the dangers of the unknown, but there's certainly a small chance that Zig and Zag aren't exiles.

Though of course they might be, and maybe Piflak just picked them up (probably bodily, lol) before they starved to death and gave them a good ole cubi smackdown to establish herself as top dog. Bear. You know what I mean.

Alondro

And then Charline crashes the party by streaking.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Cassi-kun

Nalia shows up, the guests avoid her, like a shark in the middle of a school of fish.

She drinks all the punch herself.

(Nalia would actually be a - relatively - valid cameo too, since her father was from Piflak)