2017-08-15 [DMFA #1776] - Ashes to ashes

Started by Tapewolf, August 15, 2017, 04:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This makes me wonder if dragons are only invulnerable in their big, lizardy form.  The only other time we've seen Pyroduck at risk of death was when Abel was about to take his head off.
Pity about Miss Minion... we never did learn her name.  Given that Hizell tends to be all 'avenge my children', I do wonder if she'd have been executed afterwards, had she succeeded.

At least Hizell is staggering them... had it been a constant flood of minions, one after the other, things would have got really awkward.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lego3400

Actully, I'm hoping Mab just poofed her away somewhere. I wouldn't be surpised if it was something she could do. (Also, nice call back to way back to rescueing Lexi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lego3400 on August 15, 2017, 05:16:48 AM
Actully, I'm hoping Mab just poofed her away somewhere. I wouldn't be surpised if it was something she could do. (Also, nice call back to way back to rescueing Lexi)

I did wonder, but there's lots of particles and smoke which are the same colour as her body was.   The mess at the bottom of the page is what leads me to believe she's just been incinerated.

AzureEdge

Shakal

I still wonder how the option of "How about you, and any of your sisters he sends after you, just work for me now?" would have gone. It probably couldn't have worked, just wondering the reason why.

Puyon

...By Puyon

The One Guy

Well, they do seem to be her weapon class of choice when she goes for physical attacks.

keybounce

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 15, 2017, 04:18:06 AM
At least Hizell is staggering them... had it been a constant flood of minions, one after the other, things would have got really awkward.

Nah, you send the weaker ones until the adventurer levels up, then you send stronger ones, and so on. Standard design of an evil overlord lair -- gives you something to watch on the "Teevoo!"

==

What I really find interesting was the whole "She will not show up until you are truly in danger" line, with Mab showing up right when Pyro is refusing to fight to defend himself.

So it looks like Pyro would have died, except for being protected by Mab. So has/will Mab extend a boon to Pyro?

If he's one of the 5, that kinda kills my theory about Mab's past gifts; if he's now a 6th, that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Hariman

Quote from: Puyon on August 15, 2017, 11:41:11 AM
Maybe Mab should consider dual-classing since she seems to have a penchant for picking up polearm weapons as drops...

That prior "Ooh, a plus 2 voulge!" joke was my first thought when seeing that panel.

Quote from: Shakal on August 15, 2017, 10:55:12 AM
I still wonder how the option of "How about you, and any of your sisters he sends after you, just work for me now?" would have gone. It probably couldn't have worked, just wondering the reason why.

All of the sisters have a mental connection of some kind, so the others would know, and so would Hizell. On top of that, they also have a death cult centered around Hizell too.

That IS an option though.

Anti-magic and capturing each one so that they can't keep attacking is a start for another plan. But that also requires a way to get a restraining order against an entire race of mythos, AND a dragon.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Cassi-kun

It's possible that Mab was able to save the taur, but had to do so in a way that would convince Pyro that the taur was dead. She'd have needed to severed the taur's connection to her sisters to make it convincing, though. But this is likely well within Mab's power and it seems unlikely (in this reality & incarnation) that she would kill when another option is available.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

keybounce

I just realized that the polearm is breaking the 2nd and 3rd wall.

Or is it breaking the 4th wall and just being in front of the 2nd and 3rd?

Akisohida

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 15, 2017, 06:38:56 AM

I did wonder, but there's lots of particles and smoke which are the same colour as her body was.   The mess at the bottom of the page is what leads me to believe she's just been incinerated.

I think the dark stuff and 'mess' and stuff is just magical aura.

I bet Mab teleported her to the Fae Realm. THAT would put her outside of ANY link Hizell has, Maybe break them and allow her to work for Pyroduck. :) Maybe she won't be able to come back in person (or Hizell would know), but she would have useful information!

..Now Pyroduck needs a CODEC link to her. "Pyroduck? Pyroduck! PYROOOOOO.....duck!"
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Akisohida on August 15, 2017, 08:48:28 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 15, 2017, 06:38:56 AM

I think the dark stuff and 'mess' and stuff is just magical aura.

I bet Mab teleported her to the Fae Realm. THAT would put her outside of ANY link Hizell has, Maybe break them and allow her to work for Pyroduck. :) Maybe she won't be able to come back in person (or Hizell would know), but she would have useful information!

..Now Pyroduck needs a CODEC link to her. "Pyroduck? Pyroduck! PYROOOOOO.....duck!"

Well it wouldn't be the first time she's killed people with no regrets. She blew up her glen with at least one person in it although it did look like he was talking to a camera crew. She also said later she has no regrets in life so it can be assumed she has no qualms with killing someone who threatens those she cares about or even inconveniences her. It is possible that she teleported her to a safe place to hide her but I feel it's unlikely although not entirely implausible. Mab has shown little sympathy to the plights of lessers beyond "they need to do things themselves but I'll help them along a bit" unless they're her friends or someone she values and with her practical godhood that's not surprising she'd have that as a character trait. I actually find the idea of Mab's views very intriguing. She retains her perspective of a god like being who can deny death but also cares about others outside of other all powerful beings. Some of her views seem either cruel or naive but they just come from the perspective of an ageless entity with no impactful fear of death for herself.

Also I'm assuming this Mab apparating thing is just localized to the inn otherwise Pyroduck can just leave and hunt down Hizel with no fear of death at all and then Mab can just vaporize him too.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 16, 2017, 07:53:52 AM
Also I'm assuming this Mab apparating thing is just localized to the inn otherwise Pyroduck can just leave and hunt down Hizel with no fear of death at all and then Mab can just vaporize him too.

That's likely how they got to the moons, actually.  I'd suspect the reason Mab hasn't topped off Hizell herself is to do with the whole "they need to do things themselves" business.

Kibin

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 16, 2017, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 16, 2017, 07:53:52 AM

That's likely how they got to the moons, actually.  I'd suspect the reason Mab hasn't topped off Hizell herself is to do with the whole "they need to do things themselves" business.

Or draconic beings of order(who Pip used to be a part of) being kind of fussy if the fae vaporized a particularly powerful dragon or the like.

Offing a random taur, sure. Being a significant influence and effectively taking out an entire country because they like one person, proooobably something that would get something elses attention.

Attention from the extradimensional beings that are similar but not quite like the dragons we see on Furrae, that is.

Dard

I still wonder why Hizell thinks that Mab's protecting Pyroduck will be limited to his minions.
If I were him I would be very concerned about annoying her by forcing her to intervene again and again and again until she decides to stop the constant annoyance once and for all.

Even if Mab doesn't kill (which we don't know) he might end up being stuck in Tele Tubby land with lots of rainbows and unicorns.

Lego3400

Quote from: Dard on August 17, 2017, 07:31:32 AM
I still wonder why Hizell thinks that Mab's protecting Pyroduck will be limited to his minions.
If I were him I would be very concerned about annoying her by forcing her to intervene again and again and again until she decides to stop the constant annoyance once and for all.

Even if Mab doesn't kill (which we don't know) he might end up being stuck in Tele Tubby land with lots of rainbows and unicorns.

He doesn't. He knows Mab is protecting the inn (He saw her when Scyring Abel once) and commented on it, saying he can't just go and destroy the whole area as long as there's a fae there and he couldn't even attempt his orginal plan. He backed off even sending one of the Taur girls there at the time as well. It's why he waited till Abel was in Zinveth to attack him, despite the backlash that had.  He knew the minon was going to die this time, either at Pryo's hand or Mab's. It's why he didn't show up in person because she would have smited him the moment he showed.

Dard

Quote from: Lego3400 on August 18, 2017, 12:41:37 AM
He doesn't. He knows Mab is protecting the inn (He saw her when Scyring Abel once) and commented on it, saying he can't just go and destroy the whole area as long as there's a fae there and he couldn't even attempt his orginal plan. He backed off even sending one of the Taur girls there at the time as well. It's why he waited till Abel was in Zinveth to attack him, despite the backlash that had.  He knew the minon was going to die this time, either at Pryo's hand or Mab's. It's why he didn't show up in person because she would have smited him the moment he showed.
And why would he think Map wouldn't smite him if he sent minions instead of going himself? At that time I thought Hizell would back up from any plan that would go against Lost Lake residents or friends. That he would only continue using ways that could not be traced back to him.
But now he pretty much used a megaphone to announce himself.

I mean, okay, I'm not Mab, but if I were her, I would would go for the one who orders the inconvenience, not destroying the tool.

PhycoKrusk

Weird as they are, fae are still bound by certain rules, and those rules appear to be intrinsic to their being.

It's possible there's some rule that is preventing Mab from taking action against Hizell unless he personally shows up at Lost Lake. As to why he backed off sending a minion before but now seems to be all for it, the thing with rules is that a clever individual can figure out a way to exploit the rules without breaking them: Maybe someone tipped him off as to what one of the rules in play was.

I'm speculating, sure, but it makes you think, don't it?