2017-08-05 [DMFA #1774] - Fanatics make unreliable friends

Started by Tapewolf, August 05, 2017, 04:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I am really starting to like that 'taur design.  Too bad she's chaotic evil.
Hmm.  This also means that sitting on her won't work if she can just beam out from under him.

EDIT: Reckon they can invoice Hizell for the damage?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

Worth the wait on this page! Poor grumpy Pyroduck, he did not sign up for this

Famout

Is there anyone that sells a endless supply of sleep spells around?

Edit: Thought came to me, while might be almost crippling in some ways, what if there was a way to cut her off from the hive mind? I mean, it's not likely to be nice, but its less evil then murder.
It feels odd not having a fuzzy avatar picture around here....

Akisohida

Quote from: Famout on August 05, 2017, 09:59:15 AM

Edit: Thought came to me, while might be almost crippling in some ways, what if there was a way to cut her off from the hive mind? I mean, it's not likely to be nice, but its less evil then murder.

If their species is a hive mind by nature..well, she'd probably just shut down. No personality of her own and, contrary to comic books, I doubt one would just appear the moment she got cut off.

..So it'd work, but it would be like putting her in a coma. At least, that's how I see it; brain does the work of keeping her alive, but she would be otherwise inert.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

I don't think they are a hive mind.  They're connected, certainly, but individuals rather than avatars or appendages of a greater individual.
The language is all wrong, in the last panel especially: 'How many of my sisters will come after me'... that's not how a gestalt entity would normally refer to its parts, it reads a lot more like a fanatic who is happy to die for their god.  Which supposedly is the case.

In a way that's a shame - were she part of a hive mind, it would make killing her much less awkward, since it wouldn't strictly be killing her in the normal sense.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 05, 2017, 04:51:38 AM
I am really starting to like that 'taur design.
Likewise. It's nice to see such a complete body shot.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

keybounce

Amber, I really want to call this a double-page.

Your update note says, "It is the problem when working in a format where I try to keep each comic sort of semi-self contained. Like the extra panels are useful to sort of show what actions are happening...but would be really awkward to break it into multiple parts "

I'm going to assume that you'll want to make a print edition of your comic at some point (most good webcomics do). The first three rows look about the same size as normal; if that last panel ends with the comment "She will only arrive when you are in true danger" it makes a full page/update.

Moving Pyro's comment about teleporting to the top of the next page (probably with a thin, wide panel to fill the page) then makes the next page full.

The point: First, please consider this a double page -- a full week's worth. Don't stress out about Monday's update. Second, do consider doing a book or two :-). (At the least, consider organizing your stories in the future into book-sized stopping points?). Third, your art and story is great. (Yes, I know your comic about what the art looks like to you.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: keybounce on August 05, 2017, 01:39:30 PM
Second, do consider doing a book or two :-). (At the least, consider organizing your stories in the future into book-sized stopping points?). Third, your art and story is great. (Yes, I know your comic about what the art looks like to you.)

There is a bit of a problem in that no high-res images prior to p.675 are known to exist.  Abel's Story is presumably also MIA up until about page 40, at a guess.

However, Sofox recently discovered a process to clean up comics and double the resolution using a neural network.  After a lot of faffing around setting up the CUDA subsystems needed for processing, I was able to run the entire Abel's Story series through the process.  It's still a little low res for print, but far better than simply using the JPEG files off the site.
(Running the rescaling process twice results in mush, unfortunately)

Here's an example:
http://projectfuturecomic.com/Abel21-cleanup.png

...it would be nice to see Abel's Story in print, that was originally one of the goals, to have it as a standalone book.

AzureEdge

You don't need to pay for thearpy Pyroduck. Just have Mab take you to the Fae Kingdom for a day. By the time you get back you won't even need therapy for what you are currently going through anymore.

keybounce

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 05, 2017, 02:18:01 PM
There is a bit of a problem in that no high-res images prior to p.675 are known to exist.  Abel's Story is presumably also MIA up until about page 40, at a guess.

So I just looked at 674, 675, and 676; at least the normal online comics all look the same size.

Is there a higher res for patreons?

Tuyu

katasev

Quote from: keybounce on August 06, 2017, 12:36:13 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 05, 2017, 02:18:01 PM

So I just looked at 674, 675, and 676; at least the normal online comics all look the same size.

Is there a higher res for patreons?

I feel like I remember a Questions from the Reader or a comment somewhere too though that Amber didn't want to make print copies because of her personal feelings about the quality of the initial strips, too. (Personally, I find it fascinating beyond belief to watch an artist's skills grow through a comic archive.) I could see Abel's Story being run as a self contained thing, but I don't think we'll ever get a print version of the main comic.

Though I would also agree, that especially if the next comic ALSO has multiple extra panels, that Amber get one free rest day since the two of them together would be enough for three updates. Maybe add a +1 to the vacation days counter, or just take Monday off if you need and have the next update wait for Friday anyway? :3

(I confess I would be a wee sad to have no page, but that's nothing compared to having a happy, healthy artist! Amber needs her rest! Take care of your own health and sanity, Amber!)

Cassi-kun

She also cited legal reasons for not going to print, since she included Pokémon & Ninja Turtles in the earlier strips too.

Cassi-kun

Just noticed that she's still putting his name in quotations... I smell an impending True Name on the wind!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on August 07, 2017, 12:13:01 AM
Just noticed that she's still putting his name in quotations... I smell an impending True Name on the wind!

Should 'Hizell' also be in quotes, I wonder?

The One Guy

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 07, 2017, 04:23:18 AM

No, I think the idea is that Hizell and his biological mother gave him a name before he was captured and given to Fa'Lina.  Thus, Hizell considers that to be his true name rather than the one the Phoenix oracles game him.

Grey Wolf

Less evil to who? She's already made it clear she's willing to die (by Pyro or Mab).
It might make Pyroduck feel better about things, but he'd arguably doing her a greater wrong.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: The One Guy on August 07, 2017, 01:55:13 PM

No, I think the idea is that Hizell and his biological mother gave him a name before he was captured and given to Fa'Lina.  Thus, Hizell considers that to be his true name rather than the one the Phoenix oracles game him.
And I'm wondering if Pyro even knows what it is, since she's seemingly emphasizing that SHE knows,  but isn't using it to address him.

Alondro

That poor 'chakat', brainwashed by the hideous, malevolent, heroin-selling, child-molesting (propaganda is awesome!) dragon Hizell into being a meanie rather than yiffing madly with everything. 

So tragic. 

And it's all Hizell's fault!  Because he's too busy selling nukes to North Korea and grinding babies into eternal youth capsules to sell on the Asian black market to realize he's an evil monster!   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

keybounce

Quote from: Cassi-kun on August 06, 2017, 02:44:30 PM
She also cited legal reasons for not going to print, since she included Pokémon & Ninja Turtles in the earlier strips too.

At least in the USA, Fair Use / Parody protects that. There's plenty of parody works being sold for profit.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: keybounce on August 08, 2017, 09:05:18 PM
Quote from: Cassi-kun on August 06, 2017, 02:44:30 PM

At least in the USA, Fair Use / Parody protects that. There's plenty of parody works being sold for profit.
She may just not be comfortable taking the risk and/or not feel it's worth the effort to make sure. Personally I'm not comfortable making a profit off copyrighted characters unless it's a commission.

Tuyu

Quote from: The One Guy on August 07, 2017, 01:55:13 PM

That feels unlikely, since he was taken in the egg. I'd guess it's just a matter of "it's A Silly Name, and We Will Not Acknowledge it."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on August 09, 2017, 01:46:06 AM
That feels unlikely, since he was taken in the egg. I'd guess it's just a matter of "it's A Silly Name, and We Will Not Acknowledge it."

As a child, at least.  Since dragons can interbreed with mammals, I'd assume they give live birth as well.

The One Guy

Quote from: Tuyu on August 09, 2017, 01:46:06 AM

In addition to what Tapewolf said, we see Pyroduce being given to Fa'Lina here.  He's clearly not in an egg, so unless Dimanika hatched him, he wasn't captured in an egg either.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm just waiting for Alexsi to show up and banhammer the troublemaker for breaking her inn.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prroul

You know, I find it a little concerning that Pyroduck is complaining about therapy bills. Right now, his father's minion is akin to a little yip dog growling and shaking its head with your pant leg in its mouth, thinking it is viciously attacking you. Annoying, but not traumatic enough to warrant therapy.

Which means that he's at least seriously contemplating breaking with his pacifistic ways... and we may see Pyro do something me may later regret. His father is pushing him into 'taking a level of badass'. Hizel may find himself also regretting that decision...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Prroul on August 10, 2017, 11:14:48 PM
You know, I find it a little concerning that Pyroduck is complaining about therapy bills. Right now, his father's minion is akin to a little yip dog growling and shaking its head with your pant leg in its mouth, thinking it is viciously attacking you. Annoying, but not traumatic enough to warrant therapy.

Which means that he's at least seriously contemplating breaking with his pacifistic ways... and we may see Pyro do something me may later regret. His father is pushing him into 'taking a level of badass'. Hizel may find himself also regretting that decision...

No, he's looking forward to having to explain to Alexsi why the inn is damaged every other day. And coming up with new and interesting ways to spike the wheels of the minions that keep coming to annoy him. So to speak.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears