2017-07-14 [DMFA #1769] The virtue of humility

Started by Tapewolf, July 14, 2017, 08:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This may actually count as humility going by the logic used in the Ultima games - knowing you are the best is fine, bragging about it is when the game would start to get uppity.

Here is the Soulstealer family tree:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1621.php
...we now know that Malle Darkblood still seems to be alive.  It would be interesting to know if the same goes for Kria's parents and the uncle in the middle.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kuzma Volkov

Now I'm seeing Aliph as DBZ: Abridged's Perfect Cell...

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6WT3n3wSI )
♪A is for  Alpha, for you will all bow.♪
♪ L is for Lordship, encase you couldn't tell.♪
♪I is for infamous, because is there any better kind of famous?♪
♪P is for Perfect, just look at this mohawk.♪
♪H is for Humble, Cause I never brag.♪
"My name is Aliph, and I'd like to say...hello"

Prroul

You know, you have to give props to Aliph. He may be a villain, but he's at least a highly intelligent and competent one. And self-confident enough that he does not need to rely on petty ego stroking like taking credit for other people's works and boasting of your own ability. Makes it harder for the good guy to catch you monologuing.

I don't know about humility, but it certainly has practicality. Why bother trying to convince others with words when you can demonstrate your inherent superiority with deeds?

Nightmask

Quote from: Prroul on July 14, 2017, 10:15:04 PM
You know, you have to give props to Aliph. He may be a villain, but he's at least a highly intelligent and competent one. And self-confident enough that he does not need to rely on petty ego stroking like taking credit for other people's works and boasting of your own ability. Makes it harder for the good guy to catch you monologuing.

I don't know about humility, but it certainly has practicality. Why bother trying to convince others with words when you can demonstrate your inherent superiority with deeds?

He's clearly read at least some of the Evil Overlord's list, plus as we saw in the backstory for Dan's first meeting with him he used monologueing to get his opponents off guard so he could unleash that undead-killing attack in the middle of it while everyone was listening and waiting for him to fnish.  So while he's evil he's not complete without some virtues.

keybounce

Looking over the family tree, I noticed that males and females are about equal in passing the name on. How is it determined whose name is used?

Titanium Dragon

Quote from: keybounce on July 14, 2017, 10:32:17 PM
Looking over the family tree, I noticed that males and females are about equal in passing the name on. How is it determined whose name is used?

What are you talking about? The male name is always taken.

I think you're getting confused because male and female aren't always shown on the same side.

Kirishala

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on July 14, 2017, 11:18:47 PM

I think you're getting confused because male and female aren't always shown on the same side.
Except in the case of Lorenda, but Kria having eaten her father for infidelity may well be the cause of that

Dorje Sylas

I finally had to register after all this time, because this exchange was too good not comment on.

Those aren't just burns, they aren't just wicked, they are casual lob vaporization.

The One Guy

Interesting that they're speaking as though Malle was the only one raising her; did something happen to Cori, or was she just negligent of her children?

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Anyone else notice he said Cyra instead of Kria? Dunno if that's a typo or not. But, makes me think things if it's not....
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kirrin_Shadowclaw on July 16, 2017, 05:05:15 AM
Anyone else notice he said Cyra instead of Kria? Dunno if that's a typo or not. But, makes me think things if it's not....

There is a typo, but that was in the thread title.  We seem to be offset by one.  I've fixed it for this thread but I'm not sure I can be bothered to renumber the other ones.

In page 1768, he does indeed say 'Cyra'.  Kria is asking what the purpose of Destania's trap is, and the answer is "Cyra.  .... I suspect this is Hizell's plan to draw the clan out to end it once and for all."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

keybounce

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on July 14, 2017, 11:18:47 PM

Ahh; thank you. Other than Miss Soulstealer, yes, it is always the male name.

Still, if she had no husband left to challenge that ...

e_voyager

I love how he States it so ccasually, it is a fact and we all know that it is a fact. This sibling banter is got to be one of my favorite parts of the current Ark
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Cassi-kun

Given Malle's apparent incompetence and Regina killing Wildy's mom & idealizing violence, it may have been Malle's fault - at least partially - for the incident that got Regina put into the Soulstealers' custody. Even if only for failing to prevent it.

As for who is or isn't alive anymore, if we assume the Demon lifespan to be 1000 years and take into account that Kria is likely only twenty to thirty years older than Abel, Kria is therefore only around 430 which means depending on her parents' age when she was born they - and possibly that entire generation of the family - could very well still be alive. But, it's also possible that they all got themselves adventurer'd to death.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Cassi-kun

...waitaminute...

Malle was (supposed to be) put into a leadership position in Zinvth. With Aliph presumably not in any authority in Zinvth, and Kria heading security specifically... Malle is very likely a high-ranking personality unless someone from the previous generation is still alive and in authority.

Edit: though, he could also have been displaced by a member of the Mythos family who helped found the city.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Prroul

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 17, 2017, 12:39:26 PM
...waitaminute...

Malle was (supposed to be) put into a leadership position in Zinvth. With Aliph presumably not in any authority in Zinvth, and Kria heading security specifically... Malle is very likely a high-ranking personality unless someone from the previous generation is still alive and in authority.

Edit: though, he could also have been displaced by a member of the Mythos family who helped found the city.
The fact that he is likely a high-ranking personality does not necessarily indicate competence. Given our track record of politicians over the past few decades, if anything, I'd say the opposite is more likely.

Which would make Regina a 'spoiled brat', which makes a lot of sense when you consider her personality, her interests, and her responses. Heck, I bet the whole incident that put her on the Ferret's Most Wanted list was something like a Yandere-ish 'now do you love me' thing or perhaps simply a 'will no one rid me of this damn priest' scenario.

Hodgelett

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 17, 2017, 12:03:47 PM
Given Malle's apparent incompetence and Regina killing Wildy's mom & idealizing violence, it may have been Malle's fault - at least partially - for the incident that got Regina put into the Soulstealers' custody. Even if only for failing to prevent it.

As for who is or isn't alive anymore, if we assume the Demon lifespan to be 1000 years and take into account that Kria is likely only twenty to thirty years older than Abel, Kria is therefore only around 430 which means depending on her parents' age when she was born they - and possibly that entire generation of the family - could very well still be alive. But, it's also possible that they all got themselves adventurer'd to death.

Kria's cast page says 418 (to Abel's 399 at the start of the comic). DP is 760, Devin said DP's plans, aka Malle's choice as heir presumptive, all started 500 years ago, so he was 260 when he started and 342 when Kria was born, so you can see why he saw her as a pesky kid when she came pestering his experiments!
Kria would only have been around 35 during the attack that killed Devin.

On a tangent:
Considering Abel grew up in a demon city it seems odd that his education wasn't longer, if your typical lifespan is hundreds of years, an extended childhood makes sense, such as in SAIA, whereas the beings, especially with the prevalence of adventuring as a career, perhaps typically become an adult at 16? Unless, seen as a being in a demon school his education is fast-tracked?

The One Guy

Quote from: Hodgelett on July 19, 2017, 08:11:56 PM
On a tangent:
Considering Abel grew up in a demon city it seems odd that his education wasn't longer, if your typical lifespan is hundreds of years, an extended childhood makes sense, such as in SAIA, whereas the beings, especially with the prevalence of adventuring as a career, perhaps typically become an adult at 16? Unless, seen as a despite being in a demon school his education is fast-tracked?
From what we've seen creatures don't seem to longer childhoods despite their longer lifespans; they just seem to develop at the same rate as beings up until adulthood, where they just ... stay that way for a very long time.  As such, I would guess their schooling probably lasts about the same span of time as for beings.

Hodgelett

Cubi traits kick in around 25 we've seen, so that's the only true 'child' form, we've seen Aarynna with the teddy-cubi-bear.

But childhood is an artificial construct itself, some human societies had 9 or 10 being old enough to be a warrior...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Hodgelett on July 28, 2017, 08:18:44 AM
But childhood is an artificial construct itself, some human societies had 9 or 10 being old enough to be a warrior...

Have, sadly. Somalia, various South African warfares, etc... forcing children into being warriors is nothing new, but their ability to kill with a gun is. :-(
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tuyu

Quote from: Hodgelett on July 28, 2017, 08:18:44 AM
Cubi traits kick in around 25 we've seen, so that's the only true 'child' form, we've seen Aarynna with the teddy-cubi-bear.
It was also said that it's somewhat tied to the development of magic ability. Potentially, they could emerge earlier in someone who was concentrating on a magical career.