2017-07-07 [DMFA #1766] - The courage to call

Started by Tapewolf, July 07, 2017, 05:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Oh dear.  I would not be at all surprised if Hizell had been scrying the meeting with his diplomat.
And given that Dark Pegasus knows that Dan is actually Daniel Cyra - which Hizell should not know - this could get very bad indeed.

However, it is notable that Abel could sense when they were being scryed on - even if he didn't realise what it meant.  As a security chief for the entire city, Kria might be a lot more keyed up on such things, unless Abel's ability was some kind of 'Cubi trait which she does not have.

And... death cult for Hizell.   That's interesting.  Could mean he's got the same kind of soul-harvesting program going on as M'Chek had.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

You'd think that someone as powerful and (presumably) intelligent as Hizell would recognise a self fulfilling prophecy when he sees one.

A cubi kills a powerful dragon, dragons kills lots of cubi in response, surviving cubi would want or not actively prevent revenge against the dragons and one in particular has a strong reason to strike back. Add to that that Hizell seems keen to draw previously unaligned creatures into conflict against him and it seems he is organising his own demise.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alondro

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 07, 2017, 07:46:36 AM
You'd think that someone as powerful and (presumably) intelligent as Hizell would recognise a self fulfilling prophecy when he sees one.

A cubi kills a powerful dragon, dragons kills lots of cubi in response, surviving cubi would want or not actively prevent revenge against the dragons and one in particular has a strong reason to strike back. Add to that that Hizell seems keen to draw previously unaligned creatures into conflict against him and it seems he is organising his own demise.

Supervillains tend to do that.  Like Freeza getting Vegeta to join with the Z Squad. 

They always think they're unstoppable and omniscient Xanatos Speedchess masters... but they do not know that only really bad fanfic writers who make them their OC self-insert wish-fulfillment crap would actually let them win with such ludicrous and implausible advantages. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 07, 2017, 07:46:36 AM

Keep in mind that, with regards to finishing off any Cubi, Hizell has had a thousand-some years to get his ducks in a row. Notice also that it's only now that anti-Cubi sentiment is starting to really rise: Even though it was surely present before, it's beginning to rise again. Lastly, keep in mind that, while Zinvth is the largest creature-populated city-state, it is certainly not the only one, to say nothing of the creatures out there who are uninterested in Zinvth: In the grand scheme of things, Zinvth is small potatoes.

If Hizell should draw the entire able-bodied population of Zinvth into conflict with him — and so far, all evidence indicates that he is not attempting to do this — it isn't going to be just him against all of them: He has his own loyal cult of followers of heretofore unknown magical ability, plus potentially (if unlikely) some kind of superweapon that we haven't seen yet. I hate to say it, but it looks like Hizell knows exactly what he's doing.

Drakkenmensch

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 07, 2017, 05:36:12 AM
Oh dear.  I would not be at all surprised if Hizell had been scrying the meeting with his diplomat.
And given that Dark Pegasus knows that Dan is actually Daniel Cyra - which Hizell should not know - this could get very bad indeed.
I would be surprised if there were no defenses against scrying. Maybe expensive ones, so not something you'd put on an entire house, but something that could be put on a bedroom, bathroom, or meeting room. Otherwise, what would stop the journalists, before you even start considering nefarious villains.

The One Guy

Quote from: Tuyu on July 08, 2017, 01:45:21 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 07, 2017, 05:36:12 AM
I would be surprised if there were no defenses against scrying. Maybe expensive ones, so not something you'd put on an entire house, but something that could be put on a bedroom, bathroom, or meeting room. Otherwise, what would stop the journalists, before you even start considering nefarious villains.
It's also possible that you're safe from journalists simply because scrying is particularly difficult and not many can do it.  That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't defenses against scrying too, though.

Prroul

Honestly, DP sounds like a bad guy to go for this topic. He's guaranteed to not work for Hizell, sure, but on the other hand he doesn't exactly have his finger to the pulse of diplomacy either. I very much doubt he would know much of anything on this topic.

Now, if she had called Biggs... that might get a bit more... interesting. Biggs would flat assume it is for Dee unless compelling evidence proves otherwise.

Alternately, it's not a trap at all. It's a troll. Hizell doesn't want to do Dee's dirty work, and so did this strictly to piss her off and show her what happens when she tries to play him like a pawn. And also to see how many of his enemies will flat out assume it is a trap, and so react as thought it were a trap, expending resources completely unnecessarily and raising stress levels for no reason whatsoever.

I could almost see him send Dee a return message to the tune of 'U MAD BRO?'

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on July 08, 2017, 01:45:21 AM

I'd expect scrying to be fairly difficult.  But yes, Cyra seems to be able to block it, so defences are possible.  Whether Kria and Dark Peg know a simple way to do that, I have no idea.  For the most part, DP's enemies are lower races though he does seem to have a problem with dragons as well.  That could make life interesting, since it may lead to him working with Dan for the greater good.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E