2016/11/21 [DMFA #1712] - It had to come up eventually

Started by Tapewolf, November 21, 2016, 09:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somebodyelse

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 23, 2016, 10:28:19 PMAhem back on topic, I actually don't see any problem with Dan dating a Taun clan member.  In fact,  adventurers are well known to be quite the romantics.

I do, her name's Matilda. It's kinda the reason Dan turned down the bikini-clad volleyball trio.

Though, I could totally see pre-Matilda Dan going for Illiath. I remember him asking around for canine amazons back in the day and Illiath matches like 66% of that: Canine, warrioress, scantily-clad tribal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 23, 2016, 10:28:19 PM
That's true. Heck I've been debating on whether I should create a cubi character, but I don't know what the rules are in creating one if there any rules.  I'm really jealous of y'all!  :mowsad

Here's some hints on doing it well:

1. Bright colours.  I could see enough counter-examples on both sides to think 'Huh, there are no rules for colours' and promptly made Jakob grey because I'm useless at designing colour schemes.  'Cubi do tend to have bright colours, even if it's only in their wings (Dan) or eyes.  If you read PF you may have noticed that our newer characters tend to have more unnatural colours, but only after years of heckling from Amber.  (That said, plain colours should be a survival trait in a world which doesn't like 'Cubi)

2. Either create a new minor clan, or add to a clan which has a large number of people in it already so you can get lost in the noise.  Making your character the third surviving Cyra Clan member is going to go downhill fast.

3. Try and make their personality at least somehow reflective of their affinity.  Jakob's were originally 'fear and wonder' but this was later retconned to 'fear and lust' because that was a lot closer to how the clan members - especially Daryil - were behaving in-comic.  The 'wonder' thing was only ever used once, it was too hard an emotion to work with.

4. If you write stories, try and avoid including canon members of the cast.

Ahem back on topic, I actually don't see any problem with Dan dating a Taun clan member.
Yeah, I think the main problem is Dan - he was brought up in a monogamous culture.  Matilda wasn't, so she might be quite understanding about him also looking elsewhere - especially if he explains that it's necessary for the survival of his clan.  Doing it behind her back would probably be fatal, though.

QuoteIn fact,  adventurers are well known to be quite the romantics.
Hence my wondering whether Dan already owes someone child support but just doesn't know it.  The answer might be in the plague of babies arc but I don't have time to check.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 24, 2016, 04:35:45 AM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 23, 2016, 10:28:19 PM
That's true. Heck I've been debating on whether I should create a cubi character, but I don't know what the rules are in creating one if there any rules.  I'm really jealous of y'all!  :mowsad
Either create a new minor clan, or add to a clan which has a large number of people in it already so you can get lost in the noise.  Making your character the third surviving Cyra Clan member is going to go downhill fast.
Past/future characters and conversion can be used to wiggle around current clan sizes as well, if you're more interested in creating characters than utilizing them. I've got some Jin and Piflak Cubi in my ranks, and a living ex-Siar (though I do tend to consider my characters and plotlines "slightly sideways" to the comic itself).

Oh, and don't be afraid to give them Quoar-like traits, just try not to make it too common if you have a larger stable of characters. I've had to forbid myself from it and I still have a couple more on the way anyway XD
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

PalmettoPaladin

Sweet!  Thank y'all very much for the advice and suggestions.

I thought about the character and she's a Taun clan member and an adventurer.  Now to make her unique she has rare defect that affects mainly cubi although Angels and demons can get it too, but it's mainly cubis: she can't eat souls.  Although she can't eat souls she can take a person's soul out of their body and release it.  She mainly uses this ability to give mercy killings or when she has to execute someone.  She actually thinks beheading is inhumane and just downright wrong. 

Now since I think that Taun female clan members would rather dewing themselves than wear boob armor I would need something else to show hey this character is female.  Thankfully we have skirts:

In terms of Quoar traits she actually has that and other unique features: she actually has four back wings!  This is another rare birth defect.  While it does give her more tentacle wings it also causes her to strain her body.  This is just an idea.  Still tinkering with it.  She does have two normal wings, except one is a feathered wing and the other is a bat wing. The same for her head wings except they're reverse. 

I can see Dan asking her if she is a tri wing and her saying no that she just has a birth defect.  She's also a sword and shield fighter. And she has a better story than Dan's about defeating several death knights with a spork: she beat several death knights by bashing them upside the head with a shield!

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 24, 2016, 11:21:25 PM
Sweet!  Thank y'all very much for the advice and suggestions.
I thought about the character and she's a Taun clan member and an adventurer.  Now to make her unique she has rare defect that affects mainly cubi although Angels and demons can get it too, but it's mainly cubis: she can't eat souls.  Although she can't eat souls she can take a person's soul out of their body and release it.  She mainly uses this ability to give mercy killings or when she has to execute someone.  She actually thinks beheading is inhumane and just downright wrong.

If it were me I'd have made someone a bit more pedestrian as a first try.  (Jakob's red shirt was originally to identify him because he was so plain)  It's perhaps worth keeping in mind that Creatures as a whole aren't too popular so anyone born with more than one pair of wings is likely to be in trouble, and I can imagine the Dragons would swoop down on them instantly 'just in case'.

Soul stealing is accomplished via a set of spells that the Angel race invented - it's not a 'Cubi trait, so if someone objects to it on ethical grounds, they don't have to learn how to do it.

Regards killing people, keep in mind that the whole adventuring thing is effectively a framework for bounty hunters to perform non-judicial executions.  If you can convince a Creature to leave without killing them, that's a bonus, but I would assume that most of the time it ends in casualties.
Beheading crops up a lot in PF partly because Amber commented on the page where Dorcan dies, that hanging isn't going to work well for Creatures.  However, decapitation is referenced, implied (and sometimes even depicted) quite regularly throughout the DMFA comics.  Hence I have ass-u-me'd that it is the de-facto method of killing people in Furrae.  It is possible that this is a distortion, since if you're collecting a bounty on someone, bringing back the head is easier than lugging the entire corpse home.  Even so, if someone is missing a head, it's a fairly safe bet that they're now dead (or at least undead), regardless of race.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

I am all aboard the excess-wing train, but I like to make my characters suffer, haha. I do wonder how multi-winged species would work, in the sense of being "functional" wings. I get the sense of headwings and hipwings being mostly superfluous.

Amber Williams

Generally speaking, my rule of thumb when it comes to folks making characters is to have fun first and foremost and not worry too much about how close to the continuity and real edge things are because chances are it doesn't matter if you make a complete powerhouse or an average everybody since it only really effects your own fanstuff and not the actual continuity.  Folks tromping around with fan-made clan leaders and super powered characters who happen to be one of Fa'Linas lost children or something or other in their works and fics don't really change the comic itself...so I have no real reason to tell anyone how to have fun in their own playgrounds.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It may just be my snark coming up, but I feel Dan should have responded "I don't think I'm up to your size."

On second thoughts, that's definitely snark. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 26, 2016, 05:45:56 PM
Generally speaking, my rule of thumb when it comes to folks making characters is to have fun first and foremost and not worry too much about how close to the continuity and real edge things are because chances are it doesn't matter if you make a complete powerhouse or an average everybody since it only really effects your own fanstuff and not the actual continuity.  Folks tromping around with fan-made clan leaders and super powered characters who happen to be one of Fa'Linas lost children or something or other in their works and fics don't really change the comic itself...so I have no real reason to tell anyone how to have fun in their own playgrounds.

Ah neat!  The creator of DMFA has spoken! 

Ahem, but seriously the reasoning for my respect and concern for continuity is that i have a high amount of respect for Amber and all the hard work she has done in making this comic.  If I ever do a fanfic series based off of DMFA I want to make sure I get my research right and try to stay as close to what happens in canon as much as possible.  For example I almost made my Taun character's father be from the Nact'Larn clan until I double checked my research and discovered that the clan is actually made up of succubi only!  Luckily I had a backup plan and have her dad be from the Seme clan.

Btw my Taun female character is a cubi paladin!  Yeah you heard me!  A cubi paladin. I figure that since Pathfinder and D&D (post 2nd edition) allow any race to be a paladin, I think that would carry over to Furrae since I've noticed a lot of D&D references in it (yeah Amber I saw that reference to 4th Edition D&D!).

Also and Tapewolf don't worry I don't plan on putting any Taun members in boob armors.  I actually noticed that pretty much every armored female character in Pathfinder has boob armor.  Thankfully D&D tries to avoid it as much as possible unless you're dealing with the drow (aka dark elves), since let's face it: dark elves are meant to be seductive.

Now that I'm mentioned drow, who would win in a fight between all of the living cubi leaders and Lolth the dark elven spider goddess?

Dishonored

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 27, 2016, 10:56:21 PM
Now that I'm mentioned drow, who would win in a fight between all of the living cubi leaders and Lolth the dark elven spider goddess?

Amber.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Dishonored on November 28, 2016, 12:00:52 AM

Amber.

Wait....Amber isn't a cubi clan leader...right?

Dishonored

"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 28, 2016, 03:41:21 PM

Amber.

Wait....Amber isn't a cubi clan leader...right?
Amber is the head of Clan Tacos-are-delicious.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber.

Nice. Have some applauds. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored