2016/10/03 [DMFA 1700] Playing them against each other

Started by Tapewolf, October 03, 2016, 07:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I'm a little surprised Jyrras didn't kick up more about Abel going.  Fun isn't exactly his middle name, so it's clearly bogus.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Hurrah, for 1,700 pages! *plays a fanfare on a kazoo*

Gotta love the references to the much earlier comics. Just as a nod and permanent reminder that, yes, a good lot of things from back then are still things that definitely happened.
...By Puyon

Cassi-kun

It's possible Jy was too distracted at the idea of Abel going that he didn't consider the plausibility of it. Plus being distracted by his actual work and trying to get Wildy to leave.

Also... how do y'all pronounce Wildy's name? Is it will-dee or wile-dee? I've been going with will-dee but sometimes I'm not sure.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Puyon

Quote from: Cassi-kun on October 03, 2016, 01:37:55 PM
Also... how do y'all pronounce Wildy's name? Is it will-dee or wile-dee? I've been going with will-dee but sometimes I'm not sure.

I've been pronouncing it 'WILL-dee' kinda like 'wildabeast' if only because it feels more natural, but I've heard it as 'Wile-dee'. ...to be fair, I'm sure I've been pronouncing a bunch of things wrong. Jyrras I pronounce as 'JEE-rahs' but I've heard 'JAI-rass'. Or 'Cubi which I pronounce as 'KYUU-bee' but I've heard 'KYUU-bai'.

I think the most embarrassing mispronunciation is that I've been pronouncing Daryil as 'DAHR-yil' when I'm fairly certain I actually heard Tape pronounce it as 'Daryl' like the actual normal name Daryl....the 'i' between the 'y' and the 'l' threw me off since 'y' usually acts as a consonant when it's in front of a vowel??? 

I mean, these mistakes would be 1000% more embarrassing if I was actually there at the AC tea party and verbally making these mispronunciations in front of everyone and the first impression I'd be making on everyone is 'man, this kid can't read'.
...By Puyon

Jasonrevall

By the shifting of my hairs, something wicked this way fairs.

I hope there will be some adorable Jybel interactions coming up. I can see that Wildy is still attempting to ship it. Hopefully it won't end in disastrous results. Some light hearted fun is sorely needed by those two right now.

Also Abel has been seen going into public places. Jy-jy may doubt in his mind but hope in his heart that Wildy isn't bluffing so he decided to go.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

ZacAttac21

I'm starting to bet that Jy and Wildy are going to wind up getting dragged along with Abel to Piflak's party.

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2016, 07:59:08 AM
I'm a little surprised Jyrras didn't kick up more about Abel going.  Fun isn't exactly his middle name, so it's clearly bogus.

C'mon, that face in the last panel is clearly that of someone who loves fun

KathYohneke

I think that spider deserves a nice juicy bug to nibble on for that comedic timing alone :D

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Puyon on October 03, 2016, 02:03:04 PMJyrras I pronounce as 'JEE-rahs' but I've heard 'JAI-rass'. Or 'Cubi which I pronounce as 'KYUU-bee' but I've heard 'KYUU-bai'.

I think the most embarrassing mispronunciation is that I've been pronouncing Daryil as 'DAHR-yil' when I'm fairly certain I actually heard Tape pronounce it as 'Daryl' like the actual normal name Daryl....the 'i' between the 'y' and the 'l' threw me off since 'y' usually acts as a consonant when it's in front of a vowel??? 
Jyrras I pronounce jeer-iss, though when it's Jy or JyJy I pronounce it jai. I pronounce incubi and succubi as bai but cubi as bee.

Daryil and Niall both throw me off! I've been pronouncing the y in Daryil as well, and I keep wanting to rhyme Niall with y'all.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on October 03, 2016, 08:12:08 PM

Dah-rill. The only time he's ever been called Darl/Daryl was by the rabbit Fendrick kept threatening to shoot, who was very confused at the time.
I've recorded at least three songs mentioning Daryil by name and people still get it wrong...

QuoteDaryil and Niall both throw me off! I've been pronouncing the y in Daryil as well, and I keep wanting to rhyme Niall with y'all.

Well, Niall was a bit of a blunder in the first place because there is actually a real name spelled that way and AFAIK it's pronounced "Neil".  I didn't know this at the time, so Niall in my comic is pronounced Nye-all.  Niall has only one song, I think.

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2016, 08:31:36 PM
Dah-rill. The only time he's ever been called Darl/Daryl was by the rabbit Fendrick kept threatening to shoot, who was very confused at the time.
I've recorded at least three songs mentioning Daryil by name and people still get it wrong...

Okay, are you trying to tell me that the name 'Daryl' isn't pronounced 'Dah-rill'.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on October 03, 2016, 08:40:39 PM
Okay, are you trying to tell me that the name 'Daryl' isn't pronounced 'Dah-rill'.

As far as I'm aware, it is not.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2016, 08:31:36 PMI've recorded at least three songs mentioning Daryil by name and people still get it wrong...

Niall has only one song, I think.
I need to listen to your music one of these days, methinks.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
Quote from: Puyon on October 03, 2016, 08:40:39 PM

As far as I'm aware, it is not.

To amend my previous statement, there appears to be a wide range of pronunciations, probably regional and national variations.  Some seem to pronounce it as an extended Darl, e.g. Darrrl.  I've heard people at AC call Daryil that.  Others seem to parse Daryl as Dar-Ull, Darrell etc.  With Daryil, Dar-rill is actually a closer match to how I pronounce it myself.

Quote from: Cassi-kun on October 03, 2016, 10:09:53 PM
I need to listen to your music one of these days, methinks.

It tends to be fairly long and ornate which is not to all tastes.  I'd be tempted to suggest "...and Daryil Answered" as a starting point, partly because it's apropos to the conversation, but also because it's quite well-liked and one of my favourites.  Reminds me, it's about time I put that album up on Bandcamp.
There is a streamed version of it here:  https://www.jamendo.com/album/65407/and-daryil-answered-or-hippy-music-vol-6-songs-of-lies-an

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 04, 2016, 04:17:42 AM
To amend my previous statement, there appears to be a wide range of pronunciations, probably regional and national variations.  Some seem to pronounce it as an extended Darl, e.g. Darrrl.  I've heard people at AC call Daryil that.  Others seem to parse Daryl as Dar-Ull, Darrell etc.  With Daryil, Dar-rill is actually a closer match to how I pronounce it myself.

In Australia, it seems to be mostly Dar-rill. But you know, with the accent, so I guess more like Dah-rill. Or Dazza.

Delian Williams

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.