2015/10/19 - [DMFA #1613] But it came with a free T-Shirt

Started by justacritic, October 20, 2015, 06:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

So... is it very likely that Fae boons end up being the end all and be all of the 'be careful what you wish for' phenomenon?

Though in any case, that Fa'lina wished for the academy instead of a resurrection of her clan. I wonder what her reasoning was

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on October 20, 2015, 06:14:26 PM
So... is it very likely that Fae boons end up being the end all and be all of the 'be careful what you wish for' phenomenon?
Though in any case, that Fa'lina wished for the academy instead of a resurrection of her clan. I wonder what her reasoning was

It's likely she wasn't entirely sane since losing her entire clan would have unhinged her.  Even so, without a dragon-proof shelter the chances are pretty good that had she had her clan resurrected, Hizell would simply have re-killed them all, and I don't think you get more than one boon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Generally speaking, even being on friendly terms its usually best not to bust out the legalese fine print wish contracts when dealing with the Fae.  The Fae are generally big fans of the boons where the wish-asker is asking "help me help myself" and simply wants the means to do the thing they wish to do rather than have the Fae do it all for them.

MT Hazard

I see it is that Fa'lina had a choice, help her clan or help all cubi clans. This would a painful and difficult decision to make, but I imagine she would do it again if she had to.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Hodgelett

Just to check, this is the chronology, correct?

1. Cyra ascends, starting the Dragon-Cubi war.
2. Cyra entrusts Destania to Falina.
3. Falina hides Destania extremely well, better than her own children.
4. Hizell destroys the children of Hope.
5? End of the War, although skirmishes remain.
6? Falina receives Pyroduck, as well as a boon from her new/old friend & founds SAIA.
6b? Destania moves from her other hiding place into SAIA.

Amber Williams

Lego3400

Given Falina's statement that she and Mab are Old/New freinds from a diffrent time, she's likely the one who gave Fa'Lina the boon and the Academy...

Reeves_Dove

Now I'm wondering if you could make a wish that would benefit someone else. If you could, it'd be possible (if still very improbable) for Fa'lina to have her clan reborn.
Pretty unlikely, though, considering that the only on-screen example we have so far of someone making a wish is Jyras, and he just blurted out a wish, with no indication that he knew Mab could actually grant it - which would tend to suggest that none of Mab's friends know about the wish-granting thing.

And if I were a Fae who could grant wishes to my friends, I'd certainly want to avoid letting people know that they could get one free wish (and the keyphrase needed to trigger that) by being my friend; reduces the chances that there'll be people trying to be my friend in order to get pre-planned wishes granted.