2015/06/29 [DMFA #1585] Not So Invincible

Started by ZacAttac21, June 29, 2015, 04:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

I'm trying to think of something to say about the whole Cyra thing, but all I can think of is how good Fa'Lina's hair looks. :B

MT Hazard

So the whole war was a knee jerk reaction to an elite dragon being killed by something they considered beneath them. A bit like animal culls it would seem, they want to kill anything that even looks like it could cause problems.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Is...

.. is Falina putting that flower back -together-??
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Delian Williams

It's interesting, how Fa'Lina is so sure of the true motivation of the dragon warlords, that their enemy's
fears should be so well known... I wonder, whether it was passed down by a knowing ally or if someone
read the thoughts of a dragon, who didn't bother to hide them, and got away with it.

7 panels into explanations and still awake - way to go, Dan!

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

HaDDea

Quote from: Delian Williams on June 29, 2015, 11:08:56 AM
It's interesting, how Fa'Lina is so sure of the true motivation of the dragon warlords, that their enemy's
fears should be so well known... I wonder, whether it was passed down by a knowing ally or if someone
read the thoughts of a dragon, who didn't bother to hide them, and got away with it.

7 panels into explanations and still awake - way to go, Dan!

I suspect that Fa'lina might know about this on account of her former friendship with Hizell - as a triwing, Fa'lina has a pretty respectable amount of power, and would likely be of note to the dragons for that.

So... how does Destania enter into all this? and Hizell should watch out - Destania may be crazy, but she and Biggs have managed to take down one of the most secretive triwings out there - they mean business.

ZacAttac21

So, wait... Is Fa'Lina saying that most dragons really aren't all that powerful?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: HaDDea on June 29, 2015, 12:29:30 PM
So... how does Destania enter into all this? and Hizell should watch out - Destania may be crazy, but she and Biggs have managed to take down one of the most secretive triwings out there - they mean business.

The problem with that is, we really don't know if Biggs and Destania took down the triwing, or merely reported on someone else taking them down, or what. We can speculate, but...

... and Destania has Cyra protecting her. If Dan decides to provide Cyra with some other family, she may withdraw that protection somewhat. It's all a bit fraught, really.

HaDDea

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 29, 2015, 05:35:50 PM
Quote from: HaDDea on June 29, 2015, 12:29:30 PM

The problem with that is, we really don't know if Biggs and Destania took down the triwing, or merely reported on someone else taking them down, or what. We can speculate, but...

... and Destania has Cyra protecting her. If Dan decides to provide Cyra with some other family, she may withdraw that protection somewhat. It's all a bit fraught, really.

I was thinking more in terms of what happened to the soul energy of Owona... Seeing as Destania has likely used soul magic to extend her life, I imagine she is not above using it to collect another's, and a triwing's soul would be a considerable amount of magical power. I suspect that the successful attempt on Owona's life means that either a technique used to bypass magical protections was successful (Owona was terribly secretive), or that the collection of Owona's soul was successful, or even both.

I don't know if Cyra would remove the protection on Destania if Dan has offspring... she still wants her clan built up in any way she can (and D just had Dan ~30 years ago, so she's likely still viable). It would not entirely surprise me if she intends to have another child just prior to the execution of the final phase of the plan as an additional clan failsafe.

Delian Williams

Quote from: HaDDea on June 29, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
It would not entirely surprise me if she intends to have another child just prior to the execution of the final phase
of the plan as an additional clan failsafe.

It's an interesting question, how important procreation is for Destania's plans. As a female she naturally cannot do
what Aniz had in mind (and some other Incubi as well according to Fa'Lina's statements in her face-off with Aniz).

I got the terrible feeling that much of Destania's behavior is just the reflection of her hatred and opposition to Aniz.
She wants to be strong and professional, where he was foolish and weak. She wants to kill Abel, whom Aniz saw
as an investment in the future. And somewhere down that road she wants to prove she is capable of being a
loving parent, where Aniz had nothing to offer but the despair and self-loathing, she sensed in Abel.

If that is the case, what will happen, when Dan finally takes a stand for his friends, for Abel, for Alexsi and Pyroduck?
Will Destania's love for Dan hold true, when its fundament of hatred crumbles?

This comment is rated S for speculation.
And now to something completely different: Look, a cute bunny!  :bunny

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

Tuyu

Quote from: Delian Williams on June 30, 2015, 10:36:09 PM
If that is the case, what will happen, when Dan finally takes a stand for his friends, for Abel, for Alexsi and Pyroduck?
Will Destania's love for Dan hold true, when its fundament of hatred crumbles?
Someone's gonna die. And then someone else is gonna die.

This comment is rated S for speculation.
And now to something completely different: Look, a cute bunny!  :bunny

ANTIcarrot

So... The dragons (or at least a sizable faction of them) decided to exterminate an entire group of people they held in contempt, because one of them killed a powerful dragon.

If that was their actual motivation, then that's some grade A level evil there. I mean Godwin's Law does actually come with an Exception - this this is getting pretty damn close.

On the other hand... Wiping out an entire city to turn yourself into a physical god? Helloooooooooo mayor of Sunnydale.

I'm actually feeling some sympathy for Destina's goals here. I feel conflicted.
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Tapewolf

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on July 02, 2015, 09:04:07 AM
So... The dragons (or at least a sizable faction of them) decided to exterminate an entire group of people they held in contempt, because one of them killed a powerful dragon.

Deliberately or accidentally(*) they also wiped out the vampires.  I'm not sure if they are really responsible for the decline of the Angels or not, but I'd be a bit surprised if the long term goals didn't target the Demons after the 'Cubi are gone, and then possibly starting to cull the Beings off once the races capable of protecting them are out of the way.

(*)Plausible deniability often seems to be part of the Hizell group's modus operandi, e.g. the anti-wing fanatics who only go for 'Cubi

QuoteIf that was their actual motivation, then that's some grade A level evil there. I mean Godwin's Law does actually come with an Exception - this this is getting pretty damn close.
"First they came for the 'Cubi, and I didn't speak out because they're all soul-stealing monsters.
"Then they came for the vampires, and I didn't speak out because I'm not a vampire.
"Then they came for me, and there was no-one left to speak for me."
-With apologies to Pastor Niemoller

QuoteOn the other hand... Wiping out an entire city to turn yourself into a physical god? Helloooooooooo mayor of Sunnydale.
I'm actually feeling some sympathy for Destina's goals here. I feel conflicted.

Indeed.  Nasty as the wars have been, Destania's proposition isn't much better.  From the information we have I'm not sure I can feel any sympathy for Hizell, but wiping out the entire Dragon race in Furrae - including the ones who seem content to live peacefully - doesn't seem to be much different from what Hizell was doing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kibin

I suspect Cubi have the same power source as Dragons. Possibly inadvertently, possibly dragons created Cubi for some reason. Source of power sealed off from Cubi, no more clan leaders. Cyra inadvertently stumbles into finding out about this secret. Dragons attack to kill Cyra who knows of the secret, or at least force her into hiding.

Destania's plan may have something to do with this shared power source. This may or may not also hurt Cubi. Considering her mental state, she may not care about hurting other cubi as collateral damage, or even dying as a result.

Random theorizing, however!

Cassi-kun

I'm just excited at the idea that if Fa'Lina goes into the Dragon-Cubi war as a whole, not just Cyra and Destania's history, we may get to see some of her own back story as well. Though I'm on a huge Cubi kick lately so I'm pumped for this whole storyline regardless.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 03, 2015, 01:33:58 AM
I'm just excited at the idea that if Fa'Lina goes into the Dragon-Cubi war as a whole, not just Cyra and Destania's history, we may get to see some of her own back story as well. Though I'm on a huge Cubi kick lately so I'm pumped for this whole storyline regardless.

Yeah, that's something you probably don't want to see too much detail into.  As the followup page shows, it's nasty enough that it drove her insane for a while.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Delian Williams on June 30, 2015, 10:36:09 PM
It's an interesting question, how important procreation is for Destania's plans. As a female she naturally cannot do
what Aniz had in mind (and some other Incubi as well according to Fa'Lina's statements in her face-off with Aniz).

Why not? "Oh, dear, this child is an orphan"; no reason she can't spawn a whole bunch of little monsters (in more than one meaning of the term) and leave them with someone else to bring them up.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 03, 2015, 05:54:28 AM
Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 03, 2015, 01:33:58 AM

Yeah, that's something you probably don't want to see too much detail into.  As the followup page shows, it's nasty enough that it drove her insane for a while.
Crazy/violent is kinda cathartic for me (when it's fictional). Gives me somewhere to get my own crazy out at my leisure. I read Abel's story a couple times a month to de-stress :P
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Scow2

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 02, 2015, 09:42:33 AM
Indeed.  Nasty as the wars have been, Destania's proposition isn't much better.  From the information we have I'm not sure I can feel any sympathy for Hizell, but wiping out the entire Dragon race in Furrae - including the ones who seem content to live peacefully - doesn't seem to be much different from what Hizell was doing.
It's worse. Hizel was merely targeting the one who killed M'chek (Destroying her new clan, and friends), and extended that to everyone who protected the ones he was trying to destroy. Destania's trying to destroy All The Dragons, No Exceptions.