Team Fortress 2 Trailer

Started by Arcalane, September 10, 2006, 08:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

I'm not sure how many have actually seen this, but it's absolutely hilarious;

Team Fortress 2 Trailer

It's so cartoony it's awesome. Just go watch it now. ;)

bill

No medic footage as of yet, though.  :< I've heard that he's been changed drastically, so I hope it's good, or I'm switching to Engineer.

Arcalane

Quote from: BillBuckner on September 10, 2006, 08:54:32 PM
No medic footage as of yet, though.  :< I've heard that he's been changed drastically, so I hope it's good, or I'm switching to Engineer.

Only time will tell, I think.

The music is too damn catchy. D:

Paladin Sheppard

Arcalane

I also found this which has teasers for all the classes. :)

Jack McSlay

the cartoony approach sounds very nice, we have too much serious FPSes already, and I haven't seen a cartoony FPS since redneck rampage
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Arcalane

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 11, 2006, 02:50:02 PM
the cartoony approach sounds very nice, we have too much serious FPSes already, and I haven't seen a cartoony FPS since redneck rampage

Agreed. The video may not be proper game footage, but it's great how it's done, and I think it's one of those cartoony games that achieves just the effect it's supposed to.

Rowne

I want to play this so very much ...

I just read an article on it in PC Zone which detailed lots of things, from the differences in classes to some of the ideas they had for levels.  If anyone's really interested in reading that, I could drag my old scanner out of mothballs and scan it in.  I'm certainly not typing it all up but I could do that.

The differences between the classes is an interesting thing indeed and one particular mechanic I liked is that it sounds as though they're trying to make it as playable for casual people and die-hard gamers alike, there'll be essential classes which are easier to play but perhaps not as much fun for the die-hard CSer.  In other words, someone without the skill of a top-end player could contribute to the team and feel as though they're really helping without actually having Godlike aiming skills.  This could be a great thing.

Due to this particular approach, we might end up with more well-rounded teams and less of a 'Counterstrike mentality', which could only be a good thing.

The style also seems intriguing, apparently they're going with a sweeping 60's view of the future.  Think Evil Genius and you'll be on the right track.  The Engineers for example don't build sentries but merely initiate the building, the sentries are little clockwork men that proceed to construct themselves.

One mission has an industrial complex versus a farming commune, which is amusing enough on the surface but poking around the farm it's clear that all isn't as it appears, the Cows are cardboard cutouts and there are pieces of Star Trek (the original) technology that look distinctly out of place, beeping and blooping away.  The tech becomes more evident as the player progresses underground, where there's a secret supervillain stronghold, complete with missile silo, big villain chair and Jetson's-like computer consoles.

They're building plenty of character into the maps because apparently they want some of the maps to reflect different characters within the teams.  So one map might be a Pyro's map, the next might be a Spy's and so on.  This might be paving the way for single-player content but whether there's actually single-player content is still up in the air.

Also, there's even been talk of Quake-like mini-missions.  As the magazine stated, this is all a bit sacrosanct so you shouldn't count on anything but since it all made it to print ...

Regardless, the more I learn about Team Fortress II, the more excited I become.  It'd be interesting if it just had fun play mechanics like the original but this time, they're promoting funny in a Spy versus Spy characterized and stylized kind of way and that really can't be a bad thing, can it?