2015/04/20 [DMFA #1568] Twisted priorities

Started by MT Hazard, April 20, 2015, 06:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Abel: You were a jerk who may have hurt or killed creatures because of prejudice.
Devin: Cool!
Abel: You also may have been gay
Devin: Nooooo!

And thus Abel's long, long (long) delayed revenge is complete.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Arcblade

I'm having a hard time understanding why Devin is so unpleased about this revelation.  I guess maybe Furrae Being culture is semi-equivalent to real world culture, and some people still think being gay is a problem?  Except no one seemed to throw a fit about Jyrras or Xander, so hopefully not.  Or maybe it's just that it doesn't fit with his personal hopes for his past.  (That's such a weird statement.  Thanks for the opportunity, Amber.)

Howl

It'd probably hit kind of hard to be told otherwise of something you took for granted your entire life (or unlife, in this case). I doubt he actually swings any way being undead and all that, but it's got to be weird hearing something like that second hand.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Howl on April 20, 2015, 08:45:49 AM
It'd probably hit kind of hard to be told otherwise of something you took for granted your entire life (or unlife, in this case). I doubt he actually swings any way being undead and all that, but it's got to be weird hearing something like that second hand.

Well, I'm not sure all undead are necessarily aromantic and/or asexual... But if Devin is currently aroace, learning he was homosexual while he was alive could be distressing. He might feel it's undermining the validity of his current orientation.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Merlin

Dev seemed pretty deep in the closet when he was alive, maybe that's why he was so surprised.

Viking ZX

Well, remember that the question was raised since Devin was such a blank slate over whether or not he actually had the same soul or if he was a new one. Depending on your opinion of nature VS nurture for homosexuality (or, more importantly his) he may have just realized that "Wait, old me was gay, but I'm not gay, so maybe I'm not old me at all?"

Existential crisis!
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Viking ZX on April 21, 2015, 03:01:52 AM
Depending on your opinion of nature VS nurture for homosexuality (or, more importantly his) he may have just realized that "Wait, old me was gay, but I'm not gay, so maybe I'm not old me at all?"
Existential crisis!

That seems quite likely.
Furrae appears to have a relatively relaxed attitude to homosexuality, at least in the Zinvth/Lost Lake neck of the woods.  The discussions in the forest probably wouldn't have occurred if Xander was likely to be strung up, chopped up or otherwise persecuted (as has often been the case for most of the last millienium in our world).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcblade

Quote from: Viking ZX on April 21, 2015, 03:01:52 AM
Well, remember that the question was raised since Devin was such a blank slate over whether or not he actually had the same soul or if he was a new one. Depending on your opinion of nature VS nurture for homosexuality (or, more importantly his) he may have just realized that "Wait, old me was gay, but I'm not gay, so maybe I'm not old me at all?"

Existential crisis!

That makes so much more sense, thank you. 

I'm betting it's the same soul, honestly, just gone too long to remember anything.  Way too much of the same style of snark implicit in his character, both living and dead, in my opinion.  Undead Devin is less hurtful and unkind about his snark, but it's the same flavor, for lack of a better word.   It's a shame Devin didn't have a Zinvth soulstone when he was alive, or this question could have been answered very easily in canon. 

As for the issue of sexuality/romance preference: Maybe he just hasn't had to think about it too hard.  No biological urges driving him one way or the other, since he's undead.  Would put a lot less urgency on the question.  I've not had to do a lot of soul searching on the subject, so I can only speculate and leave the declarations of "this is how it is" to more experienced people. 

Tuyu

ISTR it being mentioned (maybe it wasn't DMFA) that the undead, or at least one undead, found the entire concept of the sex act between the living to be just too icky.

If Devin's like that, maybe it's a matter of "not only was I interested in sex, I was interested in unusual sex..."