Formula 1: The End of an Era (OT)

Started by bill, September 10, 2006, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

I fail to see the excitement of modern day races. so forgive me if im mildly apathetic in this issue.

you take a car, a remarkable way of traveling quickly from one place to another in comfort, then you remove half the safety features, two thirds of the comfort, and reduce the fuel efficency and lifespan of the moving parts to 10% of its original, and then zoom around and around and around for several HOURS.

thrillsville  :U

the least they could do is arm the drivers or place obsticles or at the VERY least use a track which is not oval or a figure eight

and theese fans half the time are people who think that LOTR is a boring movie

and will SOMEONE tell me how a four inch decal on a car that goes around in a circle at 200 MPH is effective advertising? im sure it costs a small fortune for some sucker who isnt extreeeemely wealthy enough to buy the two foot decal space on the hood.

im sorry if ive offended anybody, but most of you have probably seen the views and opinions of Amber (cant remember new last name) regarding her past in indiana. so if you didnt complain to her shut yer yap.

When you worry, when in doubt. Run in circles, scream and shout!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Brunhidden:

You're welcome to your opinion. It's a perfectly valid opinion, and the fact that a number of people disagree with you doesn't make you wrong :-)

Just a couple of points - the 4 inch decal isn't for when the car is moving. It's for when it wins, and the photos get taken and spread all over the local paper than the local yahoos drool all over for hours.
-That- is worth the money, because you get hours and hours of advertising, for, effectively, nothing.

I agree with you about arming the drivers, though. :-) Nascar would never be the same...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Well, F1's Suzuka's a figure 8 track. Too bad it's a crossover.

bill

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on September 14, 2006, 04:44:00 AM

and will SOMEONE tell me how a four inch decal on a car that goes around in a circle at 200 MPH is effective advertising? im sure it costs a small fortune for some sucker who isnt extreeeemely wealthy enough to buy the two foot decal space on the hood.

Those are called contingencies, by the way. These are official sponsors of NASCAR, not the team. Putting these stickers on generally make the team eligible for cash bonuses for winning, leading the most laps, etc.

Gornemant

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on September 14, 2006, 04:44:00 AM
I fail to see the excitement of modern day races. so forgive me if im mildly apathetic in this issue.

you take a car, a remarkable way of traveling quickly from one place to another in comfort, then you remove half the safety features, two thirds of the comfort, and reduce the fuel efficency and lifespan of the moving parts to 10% of its original, and then zoom around and around and around for several HOURS.

thrillsville  :U

the least they could do is arm the drivers or place obsticles or at the VERY least use a track which is not oval or a figure eight

im sorry if ive offended anybody, but most of you have probably seen the views and opinions of Amber (cant remember new last name) regarding her past in indiana. so if you didnt complain to her shut yer yap.

I'm not a big fan, in fact, I almost never watch motorsports. but there is a difference between nascar and F1  :B
the first is as you described, dull, with chopped down cars (ok you do lose some weight by removing the extras).
F1 use special cars with strict regulations, go to higher speed and I bet they're safer and more advanced than your regular car. Race tracks are usually filled with obstacles and are far from being just oval or figure 8 like  :P

but yeah, I'm more into doing it myself than watching, even if all I can race on is a go-kart, as long as I'm exhausted and had fun with friends I'm happy  :3

Leafar

only one thing...for those who doesn't understand races:

''TRY TO REALLY STEP ON YOUR CAR IN A STRAIGHT LINE...WHEN YOU START FEELING LIKE YOU SHOULD LIFT THE RIGHT FOOT...STEP MORE DEEPER AND FORGET ANY FEAR...''

feels like you are riding the wind and it surely feels great...

by the other hand, it might be cool for one and dumb for the other...like sexual orientation for example...you don't choose...you are chosen! ;)

Gornemant

Quote from: Leafar on September 14, 2006, 12:37:16 PM
..like sexual orientation for example...you don't choose...you are chosen! ;)
welllll, I don't know about you, but I pretty much choose, thx  :S

Leafar

Quote from: Gornemant on September 14, 2006, 03:46:40 PM
welllll, I don't know about you, but I pretty much choose, thx :S

:U i didn't mean THAT!!!!!!!!
Jesus, bad example...let's talk about F1 again shall we?so, who's mostly gonna take Schumi's place???

* Rosberg
* Alonso
* Raikkonen
* Cubica
* Montoya
* someone else

bill

Well, it ain't gonna be Montoya, that's for sure. Montoya's gone to NASCAR to beat up on Jacques Villeneuve, who also is being rumored for a NASCAR seat.

Gornemant

Quote from: Leafar on September 14, 2006, 05:17:28 PM

Jesus, bad example...
yeah indeed, that guy's not attractive... at all...

:mwaha

Leafar

Quote from: Gornemant on September 14, 2006, 05:33:14 PM
Quote from: Leafar on September 14, 2006, 05:17:28 PM

Jesus, bad example...
yeah indeed, that guy's not attractive... at all...

:mwaha

you're crazy...
i am surrounded by lunarians... :paranoid

hey sam Montoya is gone for Nascar????WHEN??WHERE???HOW??WHAT TEAM????ARE WE BEING WATCHED???? :O :U

bill

JPM will be driving for the #42 Chip Ganassi Texaco Dodge next year. He has oval experience from CART (r.i.p.), so he should do well.

Kickass paint scheme, too.

Leafar

Quote from: BillBuckner on September 14, 2006, 05:39:55 PM

indeed my friend...
yet going from F1 to Nascar...step back?

bill

Not for Montoya. F1 really didn't suit his agressive style.

Gornemant

Quote from: Leafar on September 14, 2006, 05:55:59 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on September 14, 2006, 05:39:55 PM

indeed my friend...
yet going from F1 to Nascar...step back?
well, maybe he just got lazy  :U

Leafar

:lol gornemant quiet you...go to your room now! and no computer for you! *takes away monitor*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Leafar, it's very hard to watch what he's doing if you take away your own monitor....

bill

llearch n'n'daCorna

I know. It's much more fun playing behind his back :-)

Leafar

bill

Gornemant

Quote from: Leafar on September 14, 2006, 06:50:44 PM
:lol gornemant quiet you...go to your room now! and no computer for you! *takes away monitor*
(I was already sleeeping...  :3 )
*cackles on his way to work*beware of that box, you never know what it's doing behind your back... until it's too late

well of course he got lazy, going for endurance instead of the technical aspects of the race, yup yup

Brunhidden

Merciful/wrathful Odin, please end this before somebody starts on the jeff gordon jokes. i barely survived highschool without throtling the thirty or so people who were obsessed with that.

grant me this favor and i shall pour meade in thy honour great allfather

if you wish me to drink the meade for you, give me no sign whatso- *struck by thirsty godly wrath*

Its not a sport if it does not involve a spiked club, dynamyte, or women in pudding

Leafar

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on September 15, 2006, 05:24:58 AM
Merciful/wrathful Odin, please end this before somebody starts on the jeff gordon jokes. i barely survived highschool without throtling the thirty or so people who were obsessed with that.

grant me this favor and i shall pour meade in thy honour great allfather

if you wish me to drink the meade for you, give me no sign whatso- *struck by thirsty godly wrath*

Its not a sport if it does not involve a spiked club, dynamyte, or women in pudding

WTF????? :S

quite an interesting quote glowing moving right there...i didn't know we could do that...we are so powerful... :rolleyes

Gornemant

Leafar

Quote from: Gornemant on September 15, 2006, 12:45:16 PM
I blame it on LSD *nodnod*

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!

:U

Brunhidden

LSD nothing, i just drink enough caffeene to kill a medium sized dog.....that, and my BO seems to be a mild halucinogen....

and if you want me to stop with the marquee effect then help me figure out where the tags for putting a quote at the end of a post are

The gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable fools.

Leafar

Great....Gornemant and now Brunhidden...plus me we have 3 of the darkside at the same forum!!!!
too power for a single place...we might get this place boomed!!!!! :}

edit: btw if we don't get on topic again soon, Dama or Dark will arrive fast and furious... :paranoid

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on September 16, 2006, 08:10:04 AM
LSD nothing, i just drink enough caffeene to kill a medium sized dog.....that, and my BO seems to be a mild halucinogen....

and if you want me to stop with the marquee effect then help me figure out where the tags for putting a quote at the end of a post are

Quote from: TheyThe gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable fools.

Like that?