7/27/09 [Abel's Story pt.2 #63] - Why did she have to move them?

Started by Jairus, July 27, 2009, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Sheesh, he sounds like he's visiting the dentist. Seriously, that is just a smidge too close... especially creepy considering that she's the library itself. As for Oracle of Deffin... I wonder what class that's for?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Howl

He might just wanna read it. But then, could be for a class, we'll see.

Psy-Kosh

Hrm... I'm starting to think that the "library incident" may be more, well... Is it just me, or does it seem like the librarian _likes_ Abel? (check out third panel especially.)

Okay... Here's my random of the moment pet theory: Abel backs out/rejects her advances due to it uncomfortably echoing the story Fa'Lina told him about his dad. Librarian takes this personally and, well the "ban" is more both deciding to avoid each other. Or, alternately, the librarian _doesn't_ accept it at all, so the only thing Abel can do is avoid the library...

Nah, it's probably something entirely different, presumably involving five tons of spinach, eighty thousand rubber bands, and a rubix cube. :)

Cogidubnus

This whole series is simultaneously creepy and, somehow, cute.

The librarian is now one of my favorite characters. It's a pity we'll in all likelihood not see more of her than this here.

Darkdragon

I was thinking the book is more of a novel, from Oolong's remark "it's a very good book" and "the rest of the series". After all, one does not usually read textbooks and English classes tend not to assign books in a series.

Scuravolpe

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on July 27, 2009, 02:37:47 AM
Hrm... I'm starting to think that the "library incident" may be more, well... Is it just me, or does it seem like the librarian _likes_ Abel? (check out third panel especially.)

Okay... Here's my random of the moment pet theory: Abel backs out/rejects her advances due to it uncomfortably echoing the story Fa'Lina told him about his dad. Librarian takes this personally and, well the "ban" is more both deciding to avoid each other. Or, alternately, the librarian _doesn't_ accept it at all, so the only thing Abel can do is avoid the library...

Nah, it's probably something entirely different, presumably involving five tons of spinach, eighty thousand rubber bands, and a rubix cube. :)

It's been said specifically by Amber that the incident will not appear in Abel's Story. There's no point in theorizing about it, since it's just a silly reference Amber threw out as a joke...similar to the Calvin and Hobbes "Noodle Incident." It's referenced as something really bad Abel did/was involved in/started/et cetera, and is regarded as something so bad that no one will ever (conveniently) talk about specifics. I highly doubt Amber will ever extrapolate on it.

Your theory is also...unsettling... :)

Dagardo

Oolong's "good book" comment also seems like another (futile) attempt to get Abel to smile, and seeing as how he did not, a book must be a reason for him to smile. I'm also fairly sure Abel has had very few reasons to smile since arriving at SAIA, if any at all. He doesn't seem like a smiler. At least not in this point in time

Naldru

The following are some of the reasons that I have known series of books to be moved in a library.

Movement from regular collection to "young adult" or vice versa.

Some libraries have separate sections for fantasy, science fiction, romance, western, mystery, etc.  Every so often the policy on the groupings seem to change and groups get recombined or split or merged with the regular collection.

Sometimes, librarians will decide to put together a collection of books based on a theme.  For example:  "If you liked Harry Potter, you'll like these."

It may sound crazy, but my gut feeling on the library incident was that it involved the organization of books.  Remember, Abel used to work in a library.  I can't see him damaging a library, but I can see him reorganizing the books.  Some librarians get very strong opinions on how the library should be organized.

English classes will sometimes assign books in a series to be reviewed by the students.  Especially "compare and contrast" type assignments referring to different series of books.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Brownie

The librarian's smile in the first panel looks very sinister.
Same with the last panel of #62.
And for the love of whatever higher power there is, Smile once Abel!

I also have a sudden desire to invent a way to jump into pictures just to meet Mrs Oolong.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Scuravolpe on July 27, 2009, 03:04:20 AM

It's been said specifically by Amber that the incident will not appear in Abel's Story. There's no point in theorizing about it, since it's just a silly reference Amber threw out as a joke...similar to the Calvin and Hobbes "Noodle Incident." It's referenced as something really bad Abel did/was involved in/started/et cetera, and is regarded as something so bad that no one will ever (conveniently) talk about specifics. I highly doubt Amber will ever extrapolate on it.

I didn't say we'll see it. I was merely theorizing about what it (off "screen") may have been. :)

QuoteYour theory is also...unsettling... :)

Thank you.

Zedd

TheWhiteChild

I think the librarian likes him a little too much... If you look closely, she has one tentacle wrapped a bit too high up the thigh to be anything but... intimate. That and three tentacles heading for his mouth. Either he's too emo to notice it, or near-tentacle rapes are very frequent. Considering how cubi naturally have tentacles, I'm heading for the second. Not like Amber's gonna ever show it~

That's enough encouraging of tentacle rape images. I'm back and hopefully gonna hang out for real! I finally has an avvy of my character Blue~!<3

TheWhiteChild

Aaaagh. It's too tiny now... I can't show enough Blue hotness like this! what's the proper size for avatars on here, again?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: TheWhiteChild on July 27, 2009, 03:39:29 AM
Aaaagh. It's too tiny now... I can't show enough Blue hotness like this! what's the proper size for avatars on here, again?

There's an edit button, you know.

Look in the rules. The image sizes are listed in there.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reese Tora

Quote from: Naldru on July 27, 2009, 03:06:55 AM
The following are some of the reasons that I have known series of books to be moved in a library.

Movement from regular collection to "young adult" or vice versa.

Some libraries have separate sections for fantasy, science fiction, romance, western, mystery, etc.  Every so often the policy on the groupings seem to change and groups get recombined or split or merged with the regular collection.

Sometimes, librarians will decide to put together a collection of books based on a theme.  For example:  "If you liked Harry Potter, you'll like these."

It may sound crazy, but my gut feeling on the library incident was that it involved the organization of books.  Remember, Abel used to work in a library.  I can't see him damaging a library, but I can see him reorganizing the books.  Some librarians get very strong opinions on how the library should be organized.

English classes will sometimes assign books in a series to be reviewed by the students.  Especially "compare and contrast" type assignments referring to different series of books.

It could also have been moved with a lot of other books to make room for new books, depending on the full nature of the library. (thinking something along the lines of the unseen university library... )

also, question to Amber: is that double 'F' in Deffin meant to be pronounced like a welsh double 'F' sound? (ie: with something like a 'v' sound...)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

TheWhiteChild

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2009, 04:04:57 AM
Quote from: TheWhiteChild on July 27, 2009, 03:39:29 AM

There's an edit button, you know.

Look in the rules. The image sizes are listed in there.

Oh, thanks, box-kun~ *goes to check*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on July 27, 2009, 02:40:31 AM
The librarian is now one of my favorite characters. It's a pity we'll in all likelihood not see more of her than this here.

You never know.  Dan will have to go back to SAIA at some point.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheWhiteChild

I certainly hope so! Out of them all, Oolong is the most interesting minor character to date! It's a bummer that, due to her size and situation, she can't be a main or supporting character.

Turnsky

i actually think her speech is more along the lines of a nigh-unison echo of the same voice, like all those rabbit heads are talking at the same time, but with varying volumes towards where she needs to speak at.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Turnsky on July 27, 2009, 04:33:54 AM
i actually think her speech is more along the lines of a nigh-unison echo of the same voice, like all those rabbit heads are talking at the same time, but with varying volumes towards where she needs to speak at.

Amber pointed this out in the last thread. :b

I'll point out to the "RAEP" jokers that the way she's acting is more like a coddling aunt than anything. Imagine the sort of figure that'll hug you tight, and then pinch your cheeks and tug them to get a smile.

And despite being an angler fish body, whatever Oolong is made up of underneath it all is very dextrous with all those tentacles. I'd kill to have a librarian that helpful (who could reach the tall shelves that the little people like me can't reach :b)
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Magic

Quotei actually think her speech is more along the lines of a nigh-unison echo of the same voice, like all those rabbit heads are talking at the same time, but with varying volumes towards where she needs to speak at.

I think the voice is more an omnipresent voice, heard from all directions within the library, rather than a multitude of different voices from different mouths, judging by how there's no speech balloon to direct your attention to any particular (number of) head(s).

QuoteI'd kill to have a librarian that helpful (who could reach the tall shelves that the little people like me can't reach :b)

It has to be a male librarian. (They exist.) A particularly tall one, so that when he turns around and reaches for a high shelf--
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Zinc210

Quote from: Darkdragon on July 27, 2009, 02:43:26 AMAfter all, one does not usually read textbooks and English classes tend not to assign books in a series.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. Considering Cubi classes have to stay in SAIA for so many centuries, they probably have to take so many english/reading classes (or maybe just have one that spans over a... really really long time *shudders*) that they can assign a whole series and analyze it in parts as well as a whole, and STILL be able to force a bunch of other novels down their throats  >:3

Lucheek

Wow. What a helpful librarian-- she knows exactly where a book is. Our librarian just give you a general area. like "on the second floor."

Madmann135

That librarian is the closest one to actually 'tentacle rape' anyone in the comic yet... well to 'tentacle rape' and without the intention to pierce, cut, dismember, lacerate and/or kill to the intended victim.

I think the librarian is talking on a psyonic level.  Translation I think she's using telepathy to talk to Abel which would explain how she can talk so interestingly and not disturb the other students in the library.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 27, 2009, 10:21:26 AM
I think the librarian is talking on a psyonic level.  Translation I think she's using telepathy to talk to Abel which would explain how she can talk so interestingly and not disturb the other students in the library.

I guess you missed this:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,6313.msg289598.html#msg289598

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aganerral

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on July 27, 2009, 02:37:47 AM

Really?  I'd heard it involved 20 warp-aci, 10 cases of hihgly caffeinated soda, 2 crates of slinkies, and a dirigible.

Caswin

Bookshelves!  Bookshelves!  Eat 'em all up!  Eh, there are worse things to have stuck in your head...

Theory: Abel somehow removed the wall between the library and art class while the students were more-or-less automatically drawing whatever was in front of them, and... well, they're still drawing.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

rhyfe2002

Okay, seeing the first panel, now I'm seriously wondering what pink-and-white tentacle tastes like.

And if she changes color, would it taste any different?  >:3

Jairus

Quote from: rhyfe2002 on July 27, 2009, 12:32:04 PM
Okay, seeing the first panel, now I'm seriously wondering what pink-and-white tentacle tastes like.

And if she changes color, would it taste any different?  >:3
Bubblegum to licorice. And yuck to both flavors.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Naldru

I wonder if Oolong could use the multiple sound sources for noise cancellation, creating silent zones by issuing sound waves that cancel out the sound waves coming to an area.

I also noticed that there is a new horror movie coming out entitled "The Box".  Is llearch branching out?

Edit:

Be nice to librarians.  They are facing constantly shrinking budgets and constantly expanding workloads.  Also, my sister is one.  I sent her a copy of the Oolong wallpaper.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.