6/27/09 [DMFA #1018] Diagrams From Hammerspace

Started by Lisky, June 27, 2009, 01:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisky

... the better question, why is a tripod mounted display board stalking abel

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on June 27, 2009, 01:11:15 AM
... the better question, why is a tripod mounted display board stalking abel

Tripods stalking people is one of my biggest nightmares.   :erk

Seriously, though, that was hilarious.   :giggle

OminousShadow

Fa'Lina is hiding in the shadows, masking her presence because she felt Cyra visit Dan and wants to make things more awkward later on. The Diagram was put there by her.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Garsemor

I just knew something like this was going to happen. (sarcasm starts) It's been a long time since we saw Abel freak out. (sarcasm ends)
It's properly just Fi who changed appearance again. That or it's the beginning of the invasion of the killer diagrams.

Brownie

The one ting I've learned form being on a forum where magic is ALWAYS the cause:
BLAME MAGIC.

I wish I had magic Diagrams to explain everything I said.
Heck, half the time I don't know what I'm talking about.

The_one_who_is_odd

I theorize that these diagrams and such are physical manifestations of power. In abel's case this is subconscious magic but in Fa'Lina's case she is conscious of it.

Jairus

... I must be tired, because it took me a moment to get why Abel was so freaked out. But now... *sporfleroflol* Awesome, Amber.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Psy-Kosh

*blinkblinks* I thought summonings involved more or less a single input of power in the DMFAverse rather than continuous. This apparently significantly affects something else I'd _THOUGHT_ I'd figured out. *chuckles*

What happens if the flow stops? They "die" and return to their original world? (what does it mean that it's a place of "non-sensation"?)

Wait... I thought in principle it was possible for a summoner to free their warp aci or such. How does that work if the need the continual influx of power to remain in the "regular" dmfa world?

Jairus

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on June 27, 2009, 01:55:23 AM
*blinkblinks* I thought summonings involved more or less a single input of power in the DMFAverse rather than continuous. This apparently significantly affects something else I'd _THOUGHT_ I'd figured out. *chuckles*

What happens if the flow stops? They "die" and return to their original world? (what does it mean that it's a place of "non-sensation"?)

Wait... I thought in principle it was possible for a summoner to free their warp aci or such. How does that work if the need the continual influx of power to remain in the "regular" dmfa world?
I'm thinking that the magic is like food and water for normal beings: they need pretty much a constant input of the stuff or their die. Now, obviously magic doesn't seem to follow those rules, but I guess magic could be acting as the "food source" for Warp Aci that sustains them, and you don't want some parasite leeching too much power off of you. And yeah, if they lost that supply then I guess the Warp Aci would return to their home plane. Or something along those lines. I wonder if Warp Aci can only gain the energy to sustain them through their summoner, or if they can gain some from areas of high magical energy. Or heck, what about food?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Zedd

I have to point my finger at Mab,Alex or Alzan again or a random fae

Turnsky

Amber Williams, Smacking your theorem upside the head since the dawn of time.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

mopman

If Fa'Lina is behind that joke she is my new favorite character  :mowcookie
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Madmann135

I like how Abel included 16 year old girls in the list of most popular warp-aci summoners... though I don't think Abel would be prepared for a diagram stalking him.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

AmigaDragon

...and return to their original world? (what does it mean that it's a place of "non-sensation"?)

They come from between... but without the intense cold (read McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

LoneHowler

I love the dragon aci so far all we have seen cute balonish aci. Hmmm no to go design a awesome loooking aci
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Tapewolf

I always said they were for girls - I thought I was just being facetious, though...

As I understand it, when the summoner dies, the warp-aci evapourates and goes back to its native dimension (see demonology).

However, I'm not entirely sure what happens when the link to the warp-aci is broken - in theory that should have stopped the flow of power, since Fa'Lina was no longer able to detect Fi and if it was still drawing power she should have been able to feel it, at least in principle.

Either way, what this strip seems to be saying is that Dan hasn't been regulating the power allowed to Fi, and when Cyra met him, it was able to do things which a properly-regulated warp-aci shouldn't, i.e. turn itself into a butterball.

Quote from: Baal Hadad on June 27, 2009, 01:13:28 AM
Tripods stalking people is one of my biggest nightmares.   :erk

I still can't watch that series.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Teroniss

I agree with Ominous. This is probably Fa'Lina's doing. No way she wouldnt sense Cyra's sudden stirring, even in SAIA

MT Hazard

Its a cubi racial ability  'summon relevant images' even Dan has done it once (by accident) when talking about the possible connection between Abel and his mother.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Teroniss on June 27, 2009, 05:06:19 AM
I agree with Ominous. This is probably Fa'Lina's doing. No way she wouldnt sense Cyra's sudden stirring, even in SAIA

... unless Cyra was deliberately or accidentally doing something to hide herself or her children from people. Like, say, the Dragons...

Oh, wait. She is.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 27, 2009, 05:24:20 AM
Quote from: Teroniss on June 27, 2009, 05:06:19 AM

... unless Cyra was deliberately or accidentally doing something to hide herself or her children from people. Like, say, the Dragons...

Oh, wait. She is.

well, it's excusable that some would miss out that detail in favor of a explanation they can live with, and imagine horribly written fanfics for.  >:3

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2009, 05:05:13 AM

Wait, those books got a tv series? The White Mountains, The City Of Gold And Lead, and Pool Of Fire? Jesus, those were creepy enough when I read them growing up.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

!KCA

Seeing as Dan doesn't use magic too much and is also getting an extra boost from Cyra, is there any reason he can't go ahead and invest half his power in Fi?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 27, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
Wait, those books got a tv series? The White Mountains, The City Of Gold And Lead, and Pool Of Fire? Jesus, those were creepy enough when I read them growing up.

They only filmed the first two books, unfortunately.  Either way the series royally creeped me out as a kid.  Someday I'll have to read the books.

Michael Chandra

The fact it makes the butterball biiiiiig apparently. I like it though. =)
And yay, Abel freaking out. I love it when he does that. :mwaha

Sofox

You know what's really creepy?
I watched Night of the Living Dead for the first time in my life just last night! (If you don't get it, Amber makes a blatant reference in today's comic).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sofox on June 27, 2009, 06:11:41 AM
You know what's really creepy?
I watched Night of the Living Dead for the first time in my life just last night! (If you don't get it, Amber makes a blatant reference in today's comic).

Did she? What'd she do, then?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: !KCA on June 27, 2009, 05:58:47 AM
Seeing as Dan doesn't use magic too much and is also getting an extra boost from Cyra, is there any reason he can't go ahead and invest half his power in Fi?
Because he'd run the risk of Fi being more powerful and/or capable than him.  Given that Fi isn't particularly with it, that would not be a Good Thing.  Think small child walking an adult labrador...

EDIT:

One thing that's just occurred to me - Dan doesn't seem to have had any angst issues given that he went all tentacular on Regina and tried to shred her with his evil 'Cubi powers.  Maybe he's got over the 'I'm a monster' thing, or maybe that'll happen later.

Sid

However, I'm not entirely sure what happens when the link to the warp-aci is broken - in theory that should have stopped the flow of power, since Fa'Lina was no longer able to detect Fi and if it was still drawing power she should have been able to feel it, at least in principle.

Well, it's not a given that a Warp-Aci dies instantly the moment the flow cut off.

<far-out theory>
And maybe the sword had its own power reserves (Wasn't it magical in some way?), so Fi maybe established a temporary bond with it? Alternatively, it acted as a sort of stasis pod, so Fi's un-linked time outside was just the ten seconds it needed to teleport Dan to SAIA, at which point Fa'Lina or someone else may have fed it some juice temporarily.
</far-out theory>

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2009, 06:28:23 AM
Because he'd run the risk of Fi being more powerful and/or capable than him.  Given that Fi isn't particularly with it, that would not be a Good Thing.  Think small child walking an adult labrador...

...like Chiyo-chan and Mr. Tadakichi? xD

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2009, 06:28:23 AM
One thing that's just occurred to me - Dan doesn't seem to have had any angst issues given that he went all tentacular on Regina and tried to shred her with his evil 'Cubi powers.  Maybe he's got over the 'I'm a monster' thing, or maybe that'll happen later.

He may still consider himself a quasi-monster, but probably accepted it for the time being because the powers come in handy against the real monsters? Just my guess, you raise a good point.
:boogie

Turnsky

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 27, 2009, 05:54:09 AM

the only tripods i feared fired heatrays and came from mars.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on June 27, 2009, 06:51:12 AM
He may still consider himself a quasi-monster, but probably accepted it for the time being because the powers come in handy against the real monsters? Just my guess, you raise a good point.

I'd like to think so.  I guess we'll find out in due course.