05/17/09 [DMFA #1003] - So Soon?

Started by LoneHowler, May 17, 2009, 01:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneHowler

Ah and here I thought she might me haunting his dreams more often the way she was going on
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

insidexml

Well, Cubi do live for a long time, so their definition of 'soon' could be different then the definition of 'soon' for, say, a Being.

I would suppose that it depends on perspective.

What are they sitting on, anyway?
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: insidexml on May 17, 2009, 01:44:13 AM
Well, Cubi do live for a long time, so their definition of 'soon' could be different then the definition of 'soon' for, say, a Being.

Looks like a giant, purple table/bed to me.
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Jairus

Well, at least she's not rushing him. For some reason, Cyra reminds me of Fa'Lina. That same air of a teacher/loving parent looking out for those less experience than her, coupled with a sense of humor honed over millennia. I think I'm gonna like Cyra.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

bdplague

LoneHowler

My guess is a convenient ledge brought in for dream necessity. Dan looks minuscule sitting next to her on the ledge 
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

OminousShadow

Hope Dan says she can come back at some point that we won't be waiting a couple of years for.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

inuhanyo

Quote from: LoneHowler on May 17, 2009, 01:41:41 AM
Ah and here I thought she might me haunting his dreams more often the way she was going on

Dan's already having trouble sleeping under normal conditions, he's probably going to have to make a special effort to get to sleep to "talk" to her again.  He'd better not wait too long.

Quote from: Jairus on May 17, 2009, 02:04:47 AM
Well, at least she's not rushing him. For some reason, Cyra reminds me of Fa'Lina. That same air of a teacher/loving parent looking out for those less experience than her, coupled with a sense of humor honed over millennia. I think I'm gonna like Cyra.

Quote from: bdplague on May 17, 2009, 02:08:43 AM
I like her already.  :U

Agreed.   

Since Dee is her daughter, Cyra would have to have ascended to tri-wing status after she was born, so the Cyra clan per se, can't be much over 7 millennia old, possibly significantly less.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 17, 2009, 02:33:28 AMSince Dee is her daughter, Cyra would have to have ascended to tri-wing status after she was born, so the Cyra clan per se, can't be much over 7 millennia old, possibly significantly less.

Is that necessarally how it works? IIRC what's been revealed in forums was that "clan founders are sterile" rather than "tri wings are sterile"

ie, do we actually know that the following sequence of events is disallowed:

Cyra ascends to tri wing status.
Cyra gives birth to Destinia
Cyra founds clan Cyra, (Destinia, and any other children of hers becoming a part of it) and in the process becomes sterile.

Garsemor

This is going to be interesting. I'm sure that at one point Dan will sleep specifically just to talk to her. I think this is the first discussion , Dan said to a cubi, which didn't involve some sort of insult or didn't end in disaster ever since Dee left.

I liked cyra ever since I saw her smile.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Garsemor on May 17, 2009, 02:59:06 AM
This is going to be interesting. I'm sure that at one point Dan will sleep specifically just to talk to her. I think this is the first discussion , Dan said to a cubi, which didn't involve some sort of insult or didn't end in disaster ever since Dee left.

Yes, if anything is going to help reconcile Dan to being a Cubi, it's meeting a nice Cubi, and Cyra seems to meet the bill.  That she is his grandmother doesn't hurt at all.

And  having someone he can talk to about all sorts of stuff, especially Cubi stuff, that he actually trusts is a Good Thing.

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on May 17, 2009, 02:39:35 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on May 17, 2009, 02:33:28 AMSince Dee is her daughter, Cyra would have to have ascended to tri-wing status after she was born, so the Cyra clan per se, can't be much over 7 millennia old, possibly significantly less.

Is that necessarily how it works? IIRC what's been revealed in forums was that "clan founders are sterile" rather than "tri wings are sterile"

ie, do we actually know that the following sequence of events is disallowed:

Cyra ascends to tri wing status.
Cyra gives birth to Destinia
Cyra founds clan Cyra, (Destinia, and any other children of hers becoming a part of it) and in the process becomes sterile.

Someone familiar with those discussions will have to answer that, my impression was that ascending to tri-wing status automatically founded a new clan, assuming that the new tri-wing has any living descendants.

EDIT: Either way though, Clan Cyra is younger than Destinia.

Michael Chandra

She's so gonna stalk him in his sleep, spying on him. Hey, you live that long, you get bored easily. This is a fun thing to do.

I bed she and Matilda would get along nicely.

Hellcat

Cyra looks so good in the second panel.... man I'm jealous of Amber being able to design such good clothes for her chars

Buhamet

I hope Dan politely tells her that he'd rather be talked to sooner, I'd really rather not wait ages for Cyra to appear again.

Then again, you never know. For all we know, Dan might decide to fully enrole at SAIA for a while, and who's to say Cyra can't "pop in" for a visit? She and Fa'Lina could be good friends after all

Feather Dancer

Well she's never spoken ill of Cyra herself so it's possible... Probably good for Dan too that she isn't pushing anything but being very respectful rather than sledgehammering everything onto him. Makes her look good too no doubt :c The question is whether she requests to not be mentioned in the "real world" as that would suggest some other goings on.

I want her back personally though, she's up in my top 5 easily :D
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Jack McSlay

It's odd that she's his grandmother and not great-great-grandmother or sobmithing. Maybe Destania is really old too

ps.: just occurred to me that all the clan leaders shown so far are female, are there any male leaders?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Sid

Quote from: Jack McSlay on May 17, 2009, 07:11:20 AM
ps.: just occurred to me that all the clan leaders shown so far are female, are there any male leaders?

That guy in the second panel was actually a Clan leader. Wildy still beat him up with bare hands - she's just that awesome. :grin
:boogie

Brownie

He now knows he's dreaming. Doesn't that mean that he could now have a certain element of control?
I forget it, but there's a term for that...

Another question bugging my mind...
'Cubi 'invade' dreams, right? Would it be possible for an untrained cubi to invade their own dream? Causing some kind of strange thing? Like, they see themeselves how others see them? Like in portal, when you make a portal in front and behind you, you can see Chell.

Prof B Hunnydew

It's odd that she's his grandmother and not great-great-grandmother or sobmithing. Maybe Destania is really old too

And How many Clan leaders have we seen?...I know of only two upclose, so far

PBH

Ghostwish

Aww, I was really hoping for a big, plot-revealing chat with Cyra too. :<

Ah well, maybe Dan will talk with her sooner than later.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 17, 2009, 07:50:54 AM

And How many Clan leaders have we seen?...I know of only two upclose, so far

PBH

Technically, we've "seen" four tri-wings but only two within the comic pages: there's one in the old calendar images and then there's *COUGH-HACK-WHEEZE* that we've seen as well. Of course, the two in-comic are also the two that we've actually seen in action using founder-y abilities as well, so they're more important for the sake of discussion as opposed to "Ooo, lookit me, I'm Pwetty".

But yes, all four shown so far are female. I doubt Amber is going to go out of her way to show more leaders than necessary just to prove there can be male founders as well, especially as all the founders we've seen in action so far are very ... scantily clad.

I can only imagine that a male founder, if one exists, would wear little more than a glorified suspender thong.  :erk

Noone

Personally, the way Cyra is acting makes me think it's not really her, rather someone else invading his dream creating an image of her.

For one, if Dan were Cyra's direct grandson, indicated in the previous panel, I think she would go to a lot more effort of protecting him, or at least educating him. It doesn't even have to be a SAIA education, he could stay with his relatives personally, and I would think Cyra can hide/protect him a lot better than he can on his own.

Secondly, I don't really think 'real' Cyra would brush the conversation off so early, and 'anything under a decade' would be a lot of time that Dan could get himself killed. If anything, resume the next night, but I would imagine that Cyra would be a bit more... pushy, especially considering what had just happened to him.

I still think what's going on in Dan's dream is a setup orchestrated by Abel, or Fa'lina, both have motive to push Dan to get back into SAIA.

Dard

I don't know.
I think Cyra is kidding here.
I mean, she specifically said that she was here to help him survive.
In ten years he either will be dead already or no needing her help anymore.
Sure, we don't know exactly how much she knows about Dan and especially his recent problems. But I still think we won't have to wait ten years to hear or see from her again.

Tapewolf

Ugh, wall of text.  So many replies...

Yeah, I asked about that.  The females outnumber them in the present, but there are still some male tri-wings.
As for Destania, she's 7026 (see wiki for reference).

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 17, 2009, 03:17:27 AM
Yes, if anything is going to help reconcile Dan to being a Cubi, it's meeting a nice Cubi, and Cyra seems to meet the bill.  That she is his grandmother doesn't hurt at all.

We'll see.  Given that her clan tends to revel in causing pain and that she didn't seem to prevent Destania from becoming horrifically evil, I'm not sure.
With that in mind, it seems unlikely that she is one of the few tri-wings who ascended without taking souls.  Dan might not be too pleased when he finds out.

QuoteAnd  having someone he can talk to about all sorts of stuff, especially Cubi stuff, that he actually trusts is a Good Thing.

Very much so.  Given that this whole mess was started because he was trying to learn about Destania's evil, I hope he has the presence of mind to ask about her.

QuoteSomeone familiar with those discussions will have to answer that, my impression was that ascending to tri-wing status automatically founded a new clan, assuming that the new tri-wing has any living descendants.

I don't know if it's the ascension or the clan bit that renders them sterile.  However, I'm willing to place money on the ascension doing it.  If that's not the step that makes them unkillable by normal means, I'll be very, very surprised.  And if they can't die that way, they're not liable to reproduce that way either.  Just like the undead.

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 17, 2009, 02:33:28 AM
Dan's already having trouble sleeping under normal conditions, he's probably going to have to make a special effort to get to sleep to "talk" to her again.  He'd better not wait too long.
Medication might do it.  I've always had a suspicion that dreaming fades over a century or more, and from what Cyra is saying it doesn't sound like a 10-year wait is out of the question.

Quote from: The1Kobra on May 17, 2009, 09:09:53 AM
Personally, the way Cyra is acting makes me think it's not really her, rather someone else invading his dream creating an image of her.

Interesting thought.  I doubt Abel has the experience to do it.  Fa'Lina might.  If you're correct, it might have been her doing that stuff to Fi to act as some kind of transceiver.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

The_one_who_is_odd

i liked her ever since i saw her 'wingspan'

Alondro

There are NO male clan leaders.

Males would never give up fertility.   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

AmigaDragon

The stuff of dreams.

A kind motherly/grandmotherly smile. Regardless of whether it's genuine or faked.

Quote from: Alondro on May 17, 2009, 09:41:16 AM
There are NO male clan leaders.

Males would never give up fertility.   :giggle

Infertility doesn't mean unable to perform.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Vel Damas

Tsunari

Hmmmm, maybe Dan will go why not meet me in person.

Also where was it mentioned in forums that Clan Founders/Tri-wings are sterile?

inuhanyo

Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 17, 2009, 03:40:10 AM
She's so gonna stalk him in his sleep, spying on him. Hey, you live that long, you get bored easily. This is a fun thing to do.

Dan's gotten to the point where he doesn't need to sleep, under normal conditions.  Having lost a lot of blood isn't a normal condition, so for a little while he can go to sleep like he used to.  But once he recovers, he'll have take some special effort to go to sleep, perhaps medication as tapewolf suggests.

And Cyra is going to have to keep some small degree of awareness of his dream state, if only so she can "hear" him when he wants to talk with her.

But it's not like he sleeps and dreams every night, anymore.

Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2009, 07:32:31 AM
He now knows he's dreaming. Doesn't that mean that he could now have a certain element of control?
I forget it, but there's a term for that.

It's called a lucid dream