05/08/09 [Abel 2 #54] - Hizell vs. Siar

Started by Sunblink, May 08, 2009, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Well this is interesting. Plus, this might explain most of Aniz's animosity toward Destania, if he indirectly blames her for keeping him from joining his clan god I don't know my head hurts.

Siar looks awesome in that first panel. So does the dragon, even if he only exists as a silhouette.

Aganerral

Also probably explains Dee's crusade against dragons even if the rest of the cubi don't seem to be actively at war with dragons anymore.  Aniz undoubtedly resent/hates Dee for keeping him away from that last fight.  Dee doesn't seem the type to realize her actions caused that falling out, she probably blames the dragons for the upcoming breakup.  And of course Aniz himself as evidenced in her vow to destroy him.

Lisky

Besides questioning exactly how Siar's dress is being held up, i think she does look quite awesome.

This also explains the animosity that Aniz feels towards Dee, but doesn't quite explain where she goes to hating him.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

VSMIT

Tapewolf

Intriguing.  I had heard somewhere that the Dragon Wars ended long before Aniz was born.  I guess there were still isolated skirmishes 'Cubi-Dragon skirmishes or something.

Either way, I don't think we quite have the definitive answer as to how the Destania-Aniz relationship broke up.

EDIT:
It most certainly does explain the fragmentation of the clan, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

And Amber throws another curveball at us. This is getting really interesting now...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

bradypodidae

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2009, 02:44:00 PM
Either way, I don't think we quite have the definitive answer as to how the Destania-Aniz relationship broke up.

Agreed. So far it seems we only have a reason for Aniz to feel betrayed by Destania. There must be much more to this that has yet been disclosed. Also, I wonder if Destania's mental attack to stop Aniz from leaving helped create the condition of his on-coming madness mentioned by Fa'Lina. You know, a little too strong and frying some wiring?
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Buhamet

Brilliant comic. It helps explain things in the main comic, as well as other backstory areas.

I still don't fully understand Dee's reasoning for wanting to eliminate dragon kind fully, but this does help.

also, Aniz looks sorta like a lost child/troubled child in panel 4

terrycloth

Teh_Hobo

Hmm. I'm thinking that that blast to the back of the head may have had some unintended side effects. Possibly it caused Aniz's mind to fracture more than it would have otherwise? I would figure that not being able to even help your clan as it is presumably destroyed would do some nasty stuff to your mind, but add a magical blast to the back of the head...
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Garsemor

It is possible that Aniz fled to go fight the dragons even thou Dee -asked- him not to. Dee is just a noter cubi after all, and cubi breakups apparently end up whit broken skulls according to page 545.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I like how Aniz is less muscular in these panels than he is when you first see him. It really highlights how he probably couldn't have done too much against a dragon, but when it comes to bullying people like Abel and Hennaya around, he's more than sufficient.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

rabid_fox

I've always felt empathy for Aniz. You can read about it in the factpaper.

Oh dear.

MT Hazard

Am I the only one who thinks 'make' should be 'take' ?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

bradypodidae

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 08, 2009, 03:31:50 PM
I think it is to "make" a sacrifice...

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 08, 2009, 03:28:15 PM
I've always felt empathy for Aniz. You can read about it in the factpaper.
Indeed.

Am I the only one who thinks ....
Yes.  Now don't let Amber see it otherwise Bad Things may happen....

Quote from: Garsemor on May 08, 2009, 03:12:17 PM
It is possible that Aniz fled to go fight the dragons even thou Dee -asked- him not to.
I don't think that's the reason.  Most likely, the combined shock of:

1. Losing his Founder
2. Losing pretty much the rest of his Clan
3. Having Destania preventing him from "saving his Founder" (yeah, right)
...plus the sudden realisation that it's down to him to continue the Clan (which won't happen if he marries Destania) caused him to flip out a bit and pack her.  The fact that she stunned him is probably immaterial by comparison.

...but we won't know for sure yet.

What intrigues me is the idea that Siar apparently managed to broadcast something to her entire clan.

Arcblade

Oh dear.  Here comes the downward spiral... 

MT Hazard

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on May 08, 2009, 03:34:24 PM
I think it is to "make" a sacrifice...

Original
"..But it was a risk all of them were willing to make."
and
"It was not a risk Destania was willing to make"

compare

"..But it was a risk all of them were willing to take."
and
"It was not a risk Destania was willing to take"

Sorry to be a pain about it but it, it only a single letter anyway, it just caught me attention.

Quote from: Arcblade on May 08, 2009, 03:40:38 PM
Oh dear.  Here comes the downward spiral... 

Are you really surprised?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

bradypodidae

Noted: the more I looked at it the more I'm inclined to agree.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2009, 03:38:56 PM
What intrigues me is the idea that Siar apparently managed to broadcast something to her entire clan.

Well, if a Clan leader can send out some sort of empathic signal that allows for the tentalces with head and some sort of general boost to the clan's power, it would imply that there is some sort of connection between the founder and everyone in the clan. That such a connection can be used to send messages isn't much of a stretch.

Also, remember, we are hearing Fa'Lina's after action report. The message might have been something as simple as "HELP!" shouted (or whatever metaphor you like) to the entire clan.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Titanium Dragon

I have to second/third/fourth/whatever the "first panel looks good" crowd.

Quote from: Jairus on May 08, 2009, 02:48:40 PM
And Amber throws another curveball at us. This is getting really interesting now...

I dunno, really. I mean, them losing to a dragon is fairly obvious - dragons and fae seem to be the strongest creatures (especially after a certain fae's comment that this world doesn't really matter, which is why they can be there in the first place), Destania hates dragons (and from what little we know, we knew already that she believed they were wiping the Cubi out...), ect.

Jairus

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on May 08, 2009, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: Jairus on May 08, 2009, 02:48:40 PM

I dunno, really. I mean, them losing to a dragon is fairly obvious - dragons and fae seem to be the strongest creatures (especially after a certain fae's comment that this world doesn't really matter, which is why they can be there in the first place), Destania hates dragons (and from what little we know, we knew already that she believed they were wiping the Cubi out...), ect.
No, I meant Destania knocking Aniz out, and a Dragon being involved in the cause of their breakup and/or Aniz's spiral into insanity. I don't recall any of us believing that a Dragon might have been involved in the Aniz's problem, though I may be wrong.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lucheek

Huh... the clan symbol on Siar's chest isn't there. I wonder if, as a clan leader, she has such powerful magic she can hide it?

Anodyne

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2009, 03:38:56 PM

Quote from: Garsemor on May 08, 2009, 03:12:17 PM
It is possible that Aniz fled to go fight the dragons even thou Dee -asked- him not to.
I don't think that's the reason.  Most likely, the combined shock of:

1. Losing his Founder
2. Losing pretty much the rest of his Clan
3. Having Destania preventing him from "saving his Founder" (yeah, right)
...plus the sudden realisation that it's down to him to continue the Clan (which won't happen if he marries Destania) caused him to flip out a bit and pack her.  The fact that she stunned him is probably immaterial by comparison.

...but we won't know for sure yet.

I agree, but I suspect that the lead-up to Destania hitting him with a stunner from behind probably went something like this: Siar sends out the call. Aniz tells Dee that he has to go help; Dee begs him to stay in the Academy, where he'll be safe. Aniz refuses, starts to leave the Academy anyways - and Dee hits him from behind, so he can't leave.

Plus...well, we don't know (yet) if Aniz actually would have made a difference. Realistically, since he had no combat training, either with weapons or spells, it's not likely he would've made a significant difference.

But try telling him that. Not to mention anyone else from his clan who survived what was, no doubt, a massacre. "Where were you?! If we'd had just one more person there, we might have won! We might have saved Siar!"
The guilt he'd be suffering would be bad enough - but hearing that, from what's left of his family? That may well have been what caused him to crack.

And I just thought of something: we know Aniz wasn't trained in combat spells. But we don't know for sure that he didn't have any training in the healing arts, either - and that definitely could have made a difference, in how the battle turned. Especially if Siar died because the healers couldn't get to her soon enough...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on May 08, 2009, 02:38:56 PM

Besides questioning exactly how Siar's dress is being held up, i think she does look quite awesome.

Remember she's a scarily powerful awesome-looking triwing 'Cubi. Even if the dress isn't the product of shapechanging, converting her fur into velcro should be simple and straightforward, and work just as well as static cling.   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Naldru

Please note that you aren't criticizing Amber's grammar.  You are criticizing Fa'lina's grammar.  That can be dangerous.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on May 08, 2009, 07:22:16 PM
Please note that you aren't criticizing Amber's grammar.  You are criticizing Fa'lina's grammar.  That can be dangerous.
Since my earlier warning seems to have gone unheeded, I'll again point out that Amber doesn't suffer typo-spotting gladly (see Lost Lake section rules).

Stig Hemmer

This... this makes so much sense it hurts.  Poor young Aniz.  I still can't forgive the somewhat older Aniz what he did to Hennya, but poor poor young kid.

When he regained consciousness and was told (or felt) that Siar and most of the clan was dead, his entire world must have shattered.

He probably did or said something that Destania considered unforgivable.  She just saved his life, and then he complains?!?
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Caswin

Is it wrong that I feel more interested in the Last Stand of Siar against Hizell (and Implicit Multiple Stands Prior to This One, to Say Nothing of the Conflict and Circumstances Surrounding It) than the tragedy of Aniz and Destania?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

GundamDragon

I said that dragons had a part in it. They whipe out most of the clan and Aniz is speared because Destania KOs him lol. Resalting in those who survided of the clan to call him a cowered for not fighting.