05/04/09 [DMFA #998] - Dreaming about cute girls

Started by AmigaDragon, May 04, 2009, 02:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Brownie

Agreed Amiga.
His eyes being blacked out is a nice touch to finish off portraying his mood.
And with all her hair and ears falling forward, The only thing I had to identify her by was her clothing, thank Amber that everyone wears different clothing.

Garsemor

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 04, 2009, 02:05:08 AM
Good, evil or otherwise, she is cute.
Well I don't think this counts as dreaming about cute girls but more of dreaming about killing a cute girl. There is a difference.

Jairus

Anyone else notice that doesn't have his headwings and he's not using his tentacles? Actually... she's wearing her outfit that we originally saw her in. So, Dan's either dreaming about killing her back then, or flashing back to that battle.

Dangit, I can't wait for the next DMFA update! Also, only two strips left before #1000.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Garsemor

Quote from: Jairus on May 04, 2009, 02:17:39 AM
Anyone else notice that doesn't have his headwings and he's not using his tentacles? Actually... she's wearing her outfit that we originally saw her in. So, Dan's either dreaming about killing her back then, or flashing back to that battle.

Dangit, I can't wait for the next DMFA update! Also, only two strips left before #1000.

I think he's dreaming about just wanting to kill her. Because anyone who gets priced like that has almost no chance of survival. Also dreams are very easy to control and are based on a subconscious level of taught the if someone is angry at someone a related dream resembles what we have seen. It is normal that Dan isn't using his head-wings and isn't using his tentadrils because his subconscious has to get adjusted. Most changes like of this degree will take about a month to get used to and I don't think more than 5 days have passes yet.

Ganurath

Quote from: Garsemor on May 04, 2009, 02:11:46 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 04, 2009, 02:05:08 AM
Good, evil or otherwise, she is cute.
Well I don't think this counts as dreaming about cute girls but more of dreaming about killing a cute girl. There is a difference.
Dreaming of trying to kill a cute girl.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Madmann135

That's one effective lady killer... though she's to immature to be considered a lady, more like a child, but she is female... BAH!

Dan needs to carry more swords.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Garsemor

This is the first time we have seen Dan in this sort frenzy anger. As far as we know him he was always the forgive and forget tip of guy. He was never this angry, or at least what we have seen. Not when he battled DP, not when he was attacked by Aaryanna, not when Abel said that his mom was an evil monster, he always remained calm, this is the deepest hate-anger combo I have ever seen.

Titanium Dragon

So did Amber make up the comment thinger, or is that ladykiller stuff from somewhere?

Feather Dancer

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on May 04, 2009, 03:53:06 AM
So did Amber make up the comment thinger, or is that ladykiller stuff from somewhere?

I found similar songs but not that one less it's a) old b) Very well timed and cool random little lyric.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Zedd

As the old quote says "Let a sleeping cat lie"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Garsemor on May 04, 2009, 03:06:13 AM
He was never this angry, or at least what we have seen. Not when he battled DP, not when he was attacked by Aaryanna, not when Abel said that his mom was an evil monster, he always remained calm, this is the deepest hate-anger combo I have ever seen.

Looks like Regina's deeds really screwed him up.

Interesting that he's sleeping, I imagine that 'Cubi do sometimes need to do this when they're badly hurt, though a full adult 'Cubi probably wouldn't dream.  And yes, the lack of headwings is rather interesting.  It'll be interesting whether he has them or not when they get to see him.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Scarydragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 04, 2009, 06:43:00 AM
Interesting that he's sleeping, I imagine that 'Cubi do sometimes need to do this when they're badly hurt, though a full adult 'Cubi probably wouldn't dream.  And yes, the lack of headwings is rather interesting.  It'll be interesting whether he has them or not when they get to see him.

It could be that Dan simply hasn't had enough time to realize all that it means to be a cubi. No need for sleep, dreaming, etc. As for the headwings, he probably hasn't grown to accept his cubi heritage as a part of his self image.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

inuhanyo

Dan was complaining about not being able to get to sleep just before his wing tentacles first manifested.  This is probably the first dream he's had in some time, and it's of at least fighting Regina, if not killing her.  Given what he's wearing, it's probably not a full on flashback, not yet.  Of course, I could be mistaken, there could have been a reason he wasn't wearing his robe on that occasion.

Dan is wielding the sword left-handed.  Has he trained himself to be combat ambidextrious?

Mao

Cute girl indeed. <3  Pity it looks like he's killing her (or at least attempting).

Ghostwish

Folks, I think Dan's in the midst of a flashback. Regina's in an older outfit, Dan doesn't have his headwings, and I can't recall where, but I keep remembering that it was Dan who skeletized Regina's wing, after Regina nearly killed Wildy. Maybe my last bits of sanity said see ya and made for the border..

Meh, either way, dreams are not visions, they're memories. You never dream 'new' material, it's just your subconscious going whacko. So I'm convinced that Dan is remembering a previous fight with Regina.

Lego3400

Looking very closely at Regina I notice what looks to be blood.  Takes a bit to notice but it's there.   Not saying I'm surpised she's bleeding, but considering the pose, I was just expect it to be implied not actully there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 04, 2009, 08:03:52 AM
Meh, either way, dreams are not visions, they're memories. You never dream 'new' material, it's just your subconscious going whacko.

Yes, and it doing so it usually comes up with new material.  Not precognition, if that's what you meant, but fantasy.  And sometimes it is grounded in reality.  IIRC the guy who invented the benzene molecule had it come to him in a dream, and I've had various dreams which inspired me to writing, music etc...

QuoteSo I'm convinced that Dan is remembering a previous fight with Regina.
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_615.php
...these sure as heck aren't memories, at least, not in their original form.

Nor is this:  http://missmab.com/Demo/Cubi03.php ...though admittedly they're being tampered with slightly.

There is no reason I can see that Dan couldn't be dreaming of a new fight with Regina.

GundamDragon

Most vets and solders do have dream flash back to savior or even traumatic battles. So adventures should have similar dreams. As for the sword being in the off hand its is often more comfortable to waled a sword in the off hand then the main. (I'm right handed and use my bayonet, knife or sword in the left hand and a pistole on SMG in the right hand.)

AndersW

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 04, 2009, 07:39:53 AM
Dan is wielding the sword left-handed.  Has he trained himself to be combat ambidextrous?

I remember Amber saying that Dan is ambidextrous.  I think it is in the nice archive.

Found it.  http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum0543.htm#ref6

Arcblade

In regards to Regina...

"Yes, cute.  Like a little button.  On a rattlesnake."   >:3

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Arcblade on May 04, 2009, 01:17:24 PM
In regards to Regina...

"Yes, cute.  Like a little button.  On a rattlesnake."   >:3

:giggle

Couldn't have said it better myself.  ;)

Corgatha Taldorthar

I really like how this was done in one panel, how the whole scene just kind of bleeds together. It gives a very surreal look to things, totally, 100% appropriate for perhaps wound induced dementia dreams.

Keep it up Amber.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Titanium Dragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 04, 2009, 08:19:31 AM
Quote from: Ghostwish on May 04, 2009, 08:03:52 AM
Meh, either way, dreams are not visions, they're memories. You never dream 'new' material, it's just your subconscious going whacko.

Yes, and it doing so it usually comes up with new material.  Not precognition, if that's what you meant, but fantasy.  And sometimes it is grounded in reality.  IIRC the guy who invented the benzene molecule had it come to him in a dream, and I've had various dreams which inspired me to writing, music etc...

Dreams are complicated. You can actually figure stuff out in your dreams, as your brain is still working, just in an altered state of consciousness. One famous fiddle composition was invented in the composer's sleep - the devil sat at the foot of his bed and played the violin, and his attempted reconstruction of it became known for being an incredibly difficult violin piece. Of course, he said he could never get it as good as it was in his dream, but you know...

I've had dreams about waking up, going to school, sitting through a lecture... then waking up, going to school, and sitting through the lecture which was eerily familiar (though I suspect it wasn't identical, at the time it felt that way). Fortunately I like school :P

inuhanyo

Quote from: Brownie on May 04, 2009, 02:11:20 AM

His eyes being blacked out is a nice touch to finish off portraying his mood.

It's a trope  "This usually symbolizes a person driven by events to a point of unpredictable action."

However, it's also been used to symbolize grief or sadness, so context is important.

Alondro

*Charline giggles*  Dan may be a lady killer, but Regina is a man-eater!

Watch out boy, she'll chew you up!

*Alondro pops in*  But she's always a woman to me...

*Charline batters Alondro!*  Damn it!  It's bad enough I have to kill Charles every other day!   >:[
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

jeffh4

OK, here's my theory and what backs it up.

Regina looks like she does in her first appearance:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_388.php
with the one change being Amber changing the wing colors from Red to Purple.

Regina's left wing got turned into bone at some point after her flashback encounter with Dan, and we're looking at Regina in Dan's dream from the left side.  We don't see bony wings, so this is not a "current" or future encounter Dan is dreaming about.  That's reinforced by Dan's lack of headwings. 

You'll also notice that Regina's arms are not covered in blood up to her elbows. The only blood we see is from where Dan's sword is impaling her.  I think Dan is dreaming/fantasizing about killing Regina before she starts her rampage.

Naldru

Let me think about this.  We have people applying Freudian psychoanalysis to a fictional character.  Somehow, this seems to be going a little too far.  Unless Amber has taken a recent course in psychoanalysis or even psychology in general, would we be looking at Dan's perceptions or Amber's perceptions.

Looking at the picture, Dan and Regina appear to be in a hot place surrounded by flames.  Although no one has commented on it, it could be suggestive.

The dream about the benzene ring was of a snake holding its tail in its mouth so that it formed a ring.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on May 05, 2009, 01:03:41 PM
Let me think about this.  We have people applying Freudian psychoanalysis to a fictional character.
That would seem a bit OTT.  I think most people are just trying to work out whether it's a recollection from before, or a generic dream of himself battling Regina.
However I do question Ghost's apparent assertion that dreams can only ever be replays of prior events.

Garsemor

It is said that dreams may also show the future. There is a theory saying that, if the universe is surrounded by a sort of wall formed from space and time, the brain may be able to tap in to the frequency of this barrier, allowing the person to know future events but mostly the brain is said to simply ignore and discard this info.