03/12/09 [Abel 2 #48] - When he left her, he was but the learner…

Started by Jairus, March 12, 2009, 01:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Oh... wow. Aniz was Destania's student? You know... did anyone ever raise that idea? I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it possible Aniz snapped because of what he saw and learned there?

But I will say this about Destania: she's being honest about her job. Is she trying to offer Abel the chance to learn everything she taught Aniz so that Abel could potentially pay Aniz back for what he did to his son? Or is this some chance for Destania to get revenge on an old student/failure of hers?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Jairus on March 12, 2009, 01:03:13 AM
Oh... wow. Aniz was Destania's student? You know... did anyone ever raise that idea? I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it possible Aniz snapped because of what he saw and learned there?

But I will say this about Destania: she's being honest about her job. Is she trying to offer Abel the chance to learn everything she taught Aniz so that Abel could potentially pay Aniz back for what he did to his son? Or is this some chance for Destania to get revenge on an old student/failure of hers?

I know I sure wasn't expecting that, especially not with Destania apparently wanting to make Abel destroy him--I guess I considered the possibility that it was personal, but I guess I didn't realize Destania was so much...OLDER than Aniz....

Wow, I wonder where this is going to go now....

RobbieThe1st

What I noticed about this page is that, despite the fact that she is talking about pain and terror, that she taught Aniz.. Abel has spoken more to her now than he has since he woke up - And, really, his first coherent speech.

One wonders if this meeting wasn't engineered by Fa'Lina to get him interested, instead of simply sitting there mute. Sure, on the last page(#47), it would seem as if Destania showed up of her own accord, but with Fa'Lina controlling things, the last panel may have simply been a show for Abel's benefit.

Just my 2c.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

techmaster-glitch

Jairus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 12, 2009, 01:42:42 AM
I guess it's easy to say that this comic comes back to mind...
Oh... oh... I did not think of that. Now that is a good reason for Abel to despise Destania. Dang. Just... dang. Good catch, techie.

Also...
QuoteI lied!

There are no rants! NOOOOONE!

All there is is Zule!

-Amber
I lol'ed.

Zedd

Quote from: Jairus on March 12, 2009, 01:44:31 AM

Also...
QuoteI lied!

All there is is Zule!

-Amber
I lol'ed.

*plays the end keys of the piano* They hate you when you do that...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 12, 2009, 01:03:13 AM
Oh... wow. Aniz was Destania's student? You know... did anyone ever raise that idea?
I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it possible Aniz snapped because of what he saw and learned there?

She teaches at the Academy, Aniz was a student there.  Is it so surprising that he might have taken her courses?

QuoteBut I will say this about Destania: she's being honest about her job. Is she trying to offer Abel the chance to learn everything she taught Aniz so that Abel could potentially pay Aniz back for what he did to his son?
Unlikely because she went and invaded his dreams.  Looks to me like she already had the agenda and saw Abel as an opportunity.  I still think it's an inter-clan thing.

QuoteOr is this some chance for Destania to get revenge on an old student/failure of hers?

Most unlikely.  Dee's been at the Academy for about 7000 years.  Aniz cannot have been the first student who didn't meet the mark, and if she systematically destroyed (or had destroyed by proxy) all students who flunked her course, she'd:
1. Create a very bad diplomatic situation for her clan if not an outright war
2. Probably be killed herself by Fa'Lina since the idea is to nurture young 'Cubi not snack on them
3. Stop clans from wanting their children to study at the Academy at all

It can also be argued from 713 that Abel failed her, most likely by not carrying out her will regarding Aniz IMHO.

An interesting point is that in AS 95 and 96 (93 & 94), Aniz says that having a fear of blood would be a disadvantage if 'she' is involved.  At the time there was speculation as to who that was - I'm thinking it's probably Dee.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Royden

Going to have to de-lurk on this one because I just had a thought (and forgive me if it's already been brought up) but this comic reminded me back in #527 when Ink was bugging Abel "Here I was thinking you actually cared about his welfare since he happens to be Edward Ti'Fiona's son..." I was always wondering why would he care about an adventurer...

Could it be because he made Destania stop being evil? I mean we saw back then the comics where she simply said it was her laws to kill Edward and next thing we knew, she was married and starting a new life with Dan's birth... but until now, don't think we've ever had a scope of how... can't beat around the bush, just plain evil she is at this point and time.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I find it interesting that Destania (not Dee. Dee is after she has Dan.) is wearing lipstick, here. Comparing it to her in 704, 933, and 936, it's an interesting change...

Other than that, it's all up in the air. And what Amber has done here is an interesting twist - but not massively surprising. We knew Aniz was young (AS2#012 says 464), and Amber has said Destania's, ah, mature. Experienced. Definitely not old - at least, not within her hearing. ;-] Over 7000. We presume much of that has been spent at the Academy, teaching, but we really don't know.

Incidentally, taking Tapewolf's commentary on 713, it can also be argued that her plans for Aniz changed with the birth of Dan. Or that Aniz was killed by an adventurer - Edward, possibly, given Ink's commentary (thanks, Royden. I was just typing this and you had to chime in. ;-] ) to Abel. We have no real information either way, though, so it's all just speculation...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Michael Chandra

Turnsky

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 12, 2009, 07:20:27 AM
So I guess Aniz was the one that's hot for teacher?

doubtful, if anything Destania would scare him, something tells me that Aniz has a few marbles left in his skull to know to not tick off things that could hang his pelt above a fireplace without batting an eyelid.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

RyuuYareYare

wonder if dan hears all this he would kill his mom. he probbably didnt take abels seriously because he thought Abel wass evil.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 12, 2009, 04:30:19 AM
QuoteOr is this some chance for Destania to get revenge on an old student/failure of hers?

Most unlikely.  Dee's been at the Academy for about 7000 years.  Aniz cannot have been the first student who didn't meet the mark, and if she systematically destroyed (or had destroyed by proxy) all students who flunked her course, she'd:
1. Create a very bad diplomatic situation for her clan if not an outright war
2. Probably be killed herself by Fa'Lina since the idea is to nurture young 'Cubi not snack on them
3. Stop clans from wanting their children to study at the Academy at all

It can also be argued from 713 that Abel failed her, most likely by not carrying out her will regarding Aniz IMHO.

An interesting point is that in AS 95 and 96 (93 & 94), Aniz says that having a fear of blood would be a disadvantage if 'she' is involved.  At the time there was speculation as to who that was - I'm thinking it's probably Dee.
I didn't quite mean failure in the sense of a student flunking her courses. More the kind of failure that goes beyond that, though how someone who teaches Pain and Terror could find someone going beyond the pale into the arena where they feel like killing that person raises other questions. Maybe because he started using those techniques on his own family. Destania never seems to have used those techniques on her own family, so Aniz might have violated some sense of standard she has (though where someone who wanted to use children and infants gets off having standards is beyond me).

But yeah, inter-clan rivalry makes sense too. As for the fear of blood, I'm sure there are lots of techniques that involve no bloodshed whatsoever.

Quote from: RedMoonAi on March 12, 2009, 10:27:00 AM
wonder if dan hears all this he would kill his mom. he probbably didnt take abels seriously because he thought Abel wass evil.
Dan seemed... a little shaken by what Abel told him, and offhand he didn't dismiss it entirely because Fi then backed up what Abel had said. Dan went to the Twink Territories to confront his mom on her old activities, and has just gotten a little side-tracked.

Tapewolf

No - Fi backed him up.  I think Dan believes that his mother is (or at least, was) evil.  You've also got Aary's report from the Oracles about how her (old) life ended, though precisely how that information was imparted to Dan is unclear.
Finally, the whole current arc appears to have kicked off because Dan went to the Twink Territories to confront his mother about her evil past.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

On a less weighty matter, it seems that Abel and Destania are around the same height. For some reason, I always thought of Destania as being taller than most. (although, I suppose if one can shapeshift, height isn't something locked in stone)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Arcblade

Hmm, evil Destania.  That outfit doesn't really suit her. 

Naldru

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 12, 2009, 11:47:53 AM
On a less weighty matter, it seems that Abel and Destania are around the same height. For some reason, I always thought of Destania as being taller than most. (although, I suppose if one can shapeshift, height isn't something locked in stone)
You have to remember that she managed to pass herself off as Biggs.  So it's quite obvious that her height can change.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Actually, that's probably why. Most of the time we see her in her "base" form, she's standing next to biggs, and consequently appears tall.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Slacker Spice

Quote from: Zedd on March 12, 2009, 03:49:24 AM
Quote from: Jairus on March 12, 2009, 01:44:31 AM

Also...
QuoteI lied!

All there is is Zule!

-Amber
I lol'ed.

*plays the end keys of the piano* They hate you when you do that...

What a lovely singing voice you must have.

And maybe this explains a little of why present-day Abel thinks Dee is evil?

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Tycoon

Time to boggle our minds: Destania was May all along for the sake of stringing along Aniz and put him deeper into his madness.

As to how she managed to simultaneously teach, I suggest that she had a doppelganger fill in.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 12, 2009, 01:32:48 PM
Most of the time we see her in her "base" form, she's standing next to biggs, and consequently appears tall.
And in the panels where she's sitting or standing next to Alexsi, they seem to be fairly close in height.

Incidentally, did anyone else read a non-existent "not" in the middle of Destania's second speech bubble in the top panel? Had to read it a couple of times before I realised what sounded so odd about her statement.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

joshofspam

Is Destania calling this floor HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY FLOOR?

Falina did say that they seem to group in a certain way. Is it their affinity to a certain emotion that usually makes the school group.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

tiggertoo

Destania is certainly straightforward here -- rather creepily so. She's probably correct about Aniz -- at that time, Aniz hadn't been out of SAIA all that many years, and probably was still largely "going by the book". But how he was applying it, why, and to whom was kinda effed up though.

BTW, I forget sometimes how large Fa'lina is. I seem to remember a picture showing Fa'lina in full triwing mode. Would anyone have that handy?

ANTIcarrot

Of course there's always the possibility that she's lying to cause Abel pain and despair.

"Go for the pain! I taught you that!"

So that would now be two old and powerful cubi responsible for the death of his friend? At the very least she might be exaggerating, or claiming credit where none is due.

And why exactly does Fa'Lina allow such things in her academy?
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

tiggertoo

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on March 12, 2009, 05:52:26 PM
And why exactly does Fa'Lina allow such things in her academy?
Short answer: clan politics. Why would a clan with a pain or fear affinity send their kids to a school that taught nothing about their most basic cubi capabilities? So the curriculum must cover the full spectrum of cubi affinities for SAIA (and thus Fa'lina) to get the support of all clans.

Longer answer: Fa'lina's *really* long range plans for the future. By having *all* the cubi children at SAIA, they get exposed to each other, to the wide range of courses, and to all the different ways of life of each clan and the variations of each individual student. Perhaps in hopes of "deprogramming" some of the students a bit from their particular upbringing and clan indoctrination. (At least this is how I understand what she's up to.)

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 12, 2009, 10:32:12 AM
No - Fi backed him up.  I think Dan believes that his mother is (or at least, was) evil.  You've also got Aary's report from the Oracles about how her (old) life ended, though precisely how that information was imparted to Dan is unclear.
Finally, the whole current arc appears to have kicked off because Dan went to the Twink Territories to confront his mother about her evil past.

Mmm, considering 874, I'm not so sure of that:
Fi: Ugh...did you...find your mom?
Dan: No!  But this might be better! *snip* Smacking some baddies is just what I--

And it was Alexsi's flashback that really explained about Destania's change of heart, and consequent starting a new life.

Quote from: SpottedKitty on March 12, 2009, 02:50:08 PM
Incidentally, did anyone else read a non-existent "not" in the middle of Destania's second speech bubble in the top panel? Had to read it a couple of times before I realised what sounded so odd about her statement.
Yep, I made that mistake myself.

Quote from: Tycoon on March 12, 2009, 02:47:41 PM
Time to boggle our minds: Destania was May all along for the sake of stringing along Aniz and put him deeper into his madness.

As to how she managed to simultaneously teach, I suggest that she had a doppelganger fill in.
That would make Dan and Able half-brothers, and Able full-blooded 'Cubi.  Which is not consistant with his appearance.  No, I don't buy it.

Quote from: Royden on March 12, 2009, 05:10:59 AM
Going to have to de-lurk on this one because I just had a thought (and forgive me if it's already been brought up) but this comic reminded me back in #527 when Ink was bugging Abel "Here I was thinking you actually cared about his welfare since he happens to be Edward Ti'Fiona's son..." I was always wondering why would he care about an adventurer...

Could it be because he made Destania stop being evil? I mean we saw back then the comics where she simply said it was her laws to kill Edward and next thing we knew, she was married and starting a new life with Dan's birth... but until now, don't think we've ever had a scope of how... can't beat around the bush, just plain evil she is at this point and time.
Yeah, the gulf between Destinia and Dee is huge.  Though it is largely a matter of changing who she cares about, and how much.  The Dragons are going to regret hauling Dee back into the vendetta by capturing Edward.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: SpottedKitty on March 12, 2009, 02:50:08 PM
(snip)
(snip)

I read it right.  It's an accurate statement about her work and what she thinks of it.  Nothing odd about it.   :kruger 

With regards,
Ted

Tipod

Does anybody besides me really not like Destania? Not in the sense that she's handled poorly or a badly-done character, but in that she just comes off as really vile and despicable?
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."