02/20/09 [DMFA #974] - vowing

Started by Cylonis, February 19, 2009, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cylonis

I love how we're seeing this whole righteous avenger side of Dan in these comics.  :)  The emotion in panel three with his face and the tears...well its what got me to stop lurking and actually post if that's an indication. =p Kria seems to be letting this play out for now regardless of the property damage.  I look forward to how its going to unfold...tho my mouse is going to get worn out clicking the refresh button near update times. =p

Hellcat

Without a doubt she must of killed someone, not just almost killing wildy

M

I didn't notice until you mentioned it, but he is crying the third panel. That, along with the dialogue, makes it a really powerful image.

Good job, Amber. I really liked this one. :)

Jairus

Quote from: Hellcat on February 19, 2009, 11:16:32 PM
12 beings, so yeah.

Dang. Dan is... well... awesome in Vow of Vengeance mode. Scary, but awesome. And it looks like Regina is screwed until Kria steps in, which it looks like she's gonna do.

Kria is, as always, amusing to watch. So, at what point does Lorenda hear all this and come down to see what's going on?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Cylonis

Quote from: Jairus on February 19, 2009, 11:21:35 PM
Kria is, as always, amusing to watch. So, at what point does Lorenda hear all this and come down to see what's going on?

Whenever the Rule of Drama feels it is most appropriate.

Pagan

Oh yeah, he definitely wants to kill her. Dooooo eeeeet, Dan...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tipod

Quote from: Marmonstein on February 19, 2009, 11:17:12 PM
I didn't notice until you mentioned it, but he is crying the third panel

The sissy.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Noone

Kria has a fairly lethargic look to her, and considering how demons view power, I kind of doubt she is going to get involved, at least, if she gets involved it would probably be over property damage and not out of a sense of guardianship over Regina. That might of course change with her life on the line, but I don't really see the two of them as being very close.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Kria has an oddly regretful look on her face. I mean, the whole Demon "Might makes right" philosophy doesn't leave a lot of room for self doubt. The strong do what they like, and the weak suffer what they must. One wonders how much Lorenda has an influence in shaping her mother, since we don't really see signs of this earlier, say, when Kria visited Jyrras and his family.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Sukasa

Well, at the same time if people aren't vowing to destroy her, then she's obviously doing something wrong.  What good is having tons of power if nobody's interested in getting back at you over it?

Then again, it could be that she simply misses the 'antics' that Regina's involved in now, from her point of view.

EDIT: also, maybe it's just me, but when did Dan learn Regina's name?  It seems they knew each other more than we might have thought (or I totally missed something in the archives)

Psy-Kosh

Yikes! I don't think we can really consider "just give her a scare and leave her be" to currently be part of Dan's intentions...

So, new mystery: What was Regina's vow?

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 19, 2009, 11:49:16 PM
So, new mystery: What was Regina's vow?

"Sure I vowed to destroy him and all he loved!"

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 19, 2009, 11:49:16 PM
Yikes! I don't think we can really consider "just give her a scare and leave her be" to currently be part of Dan's intentions...

:mwaha

Quote from: Sukasa on February 19, 2009, 11:44:09 PM
Then again, it could be that she simply misses the 'antics' that Regina's involved in now, from her point of view.

EDIT: also, maybe it's just me, but when did Dan learn Regina's name?  It seems they knew each other more than we might have thought (or I totally missed something in the archives)
She probably still wants to have a fight with him, hehe. Oh, and I think the whole being trusted enough to take advantage of said trust thing requires being on a first-name basis.

Baal Hadad

God, Dan's starting to scare me....   :erk

I didn't realize until I saw this particular comic that Dan has his HEAD WINGS out--he even had them out in the last comic!  What does this mean, Dan...?!?!?

And he may be crying, but does anyone else think he looks like ANIZ there...??

I'm probably one of the few who did not laugh once during this comic....

I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for Regina....

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 19, 2009, 11:53:39 PM

Not even at the fact that Kria seems to think of vows to destroy her like they're love notes?

Lisky

i'm not sure if that's a tear, or a shard of broken glass...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on February 19, 2009, 11:55:34 PM

Not even at the fact that Kria seems to think of vows to destroy her like they're love notes?

Not even.    :cry  Too emotionally distraught.

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on February 19, 2009, 11:58:39 PM

Oh, God, I wish you hadn't said that....  :<

terrycloth

So he's not really a cubi, he's a nendrai?

Cylonis

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on February 19, 2009, 11:58:39 PM

If you look hard enough you can actually see tears in both eyes, not just the side that has the cut, and one tear rolling down his right cheek. 

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: terrycloth on February 20, 2009, 12:10:51 AM

What's a nendrai?

Quote from: Cylonis on February 20, 2009, 12:19:41 AMIf you look hard enough you can actually see tears in both eyes, not just the side that has the cut, and one tear rolling down his right cheek. 

No, that one's blood.

Cylonis

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 20, 2009, 12:21:01 AM
Quote from: terrycloth on February 20, 2009, 12:10:51 AM

What's a nendrai?

Quote from: Cylonis on February 20, 2009, 12:19:41 AMIf you look hard enough you can actually see tears in both eyes, not just the side that has the cut, and one tear rolling down his right cheek. 

No, that one's blood.

The blood is on HIS left cheek.  I was refereeing to his RIGHT cheek, which from our viewpoint is on the LEFT.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Hellcat on February 19, 2009, 11:16:32 PM

Twelve beings, by her own account.  And I bet what really eats at Dan about that is, she used him to give her the opportunity.  Making him her unwitting accomplice.

Nearly being killed by her was just a hazard of his occupation,  but using him to murder others, that is unforgivable.

No wonder he's pulling out all the stops.  It makes perfect sense now that he'd use even his Cubi powers, despite his discomfort with being a Cubi.

At this point it will take intervention or luck to save Regina.  Because I don't see Dan stopping himself.  Fi isn't going to talk him out of this. 

And Amber claims she sucks at drama.   You're better than you think, Amber.

Quote from: Sukasa on February 19, 2009, 11:44:09 PM
Well, at the same time if people aren't vowing to destroy her, then she's obviously doing something wrong.  What good is having tons of power if nobody's interested in getting back at you over it?

I think you've got it with your first statement.

She exploited his trust, remember.  That rather implies that they got past the introduction stage.

I notice that Dan's speech bubbles have gone back to normal.

And in the first panel, if you carefully look at the coloring in Regina's eyes, you can finally distinguish pupils.  Looking back in immediately prior strips, I can see the same effect.  Did I simply miss this or has Amber back applied the effect?

GabrielsThoughts

*poof*

Nice look of pained anger on danny boy

*bamph*
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Mejui

I noticed that this is about the first time I've seen Dan display teeth like those of a real-world feline.

And it's awesome.

Starcat5

No laugh from me, ether. Today's Funny got preempted by a cartload of Epic, and I couldn't be happier. ^_^
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

jeffh4

One more thing to add to the "first time we've seen this in Dan" behaviour column.

Dan vowed to become the best.  That shows alot more ambition than he's evidenced up to now (excluding his happiness at Abel's sword display).  No doubt he's become an accomplished adventurer, but he doesn't come across as the "practice all day" type. 

Jack McSlay

he's ruthlessly damaging columns inside a large mansion. that can't end well.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Kenji

I thought Regina had a black eye at first.

Daymond42

Is it bad that I started singing in my mind "I wanna be.. the very best. Like no one ever waaaass!"?   :kirby