11/17/08 [DMFA #952] - Check and Mate

Started by !KCA, November 17, 2008, 12:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

!KCA

That's a pretty nice back shot of Abel showing his. . .clan mark. . .and also his. . .tail strap. Yes. . .

Jairus

Indeed. And Jyrras seems to be having some trouble cleaning himself up. And his reasons for not knowing how to cook are something I will admit to not having thought about. But the stuff about him building stuff that lasted... very interesting.

Poor snowguys.

Not that I don't mind seeing two of my favorite characters interacting and Jyrras actually able to be in Abel's presence and be somewhat relaxed, but I can't help but wonder where this is going. And how Dan's doing in Exposition Center.

Also, I like the black tips on Jyrras' floured-up hair. I don't know why. It kinda looks a bit like Abel's hair, but it was probably just caused because the tips were long enough to stick out from beneath the bowl.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

senrath

Growing up with 3 sisters, I can empathize a bit with Jyrras on that point.

And I really wanna know what they're making.  Guess I'll just have to wait to find out. :[

superluser

Snowguy is a variant I've not heard.

Or are you supposed to gather pennies for it?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Well I can guess their making a cake right about now

superluser

Quote from: Zedd on November 17, 2008, 01:50:11 AMWell I can guess their making a cake right about now

My guess, given Abel's history, would be cookies (which are classed as biscuits and not cakes).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jer-oh-me

Cookies or Cake? Geeze, hard to tell, I suppose we'll see depending on what they do with what's in the mixing bowl. Also Abel looks pretty slick shirtless. I like Jyrras's new flour face look, though I doubt he's enough of a KISS fan to keep it that way. Though he ought to see himself, that'd be funny I think, aw well.

I'm the oldest of six, two of which are sisters. I can kind of cook. But I probably am only one slip away from flour face.

Anri

I notice Jy is still wearing his giggles... but up on his forehead. Clearly, they did nothing.

Nikki

Poor Jy. Must be hard having that many sisters.

Poor snowguys.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Kaerou

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Dagardo

I'll just assume they're making cookies,seeing as how Abel seems to have a fairly large penchant for cookies. But yeah, If you have six sisters I don't see how you'd be fairly hard pressed to learn how to cook. I can cook, to an extent, but I suppose that's because I only have a one brother, younger but taller, but that's beside the point. I also assume that Jys sisters had some interest in learning to cook, seeing as how he may be a little more hard pressed to learn to cook if they didn't, I don't see why they would refuse to cook for him seeing as how they act around him. Sometimes I wonder what having a sister would be like. Anyway, knowing how to cook, even if you have as much money as Jyrras, isn't a bad thing, cuz, for one, it saves money you can use on other, more important things, because buying a restaurant can't be cheap even if you are rich. I can go on but I'll shut up for now.  But I do wonder what Abel means by snowguys.

Jairus

I thought snowguys was just a term for "snowmen," and they'd keep melting on him. Which just makes me think of Jy bundled up in a blue snow suit as a kid stacking big snowballs on top of each other and he can't get any higher than his own head...

... oh dear. Cuteness overload. Help. :explosion

Though why his sisters would knock their baby brother's snowguys over or something like that is a bit beyond my capacity for thought right now. That seems a bit mean to me.

As for cooking... I am not only the oldest of three siblings, but my parents owned and operated a restaurant for about fifteen years or so, most of that while I was alive. I know how to cook. Not the best, but I do.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

BarGamer

Quote from: Kaerou on November 17, 2008, 02:36:04 AM
Grey haired Jyrass is awesome =)

I second the cuteness.  Even the facial expression reminds me of the improbable-yet-somehow-existing hotness of a certain grey-haired-midget from Bleach.

Nikki

Hitsugaya isn't a midget =< He's a young'n.

Back on topic, i'm going to guess muffins.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on November 17, 2008, 01:27:15 AM

"We are not having an anatomically correct snowman in the front yard!"

Slightly more seriously, they're not snowmen, because, well, Jyrras and Abel aren't men, either. It's an interesting little diversion into the way the language would change...

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2008, 03:14:46 AM
Slightly more seriously, they're not snowmen, because, well, Jyrras and Abel aren't men, either. It's an interesting little diversion into the way the language would change...

Funny, when I first read that I took it as you saying that they weren't male.

I would wonder if it's really a case of the word not being used because they're not men as in human (bleh, I hate the way that sounds) or if it might just be the same as some folks calling a cars storage area either a trunk or a boot.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mowser on November 17, 2008, 08:15:55 AM
I would wonder if it's really a case of the word not being used because they're not men as in human (bleh, I hate the way that sounds) or if it might just be the same as some folks calling a cars storage area either a trunk or a boot.

I'm going with llearch's idea.  I don't know whether it's correct, but I like the idea of the language being subtly different.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

Of course, when Jyrras falls out of that tree, Daniel exclaims "It's raining men!" (too lazy atm to look up the exact strip. But it's the arch where Jyrras is telling Lorenda why he wears glasses.)

And of course, none of this explains what he did for food once he moved out and into his mansion. Probably built a robot or just went to Lost Lake and/or other restaurants a lot.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ghostwish

Last I checked, Mrs. William's isn't a furry herself, so I doubt she'd be using any form of furry 'language'..

.. but geezus.. I had to hit up wikipedia and dictionary.com to figure out what the hell a 'snowguy' was. Snowman. Sadly, the humor of this strip was lost in translation. :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 17, 2008, 09:06:26 AM
And of course, none of this explains what he did for food once he moved out and into his mansion. Probably built a robot or just went to Lost Lake and/or other restaurants a lot.

Did you not read the subtitle?

"Jyrras represents approx 1/5th of the income that Lost Lakes makes on a yearly basis" or words to that effect....

Mao

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 17, 2008, 09:16:16 AM
Last I checked, Mrs. William's isn't a furry herself, so I doubt she'd be using any form of furry 'language'..

.. but geezus.. I had to hit up wikipedia and dictionary.com to figure out what the hell a 'snowguy' was. Snowman. Sadly, the humor of this strip was lost in translation. :<

While she may not be a furry herself, it's quite probable that she's taken the time to think of possible subtle differences in speech between the way we speak and the way the creatures of her world speak.

That said I still think it's a case of 'boot' vs 'trunk'.

Edit:  Tape said it better below. XP

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 17, 2008, 09:16:16 AM
She's already commandeered 'Being' and 'Creature' to have different meanings.  Using alternatives to 'man' is hardly a stretch of the imagination.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anri

Quote from: superluser on November 17, 2008, 01:27:15 AM

Oh I can't believe I missed this! ;3

No, I doubt Jy's snowguys tried to blow up parliment. Deathrays... maybe.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2008, 09:29:41 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 17, 2008, 09:06:26 AM

Did you not read the subtitle?

"Jyrras represents approx 1/5th of the income that Lost Lakes makes on a yearly basis" or words to that effect....

It says "probably" which means that it isn't a sure thing. Besides, if he shows up once a year and buys somethign really, really expensive, that could make a fifth of Lost Lake's income and still not explain what Jyrras does for food on a day to day basis :P But yeah, he probably eats out a lot.

Have we ever gotten any information as to what sort sorts of solid food are available at Lost Lake? All the strips I can remember only have people ordering various sorts of drinks, mostly tea, coffee, and a few varieties of alcoholic beverages. I for one would be interested to know what sorts of cooking styles are popular in Furrae.

(But then again, I'm weird and interested in all sorts of trivia that other people would likely roll their eyes at me for)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's an inn. There's rooms for rent.

This implies that they supply food, although what may depend on who's in the kitchen, and how well they cook...

The other alternative is pub food, which is generally cheap and easy food cooked passably well for the feeding of the masses. Stews and other things that tend to survive long periods of time simmering on a low heat without ruining the flavour.

AmigaDragon

Snowmen/snowguys are usually made gender-neutral unless you start putting clothes on them, usually at most hat, scarf and mittens (which we never did), anatomically ambiguous. Living now in far northern Minnesota prevents most thoughts of even attempting to make them (and forts), as the snow is non-sticky 99% of the time. The best we can hope for is for drifts to fuse together after a few days and carefully cut and move blocks to build with, and even that, not often feasible. Or wait for a couple days of near/above freezing days to bring the snow up to a non-dry state (again, not often).

Quote from: Jairus on November 17, 2008, 02:52:15 AM
Though why his sisters would knock their baby brother's snowguys over or something like that is a bit beyond my capacity for thought right now. That seems a bit mean to me.

As for cooking... I am not only the oldest of three siblings, but my parents owned and operated a restaurant for about fifteen years or so, most of that while I was alive. I know how to cook. Not the best, but I do.
Come on, siblings are made for tormenting each other! :mowwink As eldest of 4 I never got the older sister treatment. Of course, fourteen years between youngest brother and baby sis puts quite a buffer on some activities. Unrelated to having older/younger siblings, I can cook well enough (no, not merely heating prepackaged meals) to feed myself when alone. In fact, Mom and Grandma sometimes make me fix fried rice or quesadillas when hungry for them.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Jean-Philippe Rameau - Pygmalion: Overture (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Mao

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 17, 2008, 03:03:59 PM

Snowmen/snowguys are usually made gender-neutral unless you start putting clothes on them, usually at most hat, scarf and mittens (which we never did), anatomically ambiguous. Living now in far northern Minnesota prevents most thoughts of even attempting to make them (and forts), as the snow is non-sticky 99% of the time. The best we can hope for is for drifts to fuse together after a few days and carefully cut and move blocks to build with, and even that, not often feasible. Or wait for a couple days of near/above freezing days to bring the snow up to a non-dry state (again, not often).

I was looking more at the part about Able and Jyrras not being 'men' .  In the sense that men can be used interchangeably with human sometimes.  When I read it, I was thinking of it in terms of gender, rather than race, which is what I think was actually intended.

Don

Heh, I semi-learned to cook..mainly just random dishes I personally liked..being the youngest of three, one being my sister who I never really got to know during younger years and my brother, who I despise almost entirely, I was alone most times because friends couldn't often get to my house..So I basically was with my mother watching and helping her with daily tasks, cooking, cleaning, etc...So I have a bit of experience.

I also lost many snow guys to my hell spawn of a brother, he used to take his cross bow and shoot arrows through them till they were reduced to their original foundation...I think I would've rathered six sisters over my one brother..whom still torments me to this very day.  Anyways..leaving now to make food or whatever..

Edit:

Gah, forgot to comment on the actual strip  :B  I like the flour color in Jyrras' hair, white looks good on him despite what caused the coloring. Makes his eyes look shinier too I guess.

Lego3400

Zee Goggles! Zey do nothing!  >:3
Thats about all I have to say on this one.

Howl

I thought he wore glasses, not goggles.

Oh well, I want to see if this is going anywhere.