9/10/2008 [DMFA #936] Like mother like son.

Started by Ghostwish, September 09, 2008, 10:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwish

Well, first thing I have to ask is what is up with the bizarre title of this one? Especially considering the fact it shows how much Dan takes after BOTH his parents.  :mowhappy

'Course, opens up a new can of worms.. makes me wonder what happened between that flashback and Dest meeting Edward. ;) Or if that was even the correct timeframe? Maybe she's talking about the dragons?

edit: yall could've pointed out I got the date typoed. G thanks. XD

GabrielsThoughts

is this the thread for today's comic?

More than just whose wings? what wings? I'm confuseled by the page entirely
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Naldru

Here is how I see it.  What you are seeing in the memory of Fi is an argument between Fa'lina and Destania.  Fi feels that Dan is using much the same language as Destania did previously.  However, as Ghostwish says, the question is who Destania is talking about.  Some possibilities:

The Dragons, who she feels are a threat to her family or cubi in general.

Adventurers, who try to kill cubi.

Aniz's clan, for whatever action they took against Fa'lina and SAIA

Of course, the group which she is threatening to destroy, every last one of them, could be something else entirely.  However, notice that Fa'lina does not appear to agree with the argument.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

GabrielsThoughts

well, that clears up some things but the layout had me thinking fi was another entity prior to becoming a Warp- Aci
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Dagardo

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 09, 2008, 11:35:04 PM
well, that clears up some things but the layout had me thinking fi was another entity prior to becoming a Warp- Aci

Honestly , that I don't see as working out.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 09, 2008, 11:12:00 PM
is this the thread for today's comic?

Yeah, I was confused if this was about today's comic also. But all I have to say about the title is, Amber can name it what she feels like, cause after all, what goes on in her head is none of our business.  :3 And as for the title of this thread, It helps to be a bit more specific.

Starcat5

How the heck did ~I~ end up starting the new topic? Where is everyone, anyway?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Zedd

So makes you wonder the true power of Acii's

!KCA

I get the impression that Destania is talking about dragons. Although, that might make her something of a hypocrite considering her attitude towards beings. Perhaps not. Can you imagine Destania as a hypocrite?

Azlan

Quote from: !KCA on September 10, 2008, 12:59:08 AM
Can you imagine Destania as a hypocrite?

No, neveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.  Not even a little.  :rolleyes
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Kaerou

I suddenly feel really sorry for Fa'lina.

She's omniscient, she can see the results of what they're going to try before they even attempt it.. and she always looks so sad for the suffering that will undouptedly be wrought.

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Dagardo

Quote from: Azlan on September 10, 2008, 01:31:10 AM
Quote from: !KCA on September 10, 2008, 12:59:08 AM
Can you imagine Destania as a hypocrite?

You're being sarcastic right?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on September 10, 2008, 02:18:03 AM
Quote from: Azlan on September 10, 2008, 01:31:10 AM
You're being sarcastic right?

No, neveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.  Not even a little.  :-]

... Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dagardo

Heh, real funny. Although why am I  not surprised? Also llearch, I have a question. What you look like when you're not covered by that box? And also when I asked if people could forget how to cry I was being serious.

Aleolus

Well, I think we already knew he inherited his mothers temperment, mostly >.>  So this strip really comes as no surprise.

Don't worry, Fii, I have that problem a lot, think to hard, stomache ache comes.  Happens all the time.  Best way to prevent it is to not think at all.  Makes life really easy, too <.<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on September 10, 2008, 04:05:16 AM
Heh, real funny. Although why am I  not surprised? Also llearch, I have a question. What you look like when you're not covered by that box? And also when I asked if people could forget how to cry I was being serious.

When I'm not covered by that box, I'm not here. I thought everyone knew that - I am the box.

And no, you can't forget how to cry. Your eyes require moisture to lubricate them, and your tear ducts are what provide that moisture. The only way you can get out of that is literally not having any eyes; not just being blind, but totally missing the eyes entirely. You might not cry for years, but your eyes are continually being wetted by exactly the same mechanism, every time you blink.

Dagardo

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2008, 04:37:19 AM
Quote from: Dagardo on September 10, 2008, 04:05:16 AM

When I'm not covered by that box, I'm not here. I thought everyone knew that - I am the box.

And no, you can't forget how to cry. Your eyes require moisture to lubricate them, and your tear ducts are what provide that moisture. The only way you can get out of that is literally not having any eyes; not just being blind, but totally missing the eyes entirely. You might not cry for years, but your eyes are continually being wetted by exactly the same mechanism, every time you blink.

Well I suppose now everyone does know, and thanks for the info. I guess people can only feel like they forgot how to cry. Thatch what I feel like right now, although I kinda wish I was crying cause it may help me feel better like my mom says.

Tapewolf

Wow.  That is an impressive strip.  My money is on her talking about the Dragons (the 'whole working-together-with-Biggs-family' line makes me think that).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tycoon

Great strip, and I loved the title throwback to comic #303.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Tycoon on September 10, 2008, 06:19:34 AM

page 303

It is help to give the link even if it is in the archive....

There is a small difference between Mother and Son... Dan just wants to stop the threat/villian, and Destania seems to want to kill the villians and all thier species.  Still, Fi sees, he would stop at nothing to stop the threat. even kill.  We know, Dan will talk after a good fight.

Fi 's flashback, we see though his eyes.  And Fa'lina knows that this mentality was what started and Almost end the Cubi race in the Clan wars.

PBH

Lucheek

I think Dee is talking about the dragons. It seems like the only group she would have so much hate for.

...and I don't get why Fi is worried. One minute, he's saying "kill them before they kill you" and now he's upset because....Dan might kill someone?

Alondro

Fi suddenly remembered that little exchange he overheard and now realizes that his argument to Dan is much like Destania's argument to Fa'Lina.

Still, anyone willing to raise DP again isn't going to stop without a fight.  Dan will have to kill someone, unless these are wussy bad guys who are only pseudo-bad.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

KelseyPotter

I believe you meant comic #296. But why quibble over unimportant details? :D

I don't know what group Dee was talking about, but I have a feeling that this conversation is why she left SAIA in the first place, and that's why Fa'Lina looks so sad--she knows what heartbreak Dee is setting herself up for: Edward getting captured by dragons, having to leave her children, and Lord only knows what else will be coming for her.

Quote from: Lucheek on September 10, 2008, 07:05:33 AM
...and I don't get why Fi is worried. One minute, he's saying "kill them before they kill you" and now he's upset because....Dan might kill someone?

When your entire existance has been spent with 'cubi, you get a rather one-sided view of the world, just as you do when you are raised by adventurers or innkeepers. Dan is talking about killing a villain, which he doesn't want to do, but which he feels he HAS to do for the greater good, but he's using the same language Dee used to talk about what essentially boils down to genocide, which she might or might not want to do (from this brief snippet, and what little we know of Destania, it's kind of hard to tell) but which, again, she feels she has no choice but to do for the greater good. I don't think Fi expected an adventurer to have the same motivations as a 'cubi.

It's like Abel said about the media focusing on "hot sexy seductress 'cubi who steal men's souls in their sleep" rather than the ones who feed off of laughter and happiness. I very much doubt that 'cubi books about adventurers focus on adventurers who do what they do out of a genuine want to protect, not only those they love, but the whole world; they probably instead focus on the adventurer who slaughters an entire race of helpless creatures just for the free ale and beer-wenches. Makes it easier to hate your enemy if you think they're only in it "for glory or for conquest", as the Sage of Monticello once put it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: KelseyPotter on September 10, 2008, 08:05:21 AM
I believe you meant comic #296. But why quibble over unimportant details? :D

"I guess he did get more than just her wings."

... What's that got to do with 296? Surely panel 2, paragraph 2 of 303 is somewhat more applicable?

"The only thing I ever inherited from my Mom was her wings, and that doesn't make me a-"

*cough*

Ghostwish

Been pondering something I can't quite put my finger on.. Look at Destenia's outfit. I know I've seen it before, and I think that'd put a timeframe on this panel.

Mao

My respect for Dee is currently higher than that of her son.  Now that's a woman!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on September 10, 2008, 07:05:33 AM
I think Dee is talking about the dragons. It seems like the only group she would have so much hate for.

Also, the line "I am not going to lay back and just let them just kill anyone they want!" probably does not apply to adventurers, since they often seem to lose the fight anyway.  (There's also the fact that she didn't talk Dan out of his career choice, which surely would have been trivial to do).

It has just occurred to me that Dee was probably born at the height of the wars... if so, that might go a long way to explaining her outlook.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 10, 2008, 08:46:19 AM
It has just occurred to me that Dee was probably born at the height of the wars... if so, that might go a long way to explaining her outlook.

Naw, I'm gonna have to doubt that one. The clans were against each other too, remember? Because of that, I doubt Destenia of Pain would be talking to Fa'Lina, last of whatever her element is.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ghostwish on September 10, 2008, 09:01:01 AM
Naw, I'm gonna have to doubt that one. The clans were against each other too, remember?
Rumour has it that the dragons deliberately started the war to try and wipe the 'Cubi out.  Though AFAIK that is just a rumour.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 10, 2008, 09:06:42 AM
Quote from: Ghostwish on September 10, 2008, 09:01:01 AM
Naw, I'm gonna have to doubt that one. The clans were against each other too, remember?
Rumour has it that the dragons deliberately started the war to try and wipe the 'Cubi out.  Though AFAIK that is just a rumour.

Although a very good one! I could definitely see that happening.. Unlike those idiotic rumors that Aniz is Edward. That one sinks so well it'd make the titanic jealous. XD