04/09/08 [Hybrid #4] - Undead

Started by Jack McSlay, April 09, 2008, 06:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

I'm surprised to get here and not find a topic for the current hybrid genetics...

I'm gonna say, I don't care much for an undead cubi, demon or something, but an undead dragon sounds awesome
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 09, 2008, 06:53:05 AM
I'm gonna say, I don't care much for an undead cubi, demon or something, but an undead dragon sounds awesome

Unfortunately for you, this comic pretty much establishes that a dragon is not very likely to go undead. :P You'll probably need a horde of undead to tackle the dragon and hold it down while biting it until it dies, because I just can't see a dragon dying from poisoning.

Rakala

Hmm..... there seems to be no way to make a half undead. This is fortunate because it would suck to be technically alive but still have your flesh rot away slowly.

GabrielsThoughts

I blame dawn of the dead for undead babies...what kind of life would that be like anyway, wouldn't being permanently infantile affect the higher brain functions and cause retardation?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 09, 2008, 10:42:43 AM
Dracoliches are fun. </sarcasm>

Say it to our resident bone dragon. >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 09, 2008, 11:25:14 AM
Say it to our resident bone dragon. >:3

We have a resident Bone Dragon?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm not sure, who did you have in mind?

e_voyager

it can be doe it's just not likely. a vorpal blade and a sleeping dragon and a undead more than willing to die might do it. slit the dragons neck while its sleep in it's being like form then  bite it and hang on bring the injury until destroyed. it has a fail probability of around 90% but it might just work. but this puts a damper on Epyon who's and undead mythos that's mascaraing as the living through continuous magic use to prevent decay and a few other tricks. His goal to find life or true death so he might try that.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on April 09, 2008, 12:06:54 PM
it can be doe it's just not likely. a vorpal blade and a sleeping dragon and a undead more than willing to die might do it.

My understanding from the Demonology is that Dragons are roughly as powerful as the Fae.  To be honest, it strikes me as rather unlikely that they'd be that powerful yet still need to sleep.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 09, 2008, 12:12:25 PM
My understanding from the Demonology is that Dragons are roughly as powerful as the Fae.  To be honest, it strikes me as rather unlikely that they'd be that powerful yet still need to sleep.

Well, if some of them would take a form of a Being, then they might sleep - not because they really need sleep, but to avoid standing out. Then again, them may only pretend to sleep, so it would still be impossible to sneak up on them.

Amber Williams

Some dragons are powerful as Fae. Not all are though and many (especially younger) ones fall into the same habits that make them just as vulnerable as other things.

However, most all dragons in Furrae are rather vain and likely would be too proud to handle Undeath...thus if there have been any cases of Undead dragons, it was short lived due to them "re-killing" themselves rather than stand the indignation.  Thats the main problem with Undead...they sort of keep their old living personalities and a good chunk of them cannot handle the mental stress that comes with the reality one is dead.  Especially among creatures that were powerful in life...since you do actually lose a bit of power and ability when you go Undead.  Most can't imagine being that way and thus come into quick contact with something crushing their skulls willingly.

e_voyager

Powerful yes. but they are still mortal creatures of a type and i have often said that even the eternal need to sleep. there are needs that go beyond the physical. as fore where i go the whole eternal need sleep i believe i read in in For love of Evil book six of the incarnation of immortality. eve if your body has grown beyond the need for sleep you mind will probably still cry out for it form time to time. besides i think that Bursai
might  beg to differ on the dragon no sleep thing. i know it varies form world to wold but as i said you never now and in the hour it took me to write and find the references for this it would surprise me if now one else has posted.

now i see amber beat me to the punch and since it's her world she would know. so now i ask Are you dragons long lived as they are still mortal?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Alondro

Meh, sleep is needed for biological creatures only.

That's why techies never sleep.  They are one with the machine!   :U

Seriously, there are still quite a number of ongoing sleep studies to find out why the brain needs sleep.  All they are sure of is that even sleep-deprived mice have terrible physiological abnormalities after a while and die quickly.

It's thought that perhaps it is a vital repair cycle for heavily active regions of the brain, and a phase in which the backload of active but unneccesary synaptic potentials are inhibited, thus reducing the metabolic strain on the brain as a whole.

No sleep = buildup of excess active synapses, build-up pf wastes, build-up of neuronal damage (no time to repair oxidative stress damage), constant high-level metabolic demand contributes to faster damage accumulation.

I would think an immortal with 'powers' would be operating on a rather different level.  Even if they are biologically-based, their cells could not still be using the same processes as ours, since our cellular machinery abviously ages and dies.  If they needed to 'sleep' at all, it would be very different than what we think of.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lucheek

Quote from: e_voyager on April 09, 2008, 01:09:41 PM
Powerful yes. but they are still mortal creatures of a type and i have often said that even the eternal need to sleep. there are needs that go beyond the physical. as fore where i go the whole eternal need sleep i believe i read in in For love of Evil book six of the incarnation of immortality. eve if your body has grown beyond the need for sleep you mind will probably still cry out for it form time to time. besides i think that Bursai
might  beg to differ on the dragon no sleep thing. i know it varies form world to wold but as i said you never now and in the hour it took me to write and find the references for this it would surprise me if now one else has posted.

now i see amber beat me to the punch and since it's her world she would know. so now i ask Are you dragons long lived as they are still mortal?

Speaking of Bursai, when Fluffy gets to dragons, doesn't that mean he is answering that question? xD

I agree- an undead dragon would be cool looking, but probaly (as Amber said) not long-lasting.

I imagine if somebody found a way to kill a cubi into an undead,they wouldn't be able to shapeshift anymore, but have their headwings and back-wing tentacles permenantly out. Maybe with skulls for backwing-heads.

Awesome.

MT Hazard

The need to sleep is possibly part psychological, can you imagine day after day of constant awareness ? Even if we didn't physical need sleep I'd imagine we still would occasionally just to take a break.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Zedd

Fresnor

You said they have to die to become undead...  What happens with those that are only 'mostly' dead?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Fresnor on April 09, 2008, 06:01:35 PM
You said they have to die to become undead...  What happens with those that are only 'mostly' dead?

They object when you go through their pockets and look for loose change.

e_voyager

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 09, 2008, 04:45:39 PM
The need to sleep is possibly part psychological, can you imagine day after day of constant awareness ? Even if we didn't physical need sleep I'd imagine we still would occasionally just to take a break.

that is what i was tying to say but some times my wandering brained get in the way of making sense.

Jack McSlay

the only reason I see for any creature for not sleeping or at least rest to recover from physical fatigue is if the given person knows a very good recover spell. let's see if the average demon or dragon can stand fighing a horde of 2000 angry adventurers, knights and the like, for 36 hours straight
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Darkmoon

People need to title their threads properly.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Brunhidden

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 09, 2008, 01:01:49 PM
Stuff

reading all that made me think that at least half of those who survive being undead-ed for longer then a week actually set out looking for an undead and then forced them to bite.

which raises the problem of having a large number of undead LLARPers and goths, which the rest of the undead are probably embarrassed about too
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 09, 2008, 06:03:41 PM
Quote from: Fresnor on April 09, 2008, 06:01:35 PM

They object when you go through their pockets and look for loose change.

Naw... that would still take a miracle.

I wonder if they're available in flavours other than chocolate... >:]

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Lucheek

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 10, 2008, 02:22:10 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on April 09, 2008, 01:01:49 PM
Stuff

reading all that made me think that at least half of those who survive being undead-ed for longer then a week actually set out looking for an undead and then forced them to bite.

which raises the problem of having a large number of undead LLARPers and goths, which the rest of the undead are probably embarrassed about too

Maybe not. Beings could probaly be overtaken by a undead easily, if caught offguard. And all that do not kill themselves may not be goth or LLARPers. They could be simply glad they have the chance to live again, even if the look...freaky. Or, maybe they have unfinished business to deal with. Or osmething

Amber Williams

Well the key thing to note with Undead is that being bitten by one is not fatal, not does it mean that you will become an Undead.  To become Undead, you basically need to get infected and then die by some means within a short period of time afterwards.  In theory you could be bitten, and then two days later die in a bus crash...and become undead. Until then though, you function as a perfectly normal whatever and there is no symptoms or effects.

The Undead are more a magical varient of zombie-ism...and that magic is sort of fickle. It

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 10, 2008, 09:16:38 AM

The Undead are more a magical varient of zombie-ism...and that magic is sort of fickle. It

*Charles stares at the unfinished sentence... just one word.. 'it'... what does it mean?  Did Amber nearly reveal something she was not meant to?  Did something grab her away from the computer before she could finish?!  Is this some reference to a Stephen King-esque demonic clown creature that lurks around the corner waiting to devour us all?!!!  WHAT DOES 'IT' MEAN!!!!???   D:

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

e_voyager

can the magic that produced undead react with other magic present in the victims such as a curse on the family line?

Amber Williams

I dont believe in family line curses, so they dont really exist in DMFA.

[edit note]
When you become Undead, you basically die. So unless there is something that prevents someone from dying, there is no reason why it would conflict with becomming Undead. Not to mention being Undead tends to overwrite most magic that already exists. So a good number of creatures get nerfed pretty severe.