03/30/08 [Hybrids #1] - Five halves make one character?

Started by Jadian, March 30, 2008, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadian

Poor Fluffy...having to deal with the curious people...at least he/she/it is equiped with a sufficiently long pointy stick in case people get out of line with more questions as the arc goes along~

That being said, yes Amber, you should be taking it easy.  Maybe sleep?  >.>;

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

Yes, what they said. Get some freaking rest.

Health > Comics
:boogie

e_voyager

amber must recover. else ember will suffer.

also will i prefer to have an robotic form is a comic like ambers i'd be happy just not to be a mary sue. power is okay but it does not need to be the end all be all of a character. thats why i love tiger pit traps and sudden death spikes
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

PurpleCheeseLlama

I love how in this strip the backgrounds gradually get darker...poor Fluffy

Brunhidden

i am still reminded of all those comics ago where its revealed someone who tickled a dragon on a dare had kids with that dragon

think- if the dragon was the male, and the being mother had a tum full of baby dragons cause you don't go halfsies on that specific relationship.....

hopefully this arc will forever end the whole 'how is dan a cubi and not a half cubi? what about alexi? is wildy half demon? if dan and matilda got it on what kind of freakbabies would pop out?' fiasco of pondering
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Naldru

Just wondering if you ever read "Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue Paper" by Larry Niven, discussing the possibilities of a liaison between Superman (Clark Kent) and Lois Lane.  One of the situations that was mentioned was the possible result if the baby decided to kick or use X-ray vision.

It could also be that dragons are normal-sized in infancy, like the kids in Abel's elementary school class.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Lucheek

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Naldru on March 30, 2008, 10:23:23 AM
Just wondering if you ever read "Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue Paper" by Larry Niven, discussing the possibilities of a liaison between Superman (Clark Kent) and Lois Lane.  One of the situations that was mentioned was the possible result if the baby decided to kick or use X-ray vision.

OT, I know, but isn't the end result "Absolutely Nothing" because the SuperBaby would need to draw strength from sunlight (and because the uterus is probably dark as hell, the baby is effectively normal)?

And even then, in most Superman-canon the powers don't kick in until closer to puberty I thought...

Ren Gaulen

I also think that Amber should take a break to properly recover. Her demonstration of willpower and devotion to her fans by updating in her present state is truly admirable, but she should not push herself too hard. I think it would be fine if she does not update on Monday and Wednesday next week - recovery must take sufficient time. Maybe we could put up a couple of guest strips.

Ryan_Galen

I'm with everyone else Amber. Thank you for the comic, and starting ground on something we've been waiting on for about forever, but please get some sleep so you can meet with immigration officials and not get kicked out of Canada.

Now, onto speculation...

We know for a fact that half fae can't exist. Sure, the fae can breed, but I remember reading somewhere on one of the forums (most likely old rather then new) that fae/mortal kids have slightly off fur colors but are otherwise nonmagical. Whether this was meant to be completely nonmagical or just not fae magical was unclear, and is really the only questionable part of the statement. From what Mab's story arc revealed about the faes' life cycle, this makes perfect sense.

Two, based on Jyrras's family makeup, we know that as far as species are concerned, halfbreeds don't exist. Species in this case meaning cats and dogs rather then beings and creatures. Based on observation, and a casual comment made by Abel, we can assume that species seems to follow gender, with sons taking after their fathers, and daughters taking after their mothers. If this assumption is correct, that's that one the cats and the dogs of reproduction. If the assumption is wrong, and Jyrras's family makeup is just coincidence, then there is the possibility of latent genes coming in with future generations. Are the son's of Jyrras going to have the equal chance of being a kangaroo rat as a kangaroo? This mini ark will hopefully answer the question.

As for being creature hybrids... I have a feeling that it's all or nothing. It's just a feeling though, since Dan's opinion of himself had to be justified on some level. Maybe there's intentional misinformation by certain creatures (angels and cubi more so then demons) to make beings think such a thing is possible in order to give their young and inexperienced children more of a chance at life. Or... maybe I'm just wrong. Once again, this ark will tell.

Honestly, with all this breeding between races, Amber's comic world is one of the few setting's I've run across where the term race rather then species appears to honestly apply. Only the mere, insectis, and gryphons really appear to be separate species instead of part of this larger race family, and in the case of the gryphon appearances might be deceiving. Angels, demons, cubi and phoenixes all appear to be just different races of whatever species beings are. Undead are of course dead beings. Only the dragons and fae "abuse" the "highly magical creatures can breed with anything" stunt. Mythos... are probably mixed between the two.

And so we wait... for all our race/species questions to be answered.

...oh, and Amber? Stay away from this thread and get some sleep. You've started on the mini ark, so you have at least a week minimum before we'll let you come up with any answers. So get some sleep, that's an order from your fans.

e_voyager

remember lorenda. her mother's a mare and her father was a bull but she has traits of both.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

AnizInDisguise

This made me giggle.

On a side note, Amber, you really should get more rest.

Wanderer

...Amber, there are only two reasons for you to get out of bed. One would be to go to the bathroom, and the other would be to go to the hospital because your condition really does not sound good at ALL.

Making a comic for us does not fit in there anywhere.

AndersW

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on March 30, 2008, 10:55:34 AM
long talk on breeding.

I think you should take a look at the DMFA Wiki on Crossbreeding.  A lot of stuff has already been figured out, or clarified by Amber.

Also the second link at the bottom of the wiki page seems to be broken.

Ryan_Galen

Quote from: e_voyager on March 30, 2008, 11:31:55 AM
remember lorenda. her mother's a mare and her father was a bull but she has traits of both.

Actually, Lorenda is all bull. ...um, I mean all cow. Yes, she is a demon cow, but I was already keeping the heredity of cat or dog separate from the heredity of being or creature.

So, basically, your valid point discounts my dad->son, mother->daughter theory that was developed from Jyrras's family. Meaning the question of the noninherited parent's traits being possibly recessive really is a valid question now.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to be lurking about the forum with a large bat and rag soaked in chloroform just in case Amber thinks all these demands that she get some sleep are requests. Sure, it would only be knocking out her avatar, but let her try wasting valuable sleeping time with forum posts without her avatar.

[edit=1:22, still while composing]
...the wiki finally got off the ground? Well gee, don't I know feel silly.
[/edit]

Zedd

Sid

Quote from: AndersW on March 30, 2008, 01:09:33 PM
Also the second link at the bottom of the wiki page seems to be broken.

How odd. Going by Amber's contribs, I see quite a few crossbreeding-related posts in that era (going by thread numbers), but none that quite fit (judging by a quick browse). Also (going by posting numbers), Amber had zero visible activity in that time. There is a visible jump between Nov 5, 2006 (#57671) and Nov 13, 2006 (60167).

I'd guess the thread got deleted or moved into a non-visible forum. Any of our resident admins got a clue and/or a good memory?
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

No idea. It's not moved, so it might have been ba-leted. Sorry...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

celelorien

AMBER GO TO BED!  :< dead ambers are no good for comics.. rigor mortis makes it hard to draw curved lines.  :zombiekun2

as to the breeding thing, all the mentions of cats and dogs makes me think of Treasure Planet, where at the end Dr. Doppler (a dog) and the Captain (can't remember her name but she was a cat) had babies, and as with Jyrras' family, the three little girls were cats and the little boy was a dog.  :3  though being/creature inheritance would definitely have to be separate, as while Dan resembles his father more physically, he IS an Incubus, from his mother's side.  :)

Naldru

Amber needs to  :sleep .  However, I feel that we are  :deadhorse .  I only see two ways of getting Amber to sleep.  The first is to arrange a concert by Jigglypuff and the second is for us all to attempt a Svengali attack in unison ("Look into my eyes.  You are getting sleepy").  However, I fear that the only way that she is going to sleep is if they take her unconscious body to the hospital and give her sleeping pills.  We don't want that.  Amber, please get some sleep!  According to the books :reading, the vertigo :ill is your body telling you to sleep.  It's what Fa'lina and Destania would want.

When you get well, you can get back to work  :work and we can all celebrate :disco :villagepeople :funkluigi2  :mikelo2 :funkmario1  :rock and praise your greatness  :judges .
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Kenji

Alondro

*Charline woots!*  All right!  Interspecies-sex!  NOW it's getting good!   :bat  +   :januscat  =   :kittydevious

And so forth.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Aleolus

Oi.  You know Amber, all of us would be happier if you were to take care of yourself, healthwise, and had a less strict and rigorous updating scheduled for the comic.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kenji on March 30, 2008, 06:03:27 PM
Is Fluffy giving us the finger?

You mean in the second to last panel? Yes, yes, I think she does. Of course it is impossible to tell if she has fingers at all... No, wait, she is pointing at us with a finger in the second panel.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 30, 2008, 09:55:22 AM
hopefully this arc will forever end the whole 'how is dan a cubi and not a half cubi? what about alexi? is wildy half demon? if dan and matilda got it on what kind of freakbabies would pop out?' fiasco of pondering

I thought most all of those Were answered...

Q. How is dan a cubi and not a half cubi?
Because There aare no half Cubi, you either are or are not..

What about alexi?
They don't have the same Biological Mom, Alexi's mom was an Amazon.

Is wildy half demon?
I thought wildy was supposed to be a were...  >:3

If dan and matilda got it on what kind of freakbabies would pop out?
Cubi Mythos.. I think... I recall reading that is possible..

!KCA

Quote from: Aurawyn on March 30, 2008, 08:00:13 PM
If dan and matilda got it on what kind of freakbabies would pop out?
Cubi Mythos.. I think... I recall reading that is possible..

Cubi with mythos. . .enhancements. Apparently, this is the origin of tauric cubi.

Fuyudenki

Woo, hybrid genetics!

Aurawyn, I suspect the arc is for the benefit of having all the information in an "official" public place, instead of the Wiki and scattered throughout the forum.

And Amber, if you're still complaining about dizziness during Monday's update, I'm going to start a "Keep Amber in Bed" fund.  Either don't be dizzy, or don't update.

If you plow through, we don't have to wait for an update.  If you take care of yourself, you'll be around much longer to provide more DMFA goodness.  I don't know about the other fans, but I'm willing to wait all month for an update if it means a healthy Amber.

Eibborn

Oh Amber. *facepalm*

...Well, we appreciate your devotion to what you do, although it may just kill you.
/kicks the internet over

Timothy

Wait ... Fluffy has a tail ?  :erk
I never noticed and always thought "it" was just a ball of ... well .. fluff.

Anyway:

IF condition(Amber) == ILL
   GOTO BED;

:BED Get(Well);
*If in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout*