10/06/07 [Abel #101] - Again

Started by AndersW, October 05, 2007, 11:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

I think he hearing his mom's thoughts in the last panel.

Stygian

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Cogidubnus

Poor little Abel. Whatever that was between him and his mother, I'm betting it's not going to give him the warm and fuzzies.

Zedd

Well now...This is probley "cutting" it close as they say...Dont get much worse here or does it? >:3

Azraelle

She's given up on trying to stop whatever's going to happen, and accepted Abel's fate.  I'm thinking it's Abel's thoughts in the last panel (before, when Abel "heard" other peoples' thoughts, they were a different style).

AndersW

I'm talking about the very last panel, in the lower right where is says "I'm sorry"

techmaster-glitch

She...turned her head away. She turned away...from her son.
That...is just horrible... :(

Stygian

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 05, 2007, 11:49:29 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss...! >:3

Angel

Oh man.

Does May blame Abel partially for all that's happened? Or does she blame herself for bringing this kind of chaos near her? And does it really matter to Abel at this point?  :cry

As for you, Stygian... quit trying to lighten the mood. Wait till morning.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Regal

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 05, 2007, 11:49:29 PM

Sad, but not horrible. What is she supposed to do? She's always been there for him, but both she and Abel may be realizing she can't save him.

Ah, the Friday night DMFA depression.  :mowsad

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Black_angel on October 06, 2007, 12:02:05 AM
Oh man.

Does May blame Abel partially for all that's happened?
Yes.

Quote from: Black_angel on October 06, 2007, 12:02:05 AM
As for you, Stygian... quit trying to lighten the mood. Wait till morning.
Seconded.

Quote from: Regal on October 06, 2007, 12:23:47 AM
Sad, but not horrible. What is she supposed to do? She's always been there for him, but both she and Abel may be realizing she can't save him.
Maybe partially, but not quite. See above.

Sunblink

Quote from: Stygian on October 05, 2007, 11:33:06 PM
Oh. Oh my.

Oh my.

>:3

My inner storyteller agrees with you, Stygian. >:3

My inner spectator, however, is just feeling so so sorry for Abel. :<

I'm a little torn about the implications of May's stare, though--she seems defeated and hurt in the third panel, maybe a little exhausted, which can mean that she's either blaming Abel for all the ache and pain which has occurred to her deteriorating life, can't bear to look at what will happen next, or has just given up. I'm starting to suspect it's a mixture of numbers one and three.

Bah. My speculation would be better but I r tired. :<

~Keaton the Black Jackal

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 06, 2007, 12:29:34 AM
I'm starting to suspect it's a mixture of numbers one and three.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
My thoughts exactly, but I think it's mostly one.

Clicky

I think the 'I'm sorry' is referring to the comic where Abel promised to his mom that he wouldn't be a monster.
Here's the link: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_18.php

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Clicky on October 06, 2007, 12:52:15 AM
I think the 'I'm sorry' is referring to the comic where Abel promised to his mom that he wouldn't be a monster.
Wow...I didn't think of that, but it just reinforces that May turned away from her son, from what I think is blame.

Rithm Alfortele

It's Abel speaking/thinking...
if you look... he's already starting to say the "I'm"...

...and now, May has hurt him perhaps more than Aniz ever could.

I think Amber deserves the award for "Most Realistically Dramatic Comic Ever"

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Zachski on October 06, 2007, 01:20:54 AM
...and now, May has hurt him perhaps more than Aniz ever could.
Yes, and that is without a doubt, must be at least one of the reasons he's so messed up in the future.

Props to Amber.
This is probably the single saddest comic so far in all of Abel's Story. :(

Goatmon

Ow, man.  Just.....ow.  :/

Quote from: Clicky on October 06, 2007, 12:52:15 AM

That's just what I was thinking.  I'd have posted that page if you hadn't already. 

Reaver225

'Tis not unexpected, but it's still saddening. Admittedly, there a number of things that could have made May done that, most understandable. I can't precisely place what emotion she has on her face. Reading off other peoples comments and adding my own bit:

1: Could be emotionally drained (not literally, but in shock after seeing Cid->Aniz and Henya chunks) and has stopped processing stuff (looks at Abel, fails to think of anything, stomach starts hurting again)

2: Possibly despairing of her own faliure towards not being able to protect Abel - could produce that 'lack of emotion' look, and the 'I'm Sorry' (assuming that's her thoughts... big assumption)

3: Worst case: "Do Not Want". That'd be pretty scarring for Abel, even if she changes her mind later - it's not unlikely this is the last time they'll see each other alive..

O'course, it'd look the same to Abel if he isn't able to read minds (Abel... Able... Abel... Bah, that name and abilities are going to turn me spellings round) and he may just assume Option 3 with the Op.2 bit of faliure of 'Mom' to help him.

If he CAN read minds, 1. and 2. might ease his eventual thoughts a bit on the matter of May.

In the long run, of course.
Short run, mental breakdown etc possible.

rabid_fox

That strip worked extremely well themed to the jaunty little number "The Boy With The Bubblegun" by Tom McRae. I tend to take a few minutes to read the stripes these days cause Amber's getting into the region where there's always a few more things to notice if you look hard enough.

As a side point, my mother used to do the exact same thing to me when I forgot to tidy my room.

Oh dear.

Illusionist

This comic was so Jack, I half expected Drip to show up and start raping people.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Illusionist on October 06, 2007, 05:21:57 AM
This comic was so Jack, I half expected Drip to show up and start raping people.

Not one of the regular ones, but.

*takes a shot*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

rt

:U OMG! Thye killed Abel! ... ......

(Some one had to say it)

Other than that I think I'll go join the umm .. err ..  oh my groud

Illusionist

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 06, 2007, 07:20:43 AM
Quote from: Illusionist on October 06, 2007, 05:21:57 AM

Not one of the regular ones, but.

*takes a shot*

Sorry, did I miss something? Something involving drinking?

Naldru

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 06, 2007, 01:23:53 AM
Props to Amber.

What I find even sadder is that you'll probably be able to say the same thing about the next one.  (And probably the one after that.)

If Amber had drawn something like this in an art class in the high school my children went to, she'd have been scheduled for an instant trip to the school psychiatrist to check for suicidal tendencies.

Regarding May's expression, I remember a time when my son was very young, and he managed to get a cut on his chin.  At the emergency room, the doctor asked me hold his head still while he inserted stitches.  I held him still, but I had to turn my head away because I couldn't stand the sight of his bleeding chin.  That feeling was what May's expression reminded me of.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Arcalane

Awww, and here I was hoping he'd puke on Aniz' shoes. :[

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 06, 2007, 01:23:53 AM
Props to Amber.

Yep, this is a pretty depressing strip, although personally I feel the scene where Devin dies while Abel hears his thoughts was one of the worst.

Quote from: Naldru on October 06, 2007, 08:08:41 AM
What I find even sadder is that you'll probably be able to say the same thing about the next one.
Rumour has it that Abel's backstory is a pleasantly warming tale compared to Fa'Lina's  :erk

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheDXM

Alondro

*Charline laughs and laughs and laughs*  This was the funniest one yet!  The sad, teary eyes, the looks of despair!  Amber really knows how to amuse a cubi!  Hee hee hee!   >:3

*Charles erfs*  Abel is a wuss, though.  In my early 20's I was ready for battle at every moment.  Of course, walking through Camden, NJ every day kinda leads to that as a survival reflex.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif