25/8/7 Abel 96: Regards to the cleaner

Started by Fex, August 25, 2007, 01:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Quote from: Caswin on August 26, 2007, 06:23:48 PM
That bit always confused me.  What qualifies as a Being in the first place?  How can you tell?  Is it just by virtue of not being anything else?

*Charline grins*  Beings have a chewy nougat center.   >:3  *nom nom nom*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Azlan

Quote from: Alondro on August 27, 2007, 11:03:06 AM

*Charline grins*  Beings have a chewy nougat center.   >:3  *nom nom nom*

Tastes like plantains.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Psy-Kosh

Two things: first, as far as tentacle heads being a clan trait... I'm not sure it requires a direct link to the clan leader (ie, neccesitating the clan leader, well, existing...) However, there's definately a cannon source indicating a link.

From Dan's cast page: http://www.missmab.com/Cast/dan.php

"Quirks/Fun Facts: Dan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads. While unknown to Dan, this is actually a clan trait and if Dan had paid any attention, he would discover that he is from a rather high and powerful clan."

Also, I think one of the strips may have mentioned that tentacle head shapes, like clan markings, are a definate way to determine what clan a cubi's from... but I may be misremembering.

As far as judging cubi, well... the fact seems to be that cubi society condones the whole soul sucking/torturing/etc thing.

It's not the situation like "some happen to do these evil things, and it's unnaceptable", it's "it's a perfectly acceptable thing, but it's also acceptable not to do it."

As has been pointed out, once the society supports things the courses in torture as a perfectly reasonable thing that many may want to study, well, it's reasonable to judge the society (not necessarally the species, but the society certainly) in a negative way.

Amber Williams

I will say that yes and no about tentacle heads being a clan-leader thing.

Cause really...any skilled cubi who can change their shape can likely use a bit of extra energy into bluffing some sort of headlike appendages.  However, clans that have a leader that still is alive and kicking will have this as a natural trait...meaning they don't need to train or put any energy into making them.

The average Cubi tend to have regular tentacles, some with hands.  Considering how there aren't a whole lot of clan-leaders still out and about, the head tentacles are more rare than expected.

Which is also why it is personally amusing to see so many fan-cubi characters sporting tentacle heads.  But I always chalk that up to it looks cooler and peeps like to be special.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 04:43:09 AM
I will say that yes and no about tentacle heads being a clan-leader thing.

Cause really...any skilled cubi who can change their shape can likely use a bit of extra energy into bluffing some sort of headlike appendages.  However, clans that have a leader that still is alive and kicking will have this as a natural trait...meaning they don't need to train or put any energy into making them.

The average Cubi tend to have regular tentacles, some with hands.  Considering how there aren't a whole lot of clan-leaders still out and about, the head tentacles are more rare than expected.

Which is also why it is personally amusing to see so many fan-cubi characters sporting tentacle heads.  But I always chalk that up to it looks cooler and peeps like to be special.

yep, the cooler a character/race is, the more fanmade mary/gary-sues are born. Worth a giggle all the way.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 04:43:09 AM

This is intended to be a sort of 'comparing notes' thing (he says trying desperately not to make it sound like some kind of 'Yeah, I called it!' post)

But yeah, that's interesting.  When I began to look seriously at designing a fan-clan I wasn't sure which way it would swing so I took the view that heads were unusual and therefore the de-facto head of the clan (not a tri-wing, I hasten to add, but an insane genius) decided they looked cool and devised a method of faking them across his living descendants.
I don't know whether the heads on Cyra Clan can actually see - IIRC llearch proposed some kind of sixth sense - but decided that whichever way it went in canon, Daryil should be able to make it work for his .

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

In the case of Cyra's clan (aka: Dans) head tentacles, they do in fact provide extra sight and extra awareness as if they were actual heads.  One of the reasons Dan is so easily thrown off by them is that at some points suddenly having a whole new sensory can set one off balance.  It'd probably be like any of us spontaneously developing heat-vision ontop our regular vision.

But yeah.  It's not impossible for non-clan leader clans (and note when I say clan leader...I am implying the tri-wingers) to do the head-tentacles...its just a lot more energy consuming since they have to manually supply the energy to work them. And unlike simply making your colours change, adding limbs that can actually do more than harden and grapple but can actually see/taste/smell/react individually/etc is actually very taxing.

Basically put: The only time you'd normally see head-tentacles is on a Cubi who's clan founder is still alive and kicking(and thus supplying to their clanlings the energy needed to have such a feat naturally), or a very well-trained and pretty powerful Cubi who managed to learn it.  However in the latter, the effects are temporary and their wings will almost always revert to their default tendril-style.

Either way...head tentacles tend to equal trouble. As any Cubi who has the power to wield them...be it through clan founder or just pure training...is not really a Cubi most want to tangle with.

:tmyk

Zedd

Thanks for the info Amber..Now I dont feel like such a blockhead

Amber Williams

Don't worry Zedd.  I'll get that feeling back for you soon enough. :3

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 05:42:36 AM
In the case of Cyra's clan (aka: Dans) head tentacles, they do in fact provide extra sight and extra awareness as if they were actual heads.  One of the reasons Dan is so easily thrown off by them is that at some points suddenly having a whole new sensory can set one off balance.  It'd probably be like any of us spontaneously developing heat-vision ontop our regular vision.
It'd be like having a whole heap of little DV cameras plugged into your brain, from what i can gather, Dan's used to just seeing from his own two eyeballs, having a fair few extra pairs would through some folks off, it's a wonder he hasn't puked because of the sheer disorientation that it'd cause..  >:3 like adding a few extra eyestalks to a snail, if you'd pardon the analogy.
But yeah.  It's not impossible for non-clan leader clans (and note when I say clan leader...I am implying the tri-wingers) to do the head-tentacles...its just a lot more energy consuming since they have to manually supply the energy to work them. And unlike simply making your colours change, adding limbs that can actually do more than harden and grapple but can actually see/taste/smell/react individually/etc is actually very taxing.
that would go without saying.
Basically put: The only time you'd normally see head-tentacles is on a Cubi who's clan founder is still alive and kicking(and thus supplying to their clanlings the energy needed to have such a feat naturally), or a very well-trained and pretty powerful Cubi who managed to learn it.  However in the latter, the effects are temporary and their wings will almost always revert to their default tendril-style.

Either way...head tentacles tend to equal trouble. As any Cubi who has the power to wield them...be it through clan founder or just pure training...is not really a Cubi most want to tangle with.
:tmyk
That would explain the overall respect/fear folks have for Fa'Lina.

i do love this kind of insight, it's fun!

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 05:47:51 AM
Don't worry Zedd.  I'll get that feeling back for you soon enough. :3
Makes me wonder. Do mind that some clains with have a dark secret?

Tapewolf

Eyes in the back of your head might be a better analogy, but yes.  It would take a while to adjust to.  [Nnk.. Turnsky seems to have said it already]

And as Zedd said, thanks for the info.  I'll pass on the blockhead thing if you don't mind though  >:3

One of the things I'm vaguely curious about is how this came to be.  Did Cyra just have a brainwave one day and think "Like... yeah!  Dragon heads on the tentacles!  That'll be so cool, man!"

And if they were retrofitted to existing members, as opposed to only appearing in new births, I can imagine the entire clan freaking out like Dan.

RobbieThe1st

*deleted* *obsolete*

edit again:

it seems part wasn't obsolete:

What *is* involved with making a new clan? - I always figured it was like one 'cubi gets together with a few friends(and/or family), perhaps weave a few spells, and declare themselves a clan, however, from what you are saying, it seems to be much much harder than that.
So, what does it take? A *lot* of power? Some special genetic trait? I am curious...

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 30, 2007, 05:59:26 AM
Eyes in the back of your head might be a better analogy, but yes.  It would take a while to adjust to.  [Nnk.. Turnsky seems to have said it already]

And as Zedd said, thanks for the info.  I'll pass on the blockhead thing if you don't mind though  >:3

One of the things I'm vaguely curious about is how this came to be.  Did Cyra just have a brainwave one day and think "Like... yeah!  Dragon heads on the tentacles!  That'll be so cool, man!"

And if they were retrofitted to existing members, as opposed to only appearing in new births, I can imagine the entire clan freaking out like Dan.
You pass on the blockhead thing or you suffer the wrath of black mombas near the workdesk  ;)

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 30, 2007, 05:59:26 AM
One of the things I'm vaguely curious about is how this came to be.  Did Cyra just have a brainwave one day and think "Yeah!  Dragon heads on the tentacles!  That'll be cool!"

Your question is kind of confusing. The clan-leaders don't really think anything...the tentacle wings are more of a subconcious side-effect than the main boon of having a clan-founder.  And generally, most Cubi who are about to have a clan-founder are generally prepared for the upcoming event.  It's not like the third wings pop out some random Tuesday afternoon while eating breakfast and suddenly there is a new clan.

Keep in mind also that Dan knows about diddly and squat about Cubi upbringing.  Had he been raised in a similar Cubi-centric upbringing like Aaryanna, he likely would know full well what to expect and prepare for it.

Quote from: Zedd on August 30, 2007, 05:54:10 AM
Makes me wonder. Do mind that some clains with have a dark secret?

Do what mind?  Your wording is also confusing me...or maybe I'm just tired.

Sugah.  You're dealing with Cubi.  Odds are 80% of them have dark secrets if not more.

Quote from: Turnsky on August 30, 2007, 05:50:16 AM

In terms of powerhouses in DMFA, Fa'Lina is definately one of the biggun's. 

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on August 30, 2007, 06:15:47 AM
What *is* involved with making a new clan? - I always figured it was like one 'cubi gets together with a few friends(and/or family), perhaps weave a few spells, and declare themselves a clan, however, from what you are saying, it seems to be much much harder than that.
So, what does it take? A *lot* of power? Some special genetic trait? I am curious...

I'm sorry.  That would be telling...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 06:18:30 AM
Your question is kind of confusing. The clan-leaders don't really think anything...the tentacle wings are more of a subconcious side-effect than the main boon of having a clan-founder.  And generally, most Cubi who are about to have a clan-founder are generally prepared for the upcoming event.  It's not like the third wings pop out some random Tuesday afternoon while eating breakfast and suddenly there is a new clan.

Okay, to clarify, I was thinking about the tentacle-heads in particular.  Two assumptions:

(1) I'm assuming that they appeared after Cyra's ascension to tri-wing status - in other words, assuming that Cyra didn't have the heads as soon as his/her tentacles appeared at 25 or whatever

(2) I'm also assuming that they don't appear as part of the tri-wing 'upgrade' process

If both these assumptions are true, there must have come a point where Cyra decided to add them.  I'm curious about what prompted them to come up with the idea.

**EDIT**
I guess I'm also assuming that you telling us won't compromise future plotlines.  Obviously you don't have to reply if it would :P

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 30, 2007, 06:28:16 AM
(1) I'm assuming that they appeared after Cyra's ascension to tri-wing status - in other words, assuming that Cyra didn't have the heads as soon as his/her tentacles appeared at 25 or whatever

Correct...if you change the "after" to "during"

(2) I'm also assuming that they don't appear as part of the tri-wing 'upgrade' process

Incorrect

I guess I'm also assuming that you telling us won't compromise future plotlines.  Obviously you don't have to reply if it would :P

The only thing I'm compromising is the possibility of putting my foot in my mouth if months/years later I alter something to make it mesh better. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 06:36:14 AM
Incorrect

Oho.  Now that gives me some interesting ideas to play with  >:3

QuoteThe only thing I'm compromising is the possibility of putting my foot in my mouth if months/years later I alter something to make it mesh better. :B
I dunno... with a world this flexible there's nearly always a way to make it fit :P

Thanks for the info, by the way...

Zedd

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 30, 2007, 06:36:14 AM
The only thing I'm compromising is the possibility of putting my foot in my mouth if months/years later I alter something to make it mesh better. :B

no offense intended, but I think your readers are used to canon rules changing every so often by now.  I seem to recall Kria used to be about 5 years younger than she is, now.(and am glad I never brought it up until the change was made)

At this point, it's the art and story we're interested in.  If you have to suddenly declare that there's a race that can kill Fae without the involved Fae's consent, then I don't think it'll really bother anybody, as long as it's good for the story.

Azlan

I'm glad that's all cleared up, mostly... and it's nice to see it hasn't changed much since I grilled it out of you before.

Quote from: Turnsky on August 30, 2007, 05:50:16 AM

In terms of powerhouses in DMFA, Fa'Lina is definately one of the biggun's. 

I still want to know who the other really powerful cubi are... because I wanna use my Marty Sue character to beat them all up... yeah...

Robbie, try liquor, I hear it works in getting info out of her... I won't know, the one time I was there, I got ditched...

Turnsky

Quote from: Azlan on August 30, 2007, 12:17:58 PM
I'm glad that's all cleared up, mostly... and it's nice to see it hasn't changed much since I grilled it out of you before.

so, what does grilled wiku worm taste like?  :P

Azlan

Quote from: Turnsky on August 30, 2007, 12:51:04 PM

Thae'Lith wing feathers... yum.

Turnsky

Quote from: Azlan on August 30, 2007, 12:54:34 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on August 30, 2007, 12:51:04 PM

Thae'Lith wing feathers... yum.

so kinda like bacon-wrapped chicken, then?.. cool.

Psy-Kosh

From this we learn that either something about how some of the clans formed in the past will become significant in a non trivial way in the comic, or that we will see the formation of a new clan at some point. :)

Unless that idea gets clanceled. *ducks* (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 30, 2007, 05:04:16 AM
I don't know whether the heads on Cyra Clan can actually see - IIRC llearch proposed some kind of sixth sense - but decided that whichever way it went in canon, Daryil should be able to make it work for his .

Ah... did I?

Hmm. I was probably thinking that, well, if they've got eyes, then they can see. Which means you get all sorts of other effects, like more-than-stereoscopic vision, which leads back to Dan in the Janus Bond thread being a good shot, etc etc...

However, the most likely point i would have been discussing or thinking about would be Sid's story, with the blind Cubi. In -that- case, being able to sense via taste of the tentacle heads, as well as smell of his own head, makes sense. Which works out to -sort of- like a sixth sense, in a way, I guess. OTOH, he already -has- the equivalent of a sixth sense, what with the usual blind person's high reliance on his other senses, so it's a bit of a wash...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*Charline hmms*  Seems that there's some info about clan founders that has some important bearing on the future!  Aaaaand, since I'm a good cubi I won't tell all the things I obviously know because I'm a cubi and therefore know everything about everything!   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif