[#786, 05/11/07] Oh Those Crazy, Crazy Backstories...

Started by Sunblink, May 10, 2007, 09:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

When it comes to Fae, you just KNOW that a backstory is going to be wacky and sporadic. I wonder why this Queen Nutmeg had made Mab leave the Fae Kingdom in the first place. I also wonder if we're going to take more of a look at Mab's parents after their brief cameo during a flashback (hate those) in the SAIA arc.

Oh, and would you look at that! Albanion's mane-patterning is back! Oh happy day!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Ralanost

I am surprised I am getting in so quick on this thread! :eager  Exposition indeed.  Also...who is nutmeg? :erk  That isn't ringing any bells.  Mab got kicked out of fae kingdom?!   :<

EDIT: Nutmeg is Albanion's mate I take it?

stiletto

Bah, beat me to it by a minute. Decagons. And Nutmeg was mentioned by Mab in the tag team wallpaper war thingy.

If you look closely, you see his hair colors are now reversed. So I guess Albanion's hair, uh... you know, I can't even think of a word for it. Does it change with a flow, or does it flash, like those neon signs?

Poor Jyrras, if it wasn't for his hair, I wouldn't even know he's there...

Zorro

Faerie Alex

Nutmeg is the queen of the Fae realm. See here.

This nixes my theory that Mab's mom was Queen Nutmeg.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Kenji

Albanion's hair looks like flowing watery giraffe patterns. |3

Regal

Anybody else might hold a grudge at that. With Mab, who knows?

stiletto

Yea, now that you mention it, I don't see "Mab" and "pissed" being very fitting together.

nikename2

Now thats just cold. First the queen gets Mab exiled, then she wants the soul of her Mom and Dad? No dice......for some reason I don't think Mab will take that lying down.  :shifty

techmaster-glitch

Wow, Amber updated this one reeeaaally early :B. Anywho, like modelincard said, this completely scratches the "Mab's parents are royalty" theory... though this still leaves us wondering why the arc is called "All hail Queen Mab".

Quote from: stiletto on May 10, 2007, 09:46:01 PM
Yea, now that you mention it, I don't see "Mab" and "pissed" being very fitting together.
Oh, Mab can get pissed, alright

Quote from: Xeksue on May 10, 2007, 09:48:16 PM
Now thats just cold. First the queen gets Mab exiled, then she wants the soul of her Mom and Dad? No dice......for some reason I don't think Mab will take that lying down.  :shifty
Yeah, no wonder Albanion is sounds doubtful..... damn, Nutmeg, that's just not right...

Rambon

O.o wowz  :mowdizzy boy how do thous back storys sneak up on you...

superluser

Aargh!  Plot dump strikes for 3D6!

Honestly, I don't mind plot dump, from either a stylistic or technical standpoint, but for some reason, these two strips contain just a little bit too much information per square inch, and it's running out of my ears.

Quote from: stiletto on May 10, 2007, 09:46:01 PMI don't see "Mab" and "pissed" being very fitting together.

Perhaps not, but I imagine it would be interesting to see her after a few pints.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 10, 2007, 09:53:54 PMthough this still leaves us wondering why the arc is called "All hail Queen Mab".

Well, Nutmeg would have to offer Mab something very valuable to get that soul...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Azlan

Heh, Albanion switched his hand... forearm coloration too, what a wacky sort of fellow.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Kenji

Quote from: Azlan on May 10, 2007, 10:07:47 PM
Heh, Albanion switched his hand... forearm coloration too, what a wacky sort of fellow.

Oh you're just jealous cause he has patterns. :3

superluser

Quote from: Kenji on May 10, 2007, 10:12:18 PMOh you're just jealous cause he has patterns. :3

I think Azlan could, if he wanted to.  Speaking of Azlan, who is the family friend?  Neni and Azlan are the only other named fae that I can think of right now.

Nino

Quote from: Azlan on May 10, 2007, 10:07:47 PM

And spots

Azlan

Quote from: Kenji on May 10, 2007, 10:12:18 PM

Oh you're just jealous cause he has patterns. :3

I can have patterns too, but I'll have to commission a patch for that.

Quote from: superluser on May 10, 2007, 10:25:39 PM

Speaking of Azlan, who is the family friend?  Neni and Azlan are the only other named fae that I can think of right now.

Not all mentioned need be already named you know... peeps do have other relationships that do not involve already seen, named or hinted types.   :U

With only 2,438,165 Fae in existence, it is likely Azzie knows her dad, but it is doubtful of any kind of family friendship.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on May 10, 2007, 10:36:36 PMNot all mentioned need be already named you know... peeps do have other relationships that do not involve already seen, named or hinted types.   :U

Yup.  But that basically narrows it down to you/Neni or a new character.  The others--Albanion, Mab and Nutmeg--don't seem likely.

I'm just trying to figure out where the story is going.  A soul is valuable.  Giving that to a new character with whom the readers don't have any emotional connection is a risky venture, but if Amber can pull it off, she might earn the title of Iron Writer.

nikename2

Hmmm, friends of the family.....

Well Fa'lina is an old/new friend of Mab.... >:3

Actually this can mean that any friend of Mab is a friend of the family, so basically it can be any character Mab is a friend of, a new character, or some plot device that causes the soul to not go to a friend.

Mabye it was more meant as a will?

"In the event that I suddenly decide to die, I want my beloved daughter Mab to ensure that my soul go to a good friend of the family."

It wouldn't explain why her mother wouldn't also have one, or if she did the kingdom clearly doesn't honor it(Nutmeg), but will honor the fathers'. (Possible love interest between Mab's dad and the Queen? Settling old scores?) I don't think Amber has nearly gone deep enough yet into this, she has plenty of options.  ;)

Fuyudenki

I don't think Neni and Azlan in the comic particularly want a kid yet.  Doesn't seem the style.

I imagine Albanion's hair (and spots, apparently) colors flow like water.  Having seen the effect on computer graphics(animated texture, applied to an object by Camera space.  Simple to do, using the right graphics engine), I know it looks pretty cool.

[edit]stupid removed.[/edit]

GabrielsThoughts

What will happen when the fae learn about the mows? for me the highlight in the eyes indicates they have souls too.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Zedd

Those clever fae...Tricky and yet...Slow get to the point types...

RJ

Oh, I never noticed that about Albanion's hooves before...

Zaon

http://missmab.com/DLoads/DMFA_Wallpaper20_640.jpg
I don't know if Neni is even a fae so I dont think Neni and Azlan will get mabs father
hmmm also I think the friend is a fae so that rules out all non-Fae
and maybe Queen Nutmeg will offer Mab the title as Queen and free travel between the fae realm and Furrae in offer for the soul of Mab's mother

Gildedtongue

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 10, 2007, 09:53:54 PMthough this still leaves us wondering why the arc is called "All hail Queen Mab".

A return to Mab's nomenclaturic roots?

King Of Hearts

She takes over the kingdom in exchange of the soul!

or she starts an armed resistance group dedicated to ruling the world!

Viva La Revolucion!

thegayhare

For some reason now I'm seeing a giant Mab Mecha with missle pods and a lazer cannon

techmaster-glitch

Gildedtongue

But, hey, think of it this way, we went 378 comics from the inkling of the event to the explanation.  Or, possible explanation.

Cheese Foxlee

Mab and Nutmeg are characters taken form Shakespeare's plays,  Fairies if I remember correctly, but they weren't in the same play. Heck they weren't even in the genre; one was in a poem spoke by Mercruscio, in Romeo in Juliet; a tragedy, and the other was a lesser character in A Midsummer's Night Dream, a Comedy.

Now I feel like a nerd for knowing all that.