05/03/07 Abel's Story [85] There it is

Started by AndersW, May 03, 2007, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

There is his clan mark, and he killed Cid.

Kill him.

Tapewolf

So Abel's father killed his mother's husband.  Would that make Abel a bastard?  Or does Furrae not really have such a concept?

**EDIT**
And:
How did he hide the clanmark?  He doesn't go to sleep with the bracers, surely.
Since he's the same clan as Abel, he's definitely the father and May is definitely the mother.  So what the hell is the deal with the wings?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alan Garou

That magnificent bastard. He's been acting all this time. Kill him. Now.

Silverfoxr

but hes a cute bastard at least :D
:cvheart :cvheart

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:32:35 AMSo Abel's father killed his mother's husband.  Would that make Abel a bastard?

Er... Abel *has* a father.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:32:35 AMHow did he hide the clanmark?  He doesn't go to sleep with the bracers, surely.
Since he's the same clan as Abel, he's definitely the father and May is definitely the mother. 

Yeah.  Something doesn't make sense.  In the early strips, he wrapped his wrists, and he surely didn't sleep with that.  He might be able to sleep with them on, but he'd have to take them off from time to time.  When washing hands, for example.  Damp fur closed up for hours (let alone years) would stink to high heaven

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:32:35 AMSo what the hell is the deal with the wings?

Remove the shirt.  THEN the wings  It's not a difficult concept, Tapewolf.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 08:47:21 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:32:35 AMSo Abel's father killed his mother's husband.  Would that make Abel a bastard?
Er... Abel *has* a father.
Yes, but his biological father wasn't married to his biological mother when he was born.  Although given the possibility of substitution in Furrae, they may have a different definition.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:32:35 AMSo what the hell is the deal with the wings?
Remove the shirt.  THEN the wings  It's not a difficult concept, Tapewolf.
Not the backwings - the bat-wings which Abel has while he does not.  Unless the backwings are totally different to the headwings, a 'Cubi configuration we have not seen thus far.

Quote from: AndersW on May 03, 2007, 08:31:12 AM
There is his clan mark, and he killed Cid.Kill him.
Unless he knocked May up by stealth, I don't think we've seen Cid.  Ever.  So we don't know what he was like - for all we know he was an even worse asshole than Aniz...

Alondro

*Charline chuckles*  Fur-coloring.  Magic may not hide a clan marking, but simple paint or dye will do the job.  I would use that, but my marking is in a place not usually seen in public.  *blinks at the stares*  What?  Oh I see!  It's on my upper right thigh, ya pervs!  ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:52:45 AMYes, but his biological father wasn't married to his biological mother when he was born.  Although given the possibility of substitution in Furrae, they may have a different definition.

If what Aniz says is true, then by now, they should be married by common law.  Perhaps he killed Cid before they got married, in which case, Abel would be perfectly legitimate.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:52:45 AMNot the backwings - the bat-wings which Abel has while he does not.  Unless the backwings are totally different to the headwings, a 'Cubi configuration we have not seen thus far.

Note also that Abel's wing color doesn't match Aniz's.  The gene for bat/feathery might likewise be inherited from either parent.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 08:52:45 AMUnless he knocked May up by stealth, I don't think we've seen Cid.  Ever.  So we don't know what he was like - for all we know he was an even worse asshole than Aniz...

Something's really not right.  Winking, sticking out his tongue and pointing to his clan mark?  It doesn't make sense.  I don't see why Aniz even bothered pointing out his clan mark, unless it's a fake.  I don't see why he bothered to tell May that he killed Cid.  I don't see why he told them that `cubi can hide their headwings.  He's giving away all of his secrets, and he's breaking something like a dozen of the Evil Overlord rules.

6.)  I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.
7.)  When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."
18.) I will not have a son. Although his laughably under-planned attempt to usurp power would easily fail, it would provide a fatal distraction at a crucial point in time.
35.) I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic. Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.

And the clincher:

78.) I will not tell my Legions of Terror "And he must be taken alive!" The command will be "And try to take him alive if it is reasonably practical."

He wants Abel to survive, or else he would have killed him years ago.  So he's going to have to kill both Hennya and May to keep it a secret, all the while keeping Abel alive.  This is going to be difficult.  At least, difficult enough that I don't think that he would be giving away all of his secrets.

Edit: PREDICTION!  Abel will meet Kria in the mainline before he meets her again in Abel's Story.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 09:38:30 AM
Something's really not right.  Winking, sticking out his tongue and pointing to his clan mark?  It doesn't make sense.

Damn straight.  That frame is probably the single weirdest part of the entire episode.  Aside from the fact that he smacked May up and killed Cid, I'd say he's being friendly.  Of course he might simply have got high on all the emotions floating around (fear, pain, confusion etc).

Again, I'm starting to wonder if May is a succubus - probably because what we're seeing just doesn't make sense  :erk

**EDIT**
Is he winking and gesturing at Abel?  Because he adores his son but hates his 'wife'?

techmaster-glitch

I doubt Aniz is lying about any of this, but as far as reasons go, I'm voting for "he's a criminaly insane son-of-a-b*tch"

Quote from: AndersW on May 03, 2007, 08:31:12 AM
There is his clan mark, and he killed Cid.

Kill him.

Quote from: Kettle on May 03, 2007, 08:42:37 AM

*BAM*

i.hate.him

Quote from: Alan Garou on May 03, 2007, 08:44:07 AM
That magnificent bastard. He's been acting all this time. Kill him. Now.

I'll contribute to this "poll" of sorts.
KILL THE F@%&ING B*ST*RD.
Anyone else want to add? Let's find out just how many forumites want to see Aniz dead!

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 09:52:45 AM
Something's really not right.  Winking, sticking out his tongue and pointing to his clan mark?  It doesn't make sense.

Damn straight.  That frame is probably the single weirdest part of the entire episode.  Aside from the fact that he smacked May up and killed Cid, I'd say he's being friendly.  Of course he might simply have got high on all the emotions floating around (fear, pain, confusion etc).

Again, I'm starting to wonder if May is a succubus - probably because what we're seeing just doesn't make sense  :erk

**EDIT**
Is he winking and gesturing at Abel?  Because he adores his son but hates his 'wife'?

Or it could simply be that Aniz is a giant jerk who decided to act all playful even as he shreds both his son's and his wife's world to pieces. Classic evil villain: one who acts boisterous even while committing unscrupulous deeds and as he unveils his evil evil plan.

However, if Aniz was really Abel's father, I'm still confused as to how Abel was able to inherit some of "Cid's" attributes: the stripe marking the underside of his tail, the size of the spots on his forearms, and the shape of the giant marking covering his chest (in how it dips down).

Aniz, you royal jerkface. Something tells me that May and Hennya won't get out of this encounter alive.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
PS: Oh yeah, and I'm also going to hop on the F^&* Aniz bandwagon. And I don't mean that 'F%^&' in a literal sense, either. He isn't THAT cute for me to forget the fact he hit May and is likely going to do a lot more damage mentally and physically.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2007, 10:58:54 AM
[Aniz, you royal jerkface. Something tells me that May and Hennya won't get out of this encounter alive.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Unfortunatly, that's the vibe I'm getting, too. MORE UBER TRAGEDY! D: 'A'

Falcarthum

"Fantasy & Reality are opposed sides of the same coin."
"Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity."

<== Yappity by Silverfox

Tapewolf

Quote from: Falcarthum on May 03, 2007, 11:09:21 AM

I still say that should be added that as an emoticon...

As for wanting him dead, I'd like to hear his side of the story first.  I'll admit he seems to be thoroughly evil - and in all likelihood he probably is - but most people said the same about Devin, too.

Regal

Maybe all of this is a sick practical joke to him. Kill his enemy, knock up his wife and make her unknowingly raise a cubi child fathered by her husband's murderer. As has been mentioned before, 20+ years is nothing to a cubi. And the reason he's acting so arrogant now is he knows there is nothing they can do about it. He's the most powerful being in the room. He may not even kill May. He might get more enjoyment leaving her to her misery.

Aleolus

Allow me to postulate a third possibility, possibly playing Devil's Advocate.  Perhaps Aniz killed Cid, then caught a flash of Cid's last thoughts about his wife, and in a moment of un-cubi-like compassion, decided to look after her in Cid's place.  Then, possibly, during the years that Aniz was playing the part of Cid, he genuinely fell for her, which is why he is now telling the secrets, knowing that he doesn't have to hide from her anymore.  I'm not sure what he plans to do with Hennya, though.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 11:12:38 AMAs for wanting him dead, I'd like to hear his side of the story first.  I'll admit he seems to be thoroughly evil - and in all likelihood he probably is - but most people said the same about Devin, too.

Unlike Devin, however, Aniz killed someone. He claimed to have killed the "real" Cid, and he cracked his wife's nose. Devin acted incredibly juvenile and tormented Abel in his childhood, but he never killed anyone.

Quote from: AleolusAllow me to postulate a third possibility, possibly playing Devil's Advocate.  Perhaps Aniz killed Cid, then caught a flash of Cid's last thoughts about his wife, and in a moment of un-cubi-like compassion, decided to look after her in Cid's place.  Then, possibly, during the years that Aniz was playing the part of Cid, he genuinely fell for her, which is why he is now telling the secrets, knowing that he doesn't have to hide from her anymore.  I'm not sure what he plans to do with Hennya, though.

But then why did he hit May if he really cared for her?

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Kenji

Quote from: Silverfoxr on May 03, 2007, 08:46:49 AM
but hes a cute bastard at least :D
:cvheart :cvheart

*snickers* Now he just needs a thought balloon of ulterior motives. :3

Aleolus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2007, 11:17:24 AMBut then why did he hit May if he really cared for her?
~Keaton the Black Jackal

Possibly a reversion to a cubi's natural, violent nature.  I'm not sure, it's just a possibility.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2007, 11:17:24 AM
Unlike Devin, however, Aniz killed someone. He claimed to have killed the "real" Cid, and he cracked his wife's nose. Devin acted incredibly juvenile and tormented Abel in his childhood, but he never killed anyone.
Nah.  Devin was an adventurer, so he's most likely killed a load of people in his time.  He took down an Angel for one.

Cid too - for all we know Aniz' attack was self-defence.

Fuyudenki

Honestly, I'm going to go contrary and say I like Aniz already.  I absolutely love his opening line for this comic.

By the way, does his behavior seem familiar?  I think we know where Abel got his "I'm a jerk, but I'm a nice jerk" personality from.

[snip]

Something's really not right.  Winking, sticking out his tongue and pointing to his clan mark?  It doesn't make sense.  I don't see why Aniz even bothered pointing out his clan mark, unless it's a fake.  I don't see why he bothered to tell May that he killed Cid.  I don't see why he told them that `cubi can hide their headwings.  He's giving away all of his secrets, and he's breaking something like a dozen of the Evil Overlord rules.

6.)  I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.
7.)  When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."
18.) I will not have a son. Although his laughably under-planned attempt to usurp power would easily fail, it would provide a fatal distraction at a crucial point in time.
35.) I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic. Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.

And the clincher:

78.) I will not tell my Legions of Terror "And he must be taken alive!" The command will be "And try to take him alive if it is reasonably practical."

EO#6: unless he's not planning on actually killing anybody.  Seeing Aniz clearly, I don't think he's actually got May or Hennya's deaths in mind.

Quote from: Alondro on May 03, 2007, 08:53:18 AM
*Charline chuckles*  Fur-coloring.  Magic may not hide a clan marking, but simple paint or dye will do the job.  I would use that, but my marking is in a place not usually seen in public.  *blinks at the stares*  What?  Oh I see!  It's on my upper right thigh, ya pervs!  ;)

Why couldn't you have mentioned that half a week ago when I wondered about how he kept May from realizing while they were in bed?

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 11:23:58 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2007, 11:17:24 AM
Nah.  Devin was an adventurer, so he's most likely killed a load of people in his time.  He took down an Angel for one.

This is true.  On the other hand, Cid may have attacked because Aniz was out pillaging and burninating.

(( Edit: Fixed the quote. Hope you don't mind... -- llearch ))

[edit-reply]not at all, boss.  ASCII is not the most ideal codeslinging method around.  I forgot to check it before posting.[/edit-reply]

llearch n'n'daCorna

I just had a horrible thought.

Aniz wanders out, leaving them all alive.

Cid wanders back in, asking if everyone is ok - he's "seen Aniz leaving and was worried"...
... only it's Aniz again, stirring the confusion up even more.

Repeat two or three times, alternating displaying himself as Aniz and hiding as Cid, and he could get them questioning their sanity, perhaps to the point of suicide, with a little effort.

... Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Roureem Egas

On a completely different note from the "Kill Aniz" train of thought, I just noticed that the way his bangs fall around his eyes is close to how I've been having my hair the past few days. Not that it's bad, but it's the first time I felt the way my hair looked was awesome.

So...did Cid/Aniz always have a ponytail? :B

Whitemagebishieboy

Which would be oh so amusing with all the people saying kill aniz.
You all get so overly emotional about about fiction, it's funny.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:25:53 AM
Honestly, I'm going to go contrary and say I like Aniz already.  I absolutely love his opening line for this comic.

EO#6: unless he's not planning on actually killing anybody.  Seeing Aniz clearly, I don't think he's actually got May or Hennya's deaths in mind.

Very true.  Indeed, this is a common motif for my own character, since he is best at feeding on fear.  Come to that, it's probably why I kind of like Aniz too...

Quote from: Whitemagebishieboy on May 03, 2007, 11:36:17 AM

Which would be oh so amusing with all the people saying kill aniz.
You all get so overly emotional about about fiction, it's funny.
Nah - it's the hallmark of good fiction.  In fact I think we've had this conversation before...

**EDIT**
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=1810.msg74630#msg74630

Sunblink

Quote from: Whitemagebishieboy on May 03, 2007, 11:36:17 AMYou all get so overly emotional about about fiction, it's funny.

When fiction can invoke the same reactions as reality, it's the mark of a fantastic writer and an excellent story. It happens.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 09:52:45 AMDamn straight.  That frame is probably the single weirdest part of the entire episode.  Aside from the fact that he smacked May up and killed Cid, I'd say he's being friendly.  Of course he might simply have got high on all the emotions floating around (fear, pain, confusion etc).

He doesn't seem so much happy as giddy and flip.  He's coming across as a narcissistic, shallow man who lives for the moment and simply trying his best to be a mindf*ck.

Aniz should be able to handle the emotional rush, since I'm sure he's been in highly emotional situations, before.  Anyways, if he's not able to handle the emotions, he should be exhibiting the emotions that he absorbed--pain, confusion, fear, anger...

I'll try to do a reading of how Aniz sounds to me tonight.  Mainly to explain why I don't think I can do him if we're to be taking what he said at face value.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 09:52:45 AMIs he winking and gesturing at Abel?  Because he adores his son but hates his 'wife'?

Possibly.  He doesn't seem to be taking much notice of Abel, though.  He answered his question, but not much else.  It doesn't explain why he's winking and sticking his tongue out.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2007, 10:58:54 AMOr it could simply be that Aniz is a giant jerk who decided to act all playful even as he shreds both his son's and his wife's world to pieces. Classic evil villain: one who acts boisterous even while committing unscrupulous deeds and as he unveils his evil evil plan.

Not really.  Classic B-movie evil villain, perhaps.  I'll have to reread Othello, but Iago is one of those totally evil characters.  No one knows why he hates Othello, and no reason is ever given.

But Iago doesn't seem to enjoy doing it.

Contrast Don John from Much Ado about Nothing (or...Ooh!  Prince Hal and Falstaff).  He's constantly glib and facile, but he doesn't make elaborate plans; he makes simple plans and immediately acts on them.

Aniz is acting like Don John, but the plan to deceive May and live with her for 25 years seems more like Iago.

Quote from: Regal on May 03, 2007, 11:12:53 AMAs has been mentioned before, 20+ years is nothing to a cubi.

As has been mentioned before, it's not nothing.  It's something like a couple months.  Especially when the payoff lasts only a night (our equivalent of roughly 11 minutes).

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:25:53 AMBy the way, does his behavior seem familiar?  I think we know where Abel got his "I'm a jerk, but I'm a nice jerk" personality from.

This is not the same personality.  Abel's is ``Oh, I totally don't care about anyone else (sotto voce) but secretly, I do.''  Aniz is more, ``You look like fun!''

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:25:53 AMEO#6: unless he's not planning on actually killing anybody.  Seeing Aniz clearly, I don't think he's actually got May or Hennya's deaths in mind.

He better be.  Otherwise, if May talks and adventurers ever come across someone that they think might be Aniz again, the first thing that they'll ask him to do is take off his bracers.

Also, does the clan marking look like a masonic symbol to anyone else?

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2007, 11:39:19 AM
Very true.  Indeed, this is a common motif for my own character, since he is best at feeding on fear.  Come to that, it's probably why I kind of like Aniz too...

Wow, Cubi seems to be the most common race around here.  You silly cubi.  Lycanthropy, all the way!

Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 11:41:24 AM
This is not the same personality.  Abel's is ``Oh, I totally don't care about anyone else (sotto voce) but secretly, I do.''  Aniz is more, ``You look like fun!''

Hmm... good point, though he's got the "ADHD on CRACK!" effect going on, so maybe I confused the two.

Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:25:53 AMEO#6: unless he's not planning on actually killing anybody.  Seeing Aniz clearly, I don't think he's actually got May or Hennya's deaths in mind.

He better be.  Otherwise, if May talks and adventurers ever come across someone that they think might be Aniz again, the first thing that they'll ask him to do is take off his bracers.

This is a Demon city.  I don't think most of the adventurers around here are particularly welcome.  Cid was doubtless an exception.

Now that I think about it, May seems to be handling her broken nose pretty well.  If the violence stays subdued for a while, and they can get attention to it soon enough, she'll probably be fine... but I just had this predictive flash that May may not live out the night.

superluser

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:50:16 AMThis is a Demon city.  I don't think most of the adventurers around here are particularly welcome.  Cid was doubtless an exception.

Even if Cid were the sole exception, May could certainly go back to Cantiv, which seems to have a bunch of adventurers.

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 11:50:16 AMNow that I think about it, May seems to be handling her broken nose pretty well.  If the violence stays subdued for a while, and they can get attention to it soon enough, she'll probably be fine... but I just had this predictive flash that May may not live out the night.

It's probably not broken, just bloodied.