2007-03-24 [Abel 78] - Charming

Started by superluser, March 24, 2007, 12:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Hey, I've got an idea, May--why don't you *give the charm to Abel*?

If you stick him up against a wall or something, Cid probably won't notice the lack of wings until you have time to explain it all.

Edit: Eep!  Lousy numberpad.  Date fixed.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Nino

ARGH CLIFFHANGER!

And hmm, May seems to be way too worried about this. Maybe she is hiding something?

Edit: "Was" an adventurer? Guess that puts the camp out the rest that say cid has to be a cubi 'cause he's still advernturing at that age.

xHaZxMaTx

In the fabled words of Harry from 'Beebo: The Cat what has Facial Hair' - "Oh snap!"

Zedd

Ah Zen...Figures that would happened

superluser

Quote from: Kattuccino on March 24, 2007, 12:50:42 AMAnd hmm, May seems to be way too worried about this. Maybe she is hiding something?

I dunno.  That had been my theory, but her reaction here seems not to fit.  Unless she's trying to come up with excuses to take the attention away from her.

As for being too worried, if you had just heard stories about a creature that rips the faces off of its victims and wears them like Hannibal Lecter (the impression that I get from Hennya's description is *not* that of shapeshifting), then you might be concerned about what your adventurer husband might say.

Of course, if she did give the morphing amulet to Abel, that should be pretty conclusive proof that Abel is not being impersonated.

I'm just glad that I forgot the title that I initially had planned for this strip: It's Goofy Time!

LoneHowler

I think we know which parent is the cubi now
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Manawolf

"She said a swear."

Anyway, The charm would get rid of his backwings as well, so that'd just lead to more suspicion.

superluser

Quote from: Manawolf on March 24, 2007, 01:21:56 AMAnyway, The charm would get rid of his backwings as well, so that'd just lead to more suspicion.

Which is why you put him up against a wall or something.

Or, you could give the charm to Abel, and preemptively tell Cid that Abel found a creature-being morphing amulet.  Since Abel still appears to be Abel (and not, say, Dr. Ink), Cid can assume that Abel's not being impersonated.  When the charm is removed, and the headwings appear, Cid will just assume that someone cast a spell on Abel to make him look like an incubus.

Izkata

Quote from: superluser on March 24, 2007, 01:08:07 AM
Of course, if she did give the morphing amulet to Abel, that should be pretty conclusive proof that Abel is not being impersonated.

I don't think so.  It's not a "True Form" amulet, it's a Creature-To-Being amulet, as Hennya said a couple of comics ago.  I mean, it morphed her away from her true form!

Manawolf

How is putting him against a wall is going to hide missing wings.  It's not like they're small enough to fold up completely behind his back.

Titanium Dragon

Well, its entirely possible he'll make an extremely disarming comment, like "Oh, it looks like your headwings have finally come in Abel". Hilarity ensues. Or he'll go ballistic. Or accuse his wife of cheating on him. Or realize an incubus has impersonated him. Or make the same assumption the others made.

In the end, I'm sure this won't end exactly "well" for Abel, and I'm sure his father will figure out/know he's really an incubus.

superluser

Quote from: Izkata on March 24, 2007, 01:31:12 AMI don't think so.  It's not a "True Form" amulet, it's a Creature-To-Being amulet, as Hennya said a couple of comics ago.  I mean, it morphed her away from her true form!

I would think that it would be difficult to have anything that powerful work without disrupting existing morphs.  Remember--it's not designed for shapeshifters, because they wouldn't need it.

Quote from: Manawolf on March 24, 2007, 01:31:51 AMHow is putting him against a wall is going to hide missing wings.  It's not like they're small enough to fold up completely behind his back.

Given episodes like 56 and 30, I'd suspect that it would probably be possible for Abel to hide them well enough that no one would notice that his wings are gone unless they're actually looking for them.  Cid would probably just assume that they're there, and in fact, when he thinks back to that day, he'd probably remember seeing them.  Memory makes a habit of metonymy.

Roureem Egas

Somewhere, drowned out in the sound of a slammed door was the sound of a brain snapping. Poor May and Abel.  :<

Cogidubnus

Oh Dear. May had better help Abel out fast, else, something very dire could happen.

Cid, being a former adventurer, could easily recognize the marks of a Cubi, and Abel is too inexperienced to hide them, of course. Perhaps there shall be a family spat, or perhaps, he shall simply attack the Cubi impersonating his son. Cubi are dangerous creatures, after all.
It would be the work of a moment to yell "It's not Abel, it's an incubus!", and one thing leading to another, Abel could be driven from his family as a monstrous incubus impersonating their son, never to see them again. May and Cid, of course, would never know what 'really' happened to their poor son.

It would explain alot about ol' angsty pants loincloth, at least.

kaskar

Have to admit, Cid would pick 'just' the wrong time to walk in. No one seems to slip Abel the charm yet, or anything much yet . 
8) Just Hanging Around ...

kaskar

I wonder what good news Cid has. Maybe, " I was tracking down some demons and I found a Cubi dead after another  groups battle ? " Or maybe a variation on such ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Goatmon

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 24, 2007, 02:17:44 AM
Oh Dear. May had better help Abel out fast, else, something very dire could happen.

Cid, being a former adventurer, could easily recognize the marks of a Cubi, and Abel is too inexperienced to hide them, of course. Perhaps there shall be a family spat, or perhaps, he shall simply attack the Cubi impersonating his son. Cubi are dangerous creatures, after all.
It would be the work of a moment to yell "It's not Abel, it's an incubus!", and one thing leading to another, Abel could be driven from his family as a monstrous incubus impersonating their son, never to see them again. May and Cid, of course, would never know what 'really' happened to their poor son.

It would explain alot about ol' angsty pants loincloth, at least.

Any Cubi skilled enough to shapeshift into Abel's perfect likeness would have the skill to hide their headwings, so I don't imagine Cid would think that, initially.  He'd probably have suspicions but I don't see him attacking his son on sight.  Getting startled or upset, sure, but not violent. 

Fex

awwww those two snake heads are so cute when they pull that face  :3

Turnsky

ooooh, freakout time.. i love these..

although some answers as to the hows and whys of abel being a 'cubi may be answered in subsequent issues..

although i should really be doing other things than perusing the forums and DMFA.. >.> <.<

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aridas

Nobody cared when he had the first two wings, so either way their son is still a creature...

On another note, yes, I might go crazy too if my son looked like... like... shit, too.

Tapewolf

[Whistles the theme from Company of Wolves again]

The big question is whether - assuming he is a Being - Cid will know what Abel is.  Devin had no idea, despite being able to vanquish an Angel.  If he doesn't know about 'cubi either, then he probably won't see / want to see that his son is really an incubus.

Which would be fine for Abel until they realise he isn't ageing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tilvan the Storyweaver

The above comments are all valid, however no one has said the important one.

Abel looks  :mowmeep ing adorable in panel 2.

Zedd

Well I am all glad for the comic so far even if its a cliffhanger moment, Cid might get might peeved seeing his son looking something he has no clue and/or does know about

Turnsky

Quote from: Zedd on March 24, 2007, 07:04:43 AM
Well I am all glad for the comic so far even if its a cliffhanger moment, Cid might get might peeved seeing his son looking something he has no clue and/or does know about

true, or Cid might just be the 'cubi part of Abel's bloodline, as for looking old, well, 'cubi ARE shapeshifters and all, it wouldn't be too far from the truth.

guess i'll just haveta wait and see..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Stig Hemmer

Prediction:
Cid goes: "Oh, I knew that since his clan mark showed up."
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

King Of Hearts

Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid... you got some 'splainin' to do.

Narethlian

The first thing that ran through my mind was 'Dun-dun-duuuuuuuh.'

The second was a quote: "This will all end in tears, I just know it."

-Nar

Prof B Hunnydew

It will interesting If Cid gets the amulet, and it does change his form.  It does not seem to work on Beings.  May had the amulet,and it didn't change her.  But it may change a Creature shapeshifted into a Being.  We don't know.

But there will have be some way of May to figure out that Abel's father or Cid's family has Cubi Blood in them.  and If it is too Soon then May could lose her mind, if she is not close to that alright.

PBH

Moonfrost

Sunblink

Quote from: Narethlian on March 24, 2007, 09:05:59 AM
The first thing that ran through my mind was 'Dun-dun-duuuuuuuh.'

The first thing that ran through mine was "Headwings are serious business."

This is where I think that the line about Abel promising not to be a monster will finally surface, especially if Cid's discovery results in a terrible outburst. Maybe Cid and May will get into a horrible argument if it Abel's conception was thanks to an Incubus impersonating Cid, and then Cid might turn on Abel next and go on declaring that he's a monster, he's not his son, et cetera et cetera all that angsty jazz and that May actually did cheat on him and that everything the townspeople said about her was right.

Abel might be driven from the home despite May's earnest protests, and left to wander the streets. But I have no idea what would happen next after that. I just think that it won't be pretty.

Personally I want to find out what Kria was doing to Devin's corpse.

Quote from: Moonfrost on March 24, 2007, 09:21:19 AM
:) No comment.

Then why post at all?

~Keaton the Black Jackal