2007-02-24 That's a lot of words

Started by superluser, February 24, 2007, 02:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Under most Earth-based circumstances, I would call ``medical healer'' redundant, but I'm curious about here.  Would this be in opposition to, say, faith healers?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Manawolf

Religion doesn't seem as widespread in Furrae, thus less divine healing.

Roureem Egas

Interesting interpretation there, Hennya. :P

I forget, where's Cid during all of this?

superluser

Oh!  Just noticed!

``Missus Soulstealer...she dead.''

The rational part of my mind is telling me that this isn't a reference, but I find life much more enjoyable when I pretend that people are making more references to literature than I know they are.

LionHeart

Quote from: superluser on February 24, 2007, 02:39:12 AM
Under most Earth-based circumstances, I would call ``medical healer'' redundant, but I'm curious about here.  Would this be in opposition to, say, faith healers?
I'd imagine that there would be magical healers around... if there's a difference in Furrae.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

superluser

Quote from: LionHeart on February 24, 2007, 03:00:45 AMI'd imagine that there would be magical healers around... if there's a difference in Furrae.

That's the question that I was raising.  Why would she need a medical healer, and not a magical one?  Also, do the healers have such a distinction that they medical healers wouldn't want to learn magical healing?

I'm assuming that there's some reason for this.

Nino

Quote from: superluser on February 24, 2007, 03:06:14 AM
Quote from: LionHeart on February 24, 2007, 03:00:45 AMI'd imagine that there would be magical healers around... if there's a difference in Furrae.

That's the question that I was raising.  Why would she need a medical healer, and not a magical one?  Also, do the healers have such a distinction that they medical healers wouldn't want to learn magical healing?

Uggh. You are almost certainly over-analyzing that comment. "Medical" could imply that there was magic involved anyway since it's so integrated into a lot of things in their world.

Plus, "she" would not need one at all -- Abel would =P

Aridas

I'm hoping that abel's missing words for those last two are something like  "...ran away" and "devin is..."

Azraelle

The boy's been traumatized ... of course he's not speaking clearly.

Arcalane

Brunhidden

I assume that few people would ever want to cry out "Quick! someone get a hippie!" regardless of how accurate the term would be. considering that the option of abel rushing home to tell them that he was killed is considerable, i am led to believe that at the time magical healing is still the norm while medical healing is for special purposes such as when you want to treat a victim for shock without frying their brain so they think smurfs are crawling on your skin and you have to run and scream "GET EM OFF!" otherwise they'll implant eggs in your ear.

what we've seen of mabb and magic leads me to believe thats approximately what would happen if you ask a mage to heal someone who is delirious. other reasons could be WHO knows magic, for example if your just a regular nonmagical person and magic users can be divided neatly between insane fey and things that want to eat you.

QuoteFor the birds that cannot soar, God has provided low branches.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Someone outta slap him awake so he'd stop mumbling

Faerie Alex

Indeed. Then, he'd drop the amulet as well, and his mom would see what happened to him. Okay, not the entire thing, but that he isn't hurt and that he now has a second set of wings.

If not for his being in shock, he must be really energetic now. Lots of tasty confusion.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

rt

I'd go with medical healer vs magical healer myself as well.
Also if you are panicking cause your son lost his wings and looks like he just saw people die before his eyes you may not make 100% sense
Also a possibility a sick-ill-dizy amber is repetitively redundant.

Now that that is settled we've got bigger issues
.. a maniac is on the loose mugging people for their wings leaving them to wander home dead!  :B

Boog

Methinks Hennya's just a teensy bit scatterbrained. Little bit, 's all I'm saying.

My overall impression of magic was that insofar as it's concerned, Beings just know enough to keep from being eaten by demons, manipulated by angels, having their soul stolen by cubi, blown up by crazy fae, and having who knows what happen to you because of insectis. Basically, more self defense than anything else. Healing strikes me as magic that would be tough to do, considering all the variables it deals with and what it has to do at a cellular level. Ergo, a magical healer wouldn't be all that reliable, despite the results they could get when it works.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Kattuccino on February 24, 2007, 03:15:16 AM
Quote from: superluser on February 24, 2007, 03:06:14 AM

Uggh. You are almost certainly over-analyzing that comment. "Medical" could imply that there was magic involved anyway since it's so integrated into a lot of things in their world.

Plus, "she" would not need one at all -- Abel would =P

Medical healers is mainly for Wounds and Blood loss and they can use magic..  Abel does seem not to have his wings, and he is "white" in the face....

and Maybe they have

Mental healers for psychology or shrinks...

Also we have another tidbit "Anti-wing" group?... And gang of beings killing or de-winging creatures?  Oh boy, what social conflicts are there is the past?

PBH

Reese Tora

Considering the situation, and how distraught abel's mom must be at seeing her son apparently dismembered, I don't think that she meant anything specific by calling fro a medical healer.  I think it's more likely that, because she's under stress, she simply spoke the words that came to her head, no matter how correct or incorrect they may actualy have been.

I know I've misspoken plenty of stuff while under stress.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Zorro

Princess Bride, one of the Classics of Western Nerd Movies.

Aridas

If it helps any, people say "medical healer" in real life too. As opposed to stuff like psychic healers.

Slacker Spice

Brain... shut... down... Can't... form... coherent... sentences...

(I'm feeling the sudden urge to make a reference to "Mr. Monk and the Earthquake" here...)

Anyway, yes, Princess Bride for the romantic nerd win.

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Supercheese

The LizardKing

Quote from: Supercheese on February 24, 2007, 01:17:50 PM
As.... you... wish....
Not exactly a princess bride moment...although Hennya is getting married  ;)
Hennya's not quite getting the message, is she?  ???
And, for some reason, i have "Tommy Can You Hear Me," Stuck in my head. :boogie
But, still, there must be some time when abel will start speaking comprehensibly......albeit after he throws up....

bill

Quote from: The LizardKing on February 24, 2007, 01:38:07 PM
As.... you... wish....
And, for some reason, i have "Tommy Can You Hear Me," Stuck in my head. :boogie

Now I do too. I hate you.   :<

"We're not gonna take it... We're not gonna take it..."

Sunblink

I'm gonna hop aboard the bandwagon and say "poor Abel", 'cos the guy looks so absolutely exhausted and traumatized D: Things are only gonna get worse from here for him when he drops the medallion, but it's probably going to be nothing compared to watching two people brutally die before your eyes and nearly being killed yourself for him.

I have to say that May looks great in the final panel, and it did manage to get a snicker out of me. Hennya, you silly, silly Mythos, you.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

GabrielsThoughts

but the question on my mind is if Abel somehow downloaded Devin's memories, Even if Abel didn't die he may have experienced it through devin I mean.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Slacker Spice

As.... you... wish....

Eat... some... fish...

Seriously, though, Abel looks pretty shell-shocked, and it doesn't look like his mother and Hennya are helping.

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nice avatar, Shego.

Yeah. Hennya's just trying to make make sense of what Abel is nattering on about, but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, now, is she? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Azraelle on February 24, 2007, 04:33:14 AM
The boy's been traumatized ... of course he's not speaking clearly.

I guess we both agree that he's too shook up to speak clearly...and the two ladies are not helping much.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Kenji

Hehe. I like Hennya more now. I just like that response and that face.

thegayhare

you know I had a bad thought

What if Hennya's future husband is Selev's brother.  He shows up while they are trying to calm Abel down.  Comming here because he knows Hennya is there.  He's shocked to see Abel, Hennya is suprised to see him, Abel wouldn't recognise him but in the confusion Glory catches up to him and wounds him.  Hennya steps in angery to defend him only to be struck down by Glory. May screams in terror and Glory in a blind fury attacks her too.  In a last ditch effort Anhora mortaly wounds Glory befre dieing from his own injuries.  And hours later Abel is found by Cid sobbing.