2-16-07 Your best friend is your worst critic.

Started by Jim Halisstrad, February 16, 2007, 01:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Halisstrad

Kenji

Zedd

Aw well..Im sure all be reveled soon enoughs people

Aridas

Dan sure has a lot of incidents like this... No wonder he's all messed up today.

Valynth

eh, it strikes me that Dan's being more judgemental than critical.  After all, being critical is stating the hard facts, even though some might not like what they hear.  Judgemental doesn't need any facts at all, and thus far all the facts are against Dan, therefore, Dan isn't using fact, conclusion:  He's being judgemental.

If my thought processes make sense to you, see a shrink immediately.  I did, but I couldn't fit into my clothes afterwards.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Roureem Egas

It's pretty cute seeing Jyrras poke a little fun at Dan for whichever occasion Dan's trying to remember. It's also nice to see how perceptive Jyrras is.

Turnsky

Quote from: Valynth on February 16, 2007, 01:33:10 AM
eh, it strikes me that Dan's being more judgemental than critical.  After all, being critical is stating the hard facts, even though some might not like what they hear.  Judgemental doesn't need any facts at all, and thus far all the facts are against Dan, therefore, Dan isn't using fact, conclusion:  He's being judgemental.

i guess all those years of adventuring have made dan to only "judge a book by its cover", and not actually get to know the things he fears outright.

ironically Dan's being fairly "human" in the sense that he fears what he doesn't fully understand, and in a way, hates what he fears.  :)

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Zedd

But when you think Dan playing that Race card...

*then his voice becomes like a chika like hoochy accent* First hunny he gotta pick a race....Siggyty..snap snap! Creature or Being...What eva..He dont need to be picking on choosie ya knows...He just bein' hella lame...
Okay I wont do that again...In short..Dan gottas suck it up already and...JOIN THE DARKSIDE!  :mwaha....I kid..Sides he will learn soon enough whos the bigger man..Him or Jyyras

King Of Hearts

That's everything Dan has ever learned to live on as... he's what? 21-ish? and has been on the "life" for a while to build up a reputation without getting proper knowledge of things or people except "how hard should I hit It?"

Now the hard part remains...

...Dan eventually having to talk to Abel... perhaps doing a "If you EVER break my bestfriend's heart..." spiel.

e_voyager

still i have to feel for Dan. his life seems to invite near death experiences.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on February 16, 2007, 04:51:28 AM
That's everything Dan has ever learned to live on as... he's what? 21-ish?

Dan's 25, Jyrras is 21.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stygian

I wonder just how hard Abel is going to have to crunch together Dan's ego in case that he does in fact make such a statement. In this situation he has a golden opportunity to use what Jyrras said about Abel putting up a front, and turning things around for the better. Or, he can completely screw things up again, as seems to be his habit... Though that wouldn't be fun anymore. Just sad.

superluser

Quote from: King Of Hearts on February 16, 2007, 04:51:28 AM...Dan eventually having to talk to Abel... perhaps doing a "If you EVER break my bestfriend's heart..." spiel.

Dan doesn't have to talk to Abel; in fact, he should be expected *not* to.

Jyrras revealed that information in confidence, and in fact Jyrras never meant to tell Dan.  Talking to Abel would be breaking some serious confidences.

On another note, it looks like Dan really is a racist.  To quote myself on why Dan doesn't like Abel, ``Not racism, but rather like trying to stay away from that one friend who always wants to go egg police cars or something.''

But now it appears that not only is that true, but that Dan is *also* a racist, to top things off.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

King Of Hearts

There are issues between them, [not necessarily have to be about Jy] that is as good a reason as any. Dan will eventually have to get along with Abel.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 16, 2007, 06:58:24 AM
On another note, it looks like Dan really is a racist.

Arguably that's a good defence mechanism for a Being adventurer.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

Yeah but Dan and Abel has to clear this up between the two. One day Dan will say something very racist and hurt Abel real bad. If I was there I smack Dan upside his head to get the message that you should not be so judgemental. His social skills need to be worked on very seriously when talking to Abel.

DeedaeicMess

Quote from: ShiningShadow on February 16, 2007, 07:36:08 AM
Yeah but Dan and Abel has to clear this up between the two. One day Dan will say something very racist and hurt Abel real bad. If I was there I smack Dan upside his head to get the message that you should not be so judgemental. His social skills need to be worked on very seriously when talking to Abel.

Actually, Dan and Abel have already done this. Refer to #657. (I apologize, but I don't know how to link directly to specific strips.)

Abel's own words:  "Hey now. It's not like that. I'm just saying if I had to be racist, I'd have chosen the race most likely to rip out my spine and random also."

llearch n'n'daCorna

deedaic: like this:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_657.php (ie, just pasting the link into the message)
or
[ url=http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_657.php ] #657 [ /url ] which, after you remove all the spaces, turns into #657
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stygian

Aren't dragons the ones to be feared in DMFA? Or demons? I mean, those seem to be the ones that cause the greatest collateral damage. If we're talking overall negative effects, I'd say that every creature should be put on trial and have their wings clipped and powers severely limited if they can't use them for anything but selfish reasons, but hey, that's me.

No, I don't actually believe that. What? You think I would stand for such a thing? I'm just trying to keep a nice little neo-nazi tone to hide what I really think and keep the real horror back...

Manawolf

"What was she doing wearing black anyway?  Have you not seen what she does to me?  I look for any sign she might have swayed to the dark side.  I think she had a ponytail at the time too."

Aleolus

...Ok, Dan seems to have a very strong association between color and allignment.  Black is evil, white is good, gray is neutral.  I wonder what color lawful and chaotic would be?

Caswin

Brain-gears... turning...! (Maybe in the wrong direction, but let's see where this goes.)

I can buy the incident with Alexsi's dress.  Dan's just sometimes off like that.  However, in this case, I don't see much in the way of racism - if I'm reading Jyrras' analysis correctly, Abel's intentionally egging him on by playing up the image of everything he hates, understandably inflaming and, from Dan's point of view, justifying whatever bias he may have had.  It's only natural that Dan's going to do everything he can to avoid becoming like that.

If there's a problem here, I blame Abel.

But it looks like he didn't count on the mad analytical skills of... DR. JYRRAS! (Hm, maybe I should see that Hannibal Lecter movie...)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Manawolf

Quote from: Aleolus on February 16, 2007, 11:51:00 AM
...Ok, Dan seems to have a very strong association between color and allignment.  Black is evil, white is good, gray is neutral.  I wonder what color lawful and chaotic would be?

Lawful's tend to stick with one primary color, while chaotic go with a riot of different colors.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Manawolf on February 16, 2007, 11:39:26 AM
"What was she doing wearing black anyway?  Have you not seen what she does to me?  I look for any sign she might have swayed to the dark side.  I think she had a ponytail at the time too."

I agree, I mean Black is just not her color. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to come to light that Alexsi herself was half demon, or even if she was possesed by a demon fox or some other minor demon not classified in the DMFA universe, like Suicchi Minamo? from YuYu Hakisho, and the demon is just waiting for the opportunity to take over.

Of couse At this point I inject random and wild speculation.

Dan could be using the old "if it wears black then its Evil, so hit it until it stops moving" and "if it wears white it must be virgin, so annoy it till it stops moving" mentality.     
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Roureem Egas on February 16, 2007, 01:40:07 AM
It's pretty cute seeing Jyrras poke a little fun at Dan for whichever occasion Dan's trying to remember. It's also nice to see how perceptive Jyrras is.

Oh Yes, It is great to see Jyrras giving someone else alittle grief, even if it is Dan than JyJy being on the receiving end all the time.  Well, I would really wish he could have this talk with Lorenda, now...pls 

"aww Jyrras, you so cute"... tee hhee..

:mowcookie
PBH

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 16, 2007, 01:17:47 PM
Dan could be using the old "if it wears black then its Evil, so hit it until it stops moving" and "if it wears white it must be virgin, so annoy it till it stops moving" mentality.     

They're better when they're still moving... :-)+)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Boog

You must admit, the creature council doesn't exactly work at dispelling their bad reputation. Of course people are going to assume that they're not exactly nice people. Besides, as an adventuror Dan's seen 'em at their worst.
As for Alexi, she's a sibling. Need I elaborate?

e_voyager

if some ones is afraid of what you might to to them if you cross them they they are less likely to cross you and you have to expend less energy keeping those that might in line.  it's one of those cases were a negative reputation  is positives.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey